• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laid her down (again) - slight coolant loss?

So I pull into the garage yesterday after a nice afternoon ride, put my left foot down to extend the kickstand, and SOMEHOW it never makes it and me and bike wind up on our side, about a half inch from nailing my car in the next spot over. It was kind of a controlled drop and I hit the garage floor very gently. I have NO idea how it even happened - completely uneventful docking almost complete, then... FAIL! I had a similar spill months ago when attempting to BACK into the garage. Broke my clutch lever that time. This time it got slightly tweaked but is otherwise fine and fully functional.

The bike started dripping coolant while it was on its side. I had it upright within a couple of minutes, and it continued to drip just slightly for a few minutes, then stopped. Total loss was probably a few tablespoons. My question to you guys is - is this "normal"? Or have I damaged something that needs to be addressed?

'17 Versys 650
'16 VW Golf R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Probably just lost some out of the coolant over-fill tank. I wouldn't worry too much about it...
NightRider and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if it was coming out the hose at the bottom of the bike once up right, like weljo said just some coolant coming out the overflow from the explanation tank, in just fire it up and let it run till the thermostat opens up and check for leeks but if there are none your good to go

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:05 AM

Yep,
a couple of years ago I had a little crash against a car.
when I stand up the bike there was some coolant fluid on the ground.
So I called a tow truck.
Once I was at home, I checked carefully but there were no damages.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Dropped mine twice. Both times in the garage. One time taking it off the paddock stand and the other time my wife's CUV was out and I stepped in a pool of A/C condensate. Bent my brake pedal the first time and the shift lever the second. I don't recall spilled coolant after either event but I have had a add a wee bit of coolant last spring. Purchased new in June, 2015 (it's a 2015 model).

I purchased the Kawasaki frame sliders and found them worthwhile as are the hand guards. The sliders don't offer crash bar level protection but served me well on these oops events.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM

I had this happen to my Ninja 650 along the shoulder of a road. I was concerned too but the mechanic at the shop told me not to worry as weijo wrote.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you and your bike are safe, better to check your coolant level and top up if necessary.

What happen to you is called RAM Action- Random accesses memory action. Pulling into the garage is something we do always and we are so confident that we forget the physical part of our action and just let our memory act and that's when things start to go wrong. Next time in the garage , stop , relax and say to yourself that your parking your bike. This action will check your physical action against your random actions.

Hope I make some seance here..
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Hope I make some seance here..
Only if you have contacted the dead.
onewizard, Fastoman and NightRider like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Good Post / C/W Humor / Humour

Quote:
Glad you and your bike are safe, better to check your coolant level and top up if necessary.

What happen to you is called RAM Action- Random accesses memory action. Pulling into the garage is something we do always and we are so confident that we forget the physical part of our action and just let our memory act and that's when things start to go wrong. Next time in the garage , stop , relax and say to yourself that your parking your bike. This action will check your physical action against your random actions.

Hope I make some sense here..
Thanks for posting, and this has happened while riding, mind drifts off to the surrounding scenery , next thing you're almost in the ditch.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...Hope I make some sense here..
As Fastoman's first language is OTHER THAN English, I just gave his post a "one-letter" reduction, along w/ a "one-letter" change....

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Probably just lost some out of the coolant over-fill tank. I wouldn't worry too much about it...
Yeah, if the bike is dropped the coolant will exit through the overfill tank top nozzle and down the hose onto the ground.
I dropped my V on the left side once when I first bought it a year ago (when I was still getting used to its weight) and the same thing happened.
Once the little bit of coolant that was in the hose finished getting out, everything was fine and dry again and I didn't even need to top it up.
Hope this eases your mind.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
As Fastoman's first language is OTHER THAN English, I just gave his post a "one-letter" reduction, along w/ a "one-letter" change....

Thanks for the corrections....that was a typo error..
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode