• 4 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-yama...e-video-review

Spoiler alert. Versys 650 gets the nod as better bike for avg. riders while Yamaha goes after short and small riders.
Kyle E and Devilsfan like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It would be nice if Yamaha brought it here just so we had a choice, but I wonder if they would change the spring rates if they did offer it in America? As a population Europeans are smaller and lighter than Americans....

Doesnt really matter the Versys looks better anyways

And I doubt this would come here anytime soon, it would slightly compete with the Tracer 900 and their naked bikes. It could compete with a T7 Tenere, but nothing competes with a bike that doesnt exist (bitter about Yamaha takin their sweet old time with that bike, and not fully committing to it being available in the USA anyways..... )

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The general gist I've gotten from people who've ridden both bikes is that the Versys has a better chassis and suspension, the Tracer has the better motor. I've ridden a MT-07 and would agree with this sentiment, at least on the motor, that 700cc twin is a much nicer motor than the V650 motor.

Yamaha is also offering a Tracer 700GT in Europe, but it only adds the saddlebags from the Tracer 900GT and a unique paint color, but nothing else.

For the US market I suspect Yamaha will only sell the Tenere 700 here, which I hope motivates Kawasaki to build a Versys 650X with wire wheels, longer travel suspension, etc.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM

I just got back from Belgium and while there had a chance to throw a leg over it on the showroom floor.

The display-only-demo (lol) deal breakers for me were the tight fitting cockpit and the less sophisticated suspension. I'm 5'11, 198 lbs and the foot pegs were just too far back for my liking (I felt similar when I demoed the FJ09 in the U.S. a few years back). The Versys feels much roomier but still sport-able.

There's no denying the 700's engine however. I've ridden the FZ-07 and that thing is a sweet singing, torquey gem!!

Wish I had more time there because demos and rentals are plentiful at the (awesome) dealerships! Beautiful country though with lovely people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_172953.jpg (100.7 KB, 42 views)
Devilsfan likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:39 AM

Yup, rode the Tracer 700 on the same tyres as my V650 mk3 (Michelin Pilot Road 4) over some mountain roads and my sentiments follow what you guys are writing.

V has a noticeably better suspension and is more composed on turns. Also I like the feel of the brakes better, though I wouldn't call Tracer's brakes horrible, just not as precise.
The Tracer's engine is better in general, but has worse on-off throttle characteristics. It can be snatchy. This is a problem compounded by the underdamped suspension - picture braking into a corner, then slowly adding throttle in lean, the motor yanks abruptly and the bike starts pogoing slightly due to the jolt. It's definitely better than the base MT-07/FZ-07, which was almost unrideable for me with the stock suspension and the abrupt throttle. Yamaha seems to have added *some* damping to the forks, together with a longer swingarm, both of which help, but Versys is still ahead wrt smoothness and control in the bends.

The Tracer is noticeably lighter and more flickable at slow speeds. Almost feels like a 300, which is impressive considering the center of gravity is probably high. At the same time, it feels more like a toy made out of plastic compared to the Kawi. Could be just the subjective impression due to smaller weight though, I didn't notice any objective deficiencies in build quality.

Stock wind protection is better on the Versys for me. Ergos are subjective, I could fit fine on both with my 6'3 height but Versys seems slightly more suited to long tours while Tracer is slightly more aggressive.

Overall, I'm convinced I made a better decision for buying the Versys than waiting for the Tracer. Handling and comfort is more important than power for me.

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Yup, rode the Tracer 700 on the same tyres as my V650 mk3 (Michelin Pilot Road 4) over some mountain roads and my sentiments follow what you guys are writing.

V has a noticeably better suspension and is more composed on turns. Also I like the feel of the brakes better, though I wouldn't call Tracer's brakes horrible, just not as precise.
The Tracer's engine is better in general, but has worse on-off throttle characteristics. It can be snatchy. This is a problem compounded by the underdamped suspension - picture braking into a corner, then slowly adding throttle in lean, the motor yanks abruptly and the bike starts pogoing slightly due to the jolt. It's definitely better than the base MT-07/FZ-07, which was almost unrideable for me with the stock suspension and the abrupt throttle. Yamaha seems to have added *some* damping to the forks, together with a longer swingarm, both of which help, but Versys is still ahead wrt smoothness and control in the bends.

The Tracer is noticeably lighter and more flickable at slow speeds. Almost feels like a 300, which is impressive considering the center of gravity is probably high. At the same time, it feels more like a toy made out of plastic compared to the Kawi. Could be just the subjective impression due to smaller weight though, I didn't notice any objective deficiencies in build quality.

Stock wind protection is better on the Versys for me. Ergos are subjective, I could fit fine on both with my 6'3 height but Versys seems slightly more suited to long tours while Tracer is slightly more aggressive.

Overall, I'm convinced I made a better decision for buying the Versys than waiting for the Tracer. Handling and comfort is more important than power for me.
The Tracer 700 must be damn near unridable, like 1st gen FZ-09 level of bad? The Versys already has fairly snatchy throttle response and marginal fueling during on/off throttle. I've test ridden a 2018 XSR700, which has all of the same updates that the 2018 MT-07s got and I found its fueling was a bit smoother than the Versys, the US doesn't get the Tracer 700, but we do get its big brother and I have test ridden a Tracer 900GT and it has incredibly smooth throttle response even in A mode, Yamaha went to great lengths to fix the throttle response issues that used to plague their triple.

It almost sounds like the Tracer 700 is more akin to the V-Strom 650 than the Versys. The V-Strom 650 has VERY soft suspension and feels like your riding on a pillow, though the bike is still well balanced and a breeze to ride at low speeds, the Versys is MUCH more stable when pitched over at 75mph in a sweeper, (by contrast the V-Strom 1000 has very firm and sporty suspension, but slow steering). I will also add the V-Storm 650 has very smooth throttle response too, unlike its big brother, the V-Strom 1000 is a little snatchy, but not bad.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 10-29-2018 at 12:36 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The slightly bigger, slightly more refined, slightly less exciting, Versys is still the better choice for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
The Tracer 700 must be damn near unridable, like 1st gen FZ-09 level of bad? The Versys already has fairly snatchy throttle response and marginal fueling during on/off throttle. I've test ridden a 2018 XSR700, which has all of the same updates that the 2018 MT-07s got and I found its fueling was a bit smoother than the Versys, the US doesn't get the Tracer 700, but we do get its big brother and I have test ridden a Tracer 900GT and it has incredibly smooth throttle response even in A mode, Yamaha went to great lengths to fix the throttle response issues that used to plague their triple.

It almost sounds like the Tracer 700 is more akin to the V-Strom 650 than the Versys. The V-Strom 650 has VERY soft suspension and feels like your riding on a pillow, though the bike is still well balanced and a breeze to ride at low speeds, the Versys is MUCH more stable when pitched over at 75mph in a sweeper, (by contrast the V-Strom 1000 has very firm and sporty suspension, but slow steering). I will also add the V-Storm 650 has very smooth throttle response too, unlike its big brother, the V-Strom 1000 is a little snatchy, but not bad.
With the Shoodaben ECU flash, the comments about the throttle response all change and the Versys has the same smooth and linear power delivery like I noticed on the Tracer 900GT. Off course it doesn't make the 650 a 900!
onewizard, SteveJ and Devilsfan like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
The Tracer 700 must be damn near unridable, like 1st gen FZ-09 level of bad?
Haven't ridden the FZ-09, but I can tell you Tracer 700 is more refined than 1st gen FZ-07. They did fix some of the more glaring issues with the 07, not just slapped some fairings and called it a day. I actually had fun riding it in the Spanish twisties. On the same roads, the naked 07 was horrible. Several riders that took a 1st gen FZ-09 said it was just as bad.

So, the 1st gen naked FZs are "give it a powerful engine and low price, it'll sell". They had terrible fueling and subpar suspension. The Tracers were apparently tailored to a different market and Yamaha put some effort into refining them which, I hear, later trickled down to 2nd gen FZs. I have no personal experience with 2nd gen naked FZs, but heard they're a big improvement.

Having said that, the mk3 V650 still felt more refined than the Tracer 700, to me, though with a worse power-to-weight figure. If you're more into handling and corners than wheelies and acceleration, go for the Kawi. Disclaimer, that might be owner's bias.

2015 Versys 650
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Haven't ridden the FZ-09, but I can tell you Tracer 700 is more refined than 1st gen FZ-07. They did fix some of the more glaring issues with the 07, not just slapped some fairings and called it a day. I actually had fun riding it in the Spanish twisties. On the same roads, the naked 07 was horrible. Several riders that took a 1st gen FZ-09 said it was just as bad.

So, the 1st gen naked FZs are "give it a powerful engine and low price, it'll sell". They had terrible fueling and subpar suspension. The Tracers were apparently tailored to a different market and Yamaha put some effort into refining them which, I hear, later trickled down to 2nd gen FZs. I have no personal experience with 2nd gen naked FZs, but heard they're a big improvement.

Having said that, the mk3 V650 still felt more refined than the Tracer 700, to me, though with a worse power-to-weight figure. If you're more into handling and corners than wheelies and acceleration, go for the Kawi. Disclaimer, that might be owner's bias.
I'm glad to get this perspective. I'm planning a supported tour in Spain next year and I've selected the Tracer 700 as my primary choice of bike. I was hoping it would be somewhat similar to my V 650 but different enough to be interesting. I can't wait to try that engine. I'm not a wheelie guy (bwahk bwahk) but I appreciate a torqueyish engine. I hope I've chosen wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode