• 2 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet
  • 3 Post By AuroraTom
  • 2 Post By AuroraTom
  • 2 Post By chucksklrst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

V-1000 Test Ride

Local dealership has a used 2016 V-1000 on their lot. Sucker only has 350 miles on it. They have had it for quite a while.

I had not ridden one and was curious so I cruised over there on my V-650 and took her for a "guided ride spin." Had to follow the salesman on a prescribed route. NITR...No Imagination Test Ride. Nuts!

Fairly short ride, probably only about 10 miles thru the edge of town and a short jaunt down the freeway but enough to get an initial feel.

Very nice machine. Good power, very smooth, nice nimble handling. The seat, like most stockers could use some work. Also the ride over bumps seemed to be smoother than my V-650. My bad back appreciated this.

The power was very liner and more than adequate, but fell short of a former bike of mine. 2012 Ninja 1000 shares the same engine, but with different head, cams, etc. That bike was a bullet and bordering on scary fast. The V-1000 is much more civilized and the motor is well matched for the type of machine it is powering.

If I were still working and making good $$$$$$ I might spring for one but....being semi retired and suffering form LBD (Limited Budget Deficit) gonna have to pass.

The main motivation to ride it was an investigation for a riding buddy who is thinking about moving from his Kawa-Davidson (Kawi Voyager) to something more sporty and not sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo big and heavy.

It was fun to ride something new to me.
quexpress and Skypilot 69 like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Well, as you know I have a 2015 v1000. I really like it, power forever. You can be rolling 80 mph on the freeway and just twist in 6th and take off... I like that. I've had it on the dyno, the torque is very flat from 2k to 9k, the peak TQ was 73# @ appx 7000 rpm and the peak hp was 112. Stock with a delkevic slip on. Obviously not as nimble as the v650, but certainly less to manage than a "big" bike. the engine gets really buzzy over 6000 rpm... in fact a high vibrrrrrrration runs through the bike and seems to center on my crotch... never felt that in any bike before, and it's a feature I can live without, but it does act as a sort of notification that I'm getting the rpms up into the fun zone. I am not impressed with the suspension... I actually liked the 650 with the hyperpro lowering rear spring better. I find the v's kind of wooden, and I feel every little ripple on the road... when I don't want to. An oil change in the front can probably help that, but not so sure about the rear shock. I've been trying to dial it out, but really, the shock has to much compression damping and the shock won't absorb those little ripples. I had the same deal on my Concours 1400, nothing that 2000.00 worth of suspension couldn't fix...
hawkerjet likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM

I've yet to test ride a V1000 but I really want to. Hawker, how much were they selling the bike for?

I think if the V1000 was the same wheelbase as the V650 I would have purchased it instead, even without a test ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I've yet to test ride a V1000 but I really want to. Hawker, how much were they selling the bike for?

I think if the V1000 was the same wheelbase as the V650 I would have purchased it instead, even without a test ride.
They are asking $8995 + tax, lic, and fees.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Garage
I'd be afraid to buy a bike that never made it through engine break in or stopped halfway through. Seems like low miles can be a bad thing there. Anyone know if that is the case?

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Garage
FS or trade 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
I'd be afraid to buy a bike that never made it through engine break in or stopped halfway through. Seems like low miles can be a bad thing there. Anyone know if that is the case?
i bought my v650 with 136 miles on it. and I was a professional engine builder for years. So I guess to me there's nothing wrong with it. Steve
StormRider and hawkerjet like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
I have heard the critical break in period can be the first 50 miles or so. The rings are what need proper break in to seal properly.

That being said, this may not be true for all makes and models. I do know for a fact that KTM's 1290 Super Duke R is susceptible to this issue. A good friend is a KTM dealer and master mechanic. A couple of years ago I saw a new Super Duke R in his shop with the top end off the bike. I asked him what happened? He said the new owner purchased the bike then road down the freeway for the first 75 miles and babied the bike. He told me the rings in that engine are very hard and need high combustion pressures to force the rings against the cylinder wall for proper breakin. When the new owner failed to get on the gas hard and vary the rpm, the oil rings failed to properly seal resulting in high oil consumption.

The new owner brought the bike back complaining of using oil. After confirming this my buddy put new rings in the bike and gave it a proper breakin. Problem solved.
StormRider and NightRider like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 AM

Buying bike with very low miles

I bought my orange V1000LT (from the original owner) about 4 months ago with 180 miles on it. I completed the break in and now have about 2,500 miles on it. It has performed flawlessly!

I would do it again in a second, especially at the price I got it for! (6k).

Tom

2015 V1k
Audiovox CCS-100 cruise
Givi Crash bars
Givi windshield D4113ST
Amber LED aux lights
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraTom View Post
I bought my orange V1000LT (from the original owner) about 4 months ago with 180 miles on it. I completed the break in and now have about 2,500 miles on it. It has performed flawlessly!

I would do it again in a second, especially at the price I got it for! (6k).

Tom

2015 V1k
Audiovox CCS-100 cruise
Givi Crash bars
Givi windshield D4113ST
Amber LED aux lights
That's a great price for such a low mile bike. Previous owner must have really wanted it out of his garage before winter.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
That's a great price for such a low mile bike. Previous owner must have really wanted it out of his garage before winter.
Yes he did (although it was only June ). He was asking 7k and hadn't got any offers so he called me the day after I offered 6k and said "come and get it".

Tom

2015 V1k
Audiovox CCS100 cruise
Givi Crash bars
Givi windshield D4113ST
Amber LED aux lights
chucksklrst and NightRider like this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Garage
Yea, AuroraTom makes me angry. I just bought my 2015 V1KLT a month before he did and I paid $7350 OTD for a NEW left over black 2015 with two year warranty, 0 miles. I had to travel out of state for it though. My break in was to ride it as I would any other of my bikes. Normal mountain twisty riding. I just turned 3k miles.
weljo2001 and AuroraTom like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 10-20-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode