• 1 Post By GDP RIDER
  • 1 Post By tennistime99
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By zirconx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Track stands that will fit a 2015 650?

Hi-

Here is a pix of the swing arm on my new-to-me 2015 650.

It appears that there are already mounting points (spool?) for a track stand. From reading some other threads, it looks like there are various sizes/styles of these spools, that work with different brands of stands. Can anyone give me the identity of these spools, and what they might fit? Also, it looks like from some other threads that there might be interference issues with some stands used on the 15 because of the rear taillight?

Thanks

-dm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181015_100429155.jpg (92.5 KB, 42 views)

-dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've never seen spools like yours. Until I received ones I'd ordered from China (Ebay), I just used two 8mm bolts w/ a nut to 'lock' them to the swingarm on my '15 V650.

I used to have a Harbor-Freight aluminum rear-stand, and BOTH are visible in this pic.

I've since replaced the H-F stand w/ a TREX rear, which is MORE confidence-inspiring.

BTW - IDENTICAL to what I have in AZ for my '08 except for color, and NO interference w/ the 'tail-light'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:30 PM

The interference problem is with the splash guard that hangs down below the license plate bracket......I just cut off the excess that hung down lower than the license plate. Moved the reflector up to the bottom of the license plate and all is good.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
The interference problem is with the splash guard that hangs down below the license plate bracket......I just cut off the excess that hung down lower than the license plate. Moved the reflector up to the bottom of the license plate and all is good.

This could create a problem if dm needs to ride in a humid area.

I say that because did the same modification but mud and rain would now splash up onto the rear topcase, etc. I then needed to install a mudflap under the license plate to get rid of the rooster tail.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Looks more like a slider than spool for lifting.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
This could create a problem if dm needs to ride in a humid area.

I say that because did the same modification but mud and rain would now splash up onto the rear topcase, etc. I then needed to install a mudflap under the license plate to get rid of the rooster tail.
I've ridden in lots of "wet conditions" since chopping that off and a small amount splashes up on the top rack but not much. It was so narrow that it didn't stop much when it was there......a tire hugger would be a much better idea.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I've ridden in lots of "wet conditions" since chopping that off and a small amount splashes up on the top rack but not much. It was so narrow that it didn't stop much when it was there......a tire hugger would be a much better idea.
Agreed, the strip of plastic below the license plate is not doing much, and looks weird. Bike should have come with tire hugger included stock.

After I chopped my "tail" off, I added the license plate LED. No problem putting my bike on spool stand now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2252.jpg (17.8 KB, 30 views)
Duffy likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Red face Skidmarx Wheel Hugger

Quote:

I can only guess that wet conditions up here are different than in your area.

I already have a rear wheel hugger on my Versys.

Note: Disregard the bottom piece in this last pic. I was comparing the colors of the 2 items for someone.

I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Stopped by a friends house today with the bike. He rebuilds Japanese bikes as a retirement business. He identified these as the bobbins for the track stand, although he couldn't identify the brand.

After I left his house and drove home, I managed to drop the bike for the first time (second time in my life I've done it). Decided to practice hill starts (a non-issue for scooter, but a big issue around here for "real" motorcycles) Took my left foot up too quick as I was getting going and then stalled out. Foot slid out as I was putting it back down. Bike appears to be totally undamaged except once scrape on the OEM saddlebag, and a nick on the left hand guard. Turn signal was resting on pavement, but not damaged. Apparently saddlebags keep the bike just upright enough!

Folks drove by a few seconds later asking if I was hurt, and I replied only my ego.. Pleasantly surprised that I could lift it back upright by myself (even using bad technique). Give it 10 minutes for the fluids to settle and it started back up.

Went back to practicing and found that I actually was feeling much relieved.

-dm

-dm
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Do your bobbins have grooves in them like the spools on my bike? You can see how the stand fits in the grooves below. You can also see that the Harbor Freight stand has no interference with my bobbed fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2253.jpg (72.5 KB, 21 views)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Those are weird spools.

I have standard shape rear spools. There are a lot of brands out there that all look pretty similar to each other but not like yours. Most track stands should work with most spools. I'd say "all" work with "all" but we all know there are surprise exceptions.

I have T-Rex brand front and rear track stands. They are super solid and worth the $$. You can spend less, and honestly a lot of people say the cheap Harbor Freight stands don't fall apart. Still, I prefer to buy once and cry once so I splurged on the T-Rex. The T-Rex rear stand has adjustable width jaws, so no matter how wide or narrow you bike, it will fit.

The tail of the rear fender is plenty bendable, so there's no problem with the T-Rex stand. Sometimes the stand bumps the fender a bit but it doesn't hurt anything at all.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 AM

I call tell you the Pit Bull rear stand marketed for the Gen 3 won't work with the stock fender in place. After communicating with Pit Bull about this issue, they said they would stop marketing that certain stand for the Gen 3. Pit Bull then told me to try the rear stand marketed for the Hayabusa. That one was better, but still interfered with the rear fender too much. Before I could return that one, a soccer mom rolled into me at a stop light and broke off the lower portion of my fender. I cleaned the break up with a Dremel tool, and will probably just keep it that way. Most (not all) of the rain and salt and slop get caught by what's left of the fender and a plate backer I have and the top case, and now the PB Hayabusa stand works just fine. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM

I bought the Pit Bull Handle Forward style for my V 650 and R3 which doesn't require removing the rear fender assembly. I can't remember if the versys uses 10mm spools or 8mm. But it works fine to lift the rear of the V for checking chain tension.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Last edited by GDP RIDER; 10-17-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Pitbull sells a rear stand where the handle points towards the front of the bike and is off to the side. I'm guessing that one would work without hitting the rear fender.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I can only guess that wet conditions up here are different than in your area.

I already have a rear wheel hugger on my Versys.

Note: Disregard the bottom piece in this last pic. I was comparing the colors of the 2 items for someone.
I have ridden the Versys in NW Washington and southern BC (quite a bit, the weather up there is "moist" to say the least)........and when it rains here in the Black Hills is flat dumps...............buckets.

PS....I like that "hugger", who makes it?

Last edited by Duffy; 10-17-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM

Red face

Quote:
I have ridden the Versys in NW Washington and southern BC (quite a bit, the weather up there is "moist" to say the least)........and when it rains here in the Black Hills is flat dumps...............buckets.

The roads up here are quite dirty. I would imagine that it could be the difference.

Quote:
PS....I like that "hugger", who makes it?
Skidmarx in UK.
In 2016 I purchased it from streetfightersbydesign.com in USA ($165.00 + $15.00 shipping). However their web link does not seem to work.
Skidmarx in UK would certainly tell you who is now the distributor in USA.
Good luck!
Duffy likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
... Also, it looks like from some other threads that there might be interference issues with some stands used on the 15 because of the rear taillight?
True.

Here's a post on how I modified the stand to make it work without having to modify the bike. I like my fender to be stock. :-)

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1193426
quexpress likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistime99 View Post
Pitbull sells a rear stand where the handle points towards the front of the bike and is off to the side. I'm guessing that one would work without hitting the rear fender.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Pit bull forward handle rear stand

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQk4iTnack

Last edited by MattR302; 10-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode