The KLR is discontinued will it be replaced a Team Green Adventure bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The KLR is discontinued will it be replaced a Team Green Adventure bike?

What are the rumors/speculation floating around the forum regarding the end of the KLR and if Kawasaki will show up with an Adventure Motorcycle replacement at EIMCA? According to the website there are four bikes to be unveiled at the show in November. I have heard there were upgrades to the Versys 1000 so I assume that will be one but could one of the other three be a competing model for the mid-size adventure market along with the Tenere 700 and the KTM 790.

I personally would love to see the Versys 650 engine in a more leaning off road than on road bike where I feel the Versys design leans the other direction.

What are your thoughts? Wild rumors welcome. Let's make some FAKE NEWS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-18 (2).jpg (21.2 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
twowheeladdict and jaaklucas like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Nothing like hitting both ends at the same time!

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 PM

Regenerating self healing paint....sounds like snake oil! Have to research this tech,not that I doubt someone can come up with something like that..
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:23 AM

Garage
yes. I've seen pretty solid evidence on other forums that the KLR is no more. so far, no replacement (from Kawi)

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm heading over to Biketoberfest in a few minutes. I'll hit the Kawasaki booth and try to get the "skinny"!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I'm heading over to Biketoberfest in a few minutes. I'll hit the Kawasaki booth and try to get the "skinny"!
dang it. I was wanting to go over with you but forgot all about it. Currently the V has the rear wheel/tire removed and has no oil in it. Have fun!

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 AM

I think we will see one of two replacement options from the mothership.

Versys-X 400

OR

Versys-X 650

A 400X could match and improve on the specs of the outgoing KLR handily. It could weigh exactly the same (or less), return better MPG and produce more power. The new Ninja 400 engine assumed to be the heart would be a sweet ride. They put so much work into refining the Ninja 400 to improve upon the 300 in every way, we would be lucky if they put the Versys-X through the same treatment.

A 650X seems to make more sense as it would match the anticipated size of a middle weight ADV-tourer. And it would help Kawi be competitive with the ever expanding line of V-Strom 650s. No one is going to fault reliability of the current 650 twin so it qualifies for remote touring.

I say its going to be one or the other because the two products would compete with each other (some) if on the market at the same time.

I guess they could do a Versys-X 400 AND a Versys-X 1000 while leaving the 650 line alone. There is a noticable lack of ADV bikes in the Kawi lineup, even when the KLR was alive. So I could see a change happening at the top end of the segment also, as that is likely where the bulk of the sales are.

Any way they have decided to go will be interesting. They could set some early hooks in the middleweight ADV market with the right bike, but are also lagging in the ADV offerings overall so their next move could be playing catchup.... only 17 days till we find out

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i just spoke with a dealer friend today. Seems an adventure bike with the v650 engine is in the wings. Steve
DaveC, AlaskaJeff and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
dang it. I was wanting to go over with you but forgot all about it. Currently the V has the rear wheel/tire removed and has no oil in it. Have fun!
Ya missed nothing! As usual, Biketoberfest is just a miniature Bike Week...which means a Harley-fest with a bunch of poser's!

The ONLY brand that was represented...Indian. The stadium felt empty. Even less vendors. Main Street was the same old, same old.

I decided to go to the Motorcycle Flea Market. They wanted $7 admission. I asked if there were any metric bike part sellers. The old guy looks at me, pauses...and says, "Naw, I don't think so." I told him I'd pass and that I wasn't surprised as nothing falls off of metric bikes! I guess between his Harley t-shirt and facial expression, he wasn't happy with my comment!
onewizard and NightRider like this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Garage
I want the 400 Adv/DS bike. I already got a 650 (and a 250) (and a liter bike)

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
I think we will see one of two replacement options from the mothership.

Versys-X 400

OR

Versys-X 650

A 400X could match and improve on the specs of the outgoing KLR handily. It could weigh exactly the same (or less), return better MPG and produce more power. The new Ninja 400 engine assumed to be the heart would be a sweet ride. They put so much work into refining the Ninja 400 to improve upon the 300 in every way, we would be lucky if they put the Versys-X through the same treatment.

A 650X seems to make more sense as it would match the anticipated size of a middle weight ADV-tourer. And it would help Kawi be competitive with the ever expanding line of V-Strom 650s. No one is going to fault reliability of the current 650 twin so it qualifies for remote touring.

I say its going to be one or the other because the two products would compete with each other (some) if on the market at the same time.

I guess they could do a Versys-X 400 AND a Versys-X 1000 while leaving the 650 line alone. There is a noticable lack of ADV bikes in the Kawi lineup, even when the KLR was alive. So I could see a change happening at the top end of the segment also, as that is likely where the bulk of the sales are.

Any way they have decided to go will be interesting. They could set some early hooks in the middleweight ADV market with the right bike, but are also lagging in the ADV offerings overall so their next move could be playing catchup.... only 17 days till we find out
Don't get me wrong... I love my Versys 650 but I think that adding weight to the current 650 to make it a 650x may turn many prospective buyers away. Most potential buyers for middle weight ADV bike are wanting a motorcycle to be close to or under 400lbs wet.

With the current Versys being 454 lbs wet they would need to re design the bike to make it interesting to the middle weight ADV market and myself.

Between the Yamaha Tenere 700 and the KTM 790R Kawasaki would (IMHO) not have very good sales numbers for a Versys X650

It is hard to believe that my 2013 Versys 650 and my 2010 BMW F800GS weight roughly the same. The 650 looks so small next to the BMW.

Last edited by Heavyhiking; 10-25-2018 at 01:34 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If they do a Versys X 400 would they kill of the X300? I heard somewhere that they were making changes to the Versys 1000 but nothing specifically about an X version.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 AM

My friend is a avid Klr fan, he buys a new one every 3 years, he's pretty devastated that are ending its run.
I personally always thought they were a gutless heap of crap masquerading as a dirt bike.. Ridden a few and none have impressed me.
onewizard and Smiley like this.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
My friend is a avid Klr fan, he buys a new one every 3 years, he's pretty devastated that are ending its run.
I personally always thought they were a gutless heap of crap masquerading as a dirt bike.. Ridden a few and none have impressed me.
BUT you have to admit that they will go ALMOST anywhere, w/ just a hammer and slot-screwdriver for tools....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:10 AM

Garage
"My friend is a avid Klr fan, he buys a new one every 3 years, he's pretty devastated that are ending its run.
I personally always thought they were a gutless heap of crap masquerading as a dirt bike.. Ridden a few and none have impressed me".

... well... you are wrong. the KLR was not really ever a dirt bike... never lauded as that, and not the intent, not it's purpose. it was, and still is the best dual sport/adventure bike ever (with one possible exception). it does everything pretty well, and most things very well. think about that.. everything. and that is what made it an exceptional machine. that is why it made over 30 years in production. the KLR leaves big shoes to fill. anyone up to the task? I will buy one.

Last edited by Beezerboy; 10-27-2018 at 02:43 AM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 AM

Garage
I've owned two KLR's... it's time for them to die.

so it goes...
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
BUT you have to admit that they will go(have gone ) ALMOST anywhere, w/ just a hammer and slot-screwdriver for tools....
Ficksted for ya Eddie. No charge.

I still have one, a '98. Among other things, it has a nice big dent in the gas tank, a wheel that is cracked between two spokes(JB Welded), and wonderfully oxidized paint. it is very well farkled. I love riding the thing. Will probably be the "going to Alaska" bike in 2020.

I obviously don't do anything too knarley but it does put a smile on my face. Running Shinko 705s is a good fit for me and what I do with it.

I sure am glad that there are a lot of different bikes around for lot of different folks.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode