2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
New to me/used 650 squeaking noise

Hi-

After getting a lot of responses favoring the 650 over the 300 last week, I pulled the trigger on a 2015 650 LT/ABS with 11k miles on Friday.

I had test ridden the bike at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and then on Friday I basically just took it around the parking lot a few times to make sure it still shifted, lights worked, etc. Then we rolled it into my truck and I brought it home.

The first time I took it out on the road, I notice that there seems to be what I would call a loud squeak when I apply the rear brakes. The pads look ok, and the rotor looks ok to me, no signs of scoring or damage. So I'm wondering what it could be.

Thanks for any wisdom on the subject,

dm

-dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you know if the brake pads are new? The first hundred km or só they can do that.

Also If the prévios owner dos some off road and If some sand grains where caught between the disk and the pads it could dent the brake pads and make that sound untill you wear the break pads passing the damadge zone. I did this on my almost new bike. It helps to pass some fine grade sandpaper to the pads. Don't forget to do on both so they are even.

Either way the dealer should take care of it for you.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face Gen 3 650: Squeaking, etc. Rear Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
Hi-

After getting a lot of responses favoring the 650 over the 300 last week, I pulled the trigger on a 2015 650 LT/ABS with 11k miles on Friday.

I had test ridden the bike at the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and then on Friday I basically just took it around the parking lot a few times to make sure it still shifted, lights worked, etc. Then we rolled it into my truck and I brought it home.

The first time I took it out on the road, I notice that there seems to be what I would call a loud squeak when I apply the rear brakes. The pads look ok, and the rotor looks ok to me, no signs of scoring or damage. So I'm wondering what it could be.

Thanks for any wisdom on the subject,

dm
See: Brakes/ Improving Gen3 650s rear brake longevity

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

If I read the above thread correctly, this would seem to imply that the rear brake rotors are somewhat warped.. Do I read that correctly? If so, my experience with cars is that this is more of an annoyance issue, and not an immediate safety(must fix now) issue, correct?

Thanks

-dm

-dm
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...The first time I took it out on the road, I notice that there seems to be what I would call a loud squeak when I apply the rear brakes....
Is it possible that you're applying enough rear brake to stop the wheel, so you're hearing the 'squeal' from the rubber sliding?
jschmitt0715 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
If I read the above thread correctly, this would seem to imply that the rear brake rotors are somewhat warped.. Do I read that correctly? If so, my experience with cars is that this is more of an annoyance issue, and not an immediate safety(must fix now) issue, correct?

Thanks

-dm
I don't believe that it's an immediate safety issue ... but I found it annoying enough to retrograde to a Gen 2 rear brake unit.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This is what dealer post sale service is for. Likely a non issue if rear brakes still work ok.

Clean disks and pads with brake cleaner.

The rotors will not warp unless prior owner dragged rear brake till it was red hot, which is highly unlikely or caliper was installed incorrectly on rear swing arm.

Also check pad thickness although pads should last 4-5x miles you have
Randyjaco likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats and do a long run and see how the brake works. If its still annoying , high time for service.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Tried spraying the rear brake with brake cleaner today. After a good hosing down most of the sound seems to be gone. The pads are new, so I suspect maybe some dust/grit had gotten into somehow and the spray washed it out. We'll see how long it lasts.

On a related topic, beautiful fall weather here, and I took it on a 165 mile ride around the Mountain Loop highway yesterday. Up to Arlington on I5, then east through the Oso landslide to Darrington, then south on the unpaved section of the Mountain Loop winding along the Sauk river, then back on pavement at Barlow Pass. Stopped at Big 4 Mountain/Ice Caves for lunch and then continued west. Turned off on the Mt Pilchuck road and did the 7 or 8 miles of very bumpy gravel... I think the roads climbs about 2000 feet or so to the base of a long abandoned ski resort. Did most of the uphill in 1st gear (to avoid having to downshift) and standing. Coming down was mostly standing, but letting the engine idle in 2nd. I think on that road I would have preferred the lighter weight and lower gearing of the X300. Definitely also would have been nice to turn off the rear ABS.. Since I was not that familiar with the bike, I wasn't really sure what the ABS computer was thinking it was doing on the rear brake sometimes. Stayed totally off the front brake the whole way down... Fortunately compression braking is excellent. Pretty tired by the time I got back on pavement. Worst part was arriving back in Pugetopolis just in time for Friday afternoon rush hour. Nearly had an issue doing a hill start on a steep hill at a busy intersection with a long line of cars behind me.

Today I had to run an errand and got back on the Burgman 200. Although I'm starting to appreciate the Versys, what a delight the little point-and-go scoot is in city driving, and no issue with hill starts. I think the vertical CG on it is about 1 foot off the ground, and at 30 it can slalom lane markers in a way that the Versys could only dream of. Each has it's place, and I'm starting to lean towards keeping both.

-dm

-dm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:33 PM

favored diagnosis, rear brake squeal from new pads. if the calipers are otherwise working, it should go away with time.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I think I've cured my 650 of this squeal. Full confirmation may have to wait for warmer weather, but indications from rolling it in the garage are good. I ended up doing just about everything:
1. Removed the rear pads (which are almost new) and sanded them with 400 grit.
2. Apply a small amount of brake grease to both the pin that the "ears" of the pads go thru, and also to the back of the pad that the caliber pushes on.
3. Bought a small 1 inch spring that is just slight larger than the pin. It effectively applies a small outward force on the pads when the brakes are not activated. The spring is very lightweight, and can easily be compressed with your fingers. But every car that I've ever worked on has had some type of "anti rattle" spring on the disc brakes effectively doing the same thing.

On a separate topic, I bought a Pit Bull forward handle stand. I must be a wimp, but I can't push down on it hard enough to get the bike up on it by myself. I either need a helper our use ratchting cargo straps going to bolt eye in the ceiling joists to get the back end weight low enough to lift. The handle on the stand also interferes with the kickstand, forcing me to raise the kickstand before putting the bike on the stand, which makes me nervous.

-dm

-dm
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Garage
Is there a particular reason you chose the forward handle stand over he rear facing? My rear facing would fine.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 PM

The forward stand is great but it is very hard to push down. I bought the handle extender for mine it is a lot easier to use.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I bought the forward handle because of all the comments about having to do surgery on the rear mud flap to use a conventional stand. I rigged up a system using two cargo straps and screw eyes in the garage ceiling to both stabilize the bike (since you have to have the kickstand up to use the stand) and to take some of the weight off when I flip it up onto the stand.

-dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode