Got Carved on Yesterday - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Got Carved on Yesterday

Good thing I got the new flash and had a couple of days to ride and report on it cuz I'm grounded for a couple of weeks.

Age 65 and first trip ever to see the dermatologist last month. All good except an old mole on my right cheek.

So he wacks it off and sends it to the lab. Result came back as squamous cell carcinoma and required further investigation.

Now have a 1 inch plus incision from my cheekbone heading down. This is right where my helmet hits my cheek.

Post op instructions state, don't sleep on it, press or pull on it, take it easy, etc for a couple of weeks. Swell, ain't that a peach.

I told the bike today and now the headlights look kinda sad.

Momma told me there would be days like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:40 PM

I just had two of them excised today, mine are Basal Cell Carcinoma's so not quite as bad. One on the face below the left eye and the other on my chest. This makes about 26-27 I've had removed.

Too much time along the equator I'm told.........
hawkerjet likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
I've been hearing that these experiences are the result of 20 year old mistakes. Just like with motorcycles, it's better if you can learn from other people's mistakes.

Hats and sunscreen have become part of my daily carry gear. At 46, I'm realizing that I actually might live to see my 60s.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 PM

Hawkerjet...sorry to hear the news. Hope everything get's taken care of quickly!
hawkerjet likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Hats and sunscreen have become part of my daily carry gear.
I always wear a hat to keep my old bald eagle from getting cooked. Not much on the sunscreen.

According the the Dermatologist, hats and clothes don't eliminate the harmful rays.

And the only sunscreens that do anything helpful are the ones with the zinc oxide in them.

Oh well, as Joycelyn Elders, Former Surgeon General of the United States, once said. "We're all gonna die of somethin." Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200px-Joycelyn_Elders_official_photo_portrait.jpg (36.0 KB, 12 views)
Fastoman, weljo2001 and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Garage
Here's hoping that you been there, done that, all fixed and forgotten.
And don't you mean Admiral Elders?
cyclejohn and hawkerjet like this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

GWS Hawkerjet.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 AM

I know it too. Mine was my right ear, now out of shape after a 17mm wedge carved out. A bit hard to wear a helmet over that for a while. Ear plugs don't fit properly as the ear canal has a kink in it. And I have a nice S scar down, where incised to clear lymph nodes. Surgeon ( BMW rider) said damage was probably done by the time I was a teenager, and who wore hats and sunscreen in the 1950s and 60s?
But I live on to ride.
All the best Hawkerjet.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I know it too. Mine was my right ear, now out of shape after a 17mm wedge carved out. A bit hard to wear a helmet over that for a while. Ear plugs don't fit properly as the ear canal has a kink in it. And I have a nice S scar down, where incised to clear lymph nodes. Surgeon ( BMW rider) said damage was probably done by the time I was a teenager, and who wore hats and sunscreen in the 1950s and 60s?
But I live on to ride.
All the best Hawkerjet.
Probably that Southern Hemisphere sun to blame. Everybody knows the sun in the land of Oz is stronger than up here in the land of American Blokes...Lol.

I was real concerned that he was gonna remove both ear lobes. They are always crusty, occasional bleeding, etc. He hardly looked at them. Oh well, guess I dodged a bullet on that one.

BMW rider??? Man ya gotta watch out for those guys...Lol. I have a couple of riding buddys who have Beamers. Too expensive for my retired budget.

"Live on to ride"...man I like the sound of that.

Cheers mate.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Garage
I feel for you. I had to fast and drink 4L of chemical to prepare my colon to have a GoPro shoved up my ass yesterday on the end of a plumbers snake for an internal inspection. The stuff I had to drink is like the fire marshall arriving in your stomach......

"Everybody needs to clear the room - cabbage, carrots, chicken exit at the back of the stomach and go down the stairs to the rear exit, no, no Dorritos, the other door - use the rear exit. Everybody leave now" 🙂
Smiley and Duffy like this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I feel for you. I had to fast and drink 4L of chemical to prepare my colon to have a GoPro shoved up my ass yesterday on the end of a plumbers snake for an internal inspection. The stuff I had to drink is like the fire marshall arriving in your stomach......

"Everybody needs to clear the room - cabbage, carrots, chicken exit at the back of the stomach and go down the stairs to the rear exit, no, no Dorritos, the other door - use the rear exit. Everybody leave now" 🙂
U bee a funny man! I appreciate good humor.

I did the camera on a snake procedure a few months ago. Second one in the last 10 years. The first prep was very much like you describe. This time however was more "pleasant." Only had to drink one gallon instead of 5...Lol.

Got a good report back too. Heck some of the pics looked like the island of Kauai!

Cookin Wid Gas

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

God, this old age sh!t needs to stop............instead it just gets worse. Where are these "Golden Years" they always talked about. Those plumbers snakes are once every ten years from 50 on............
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...Oh well, as Joycelyn Elders, Former Surgeon General of the United States, once said. "We're all gonna die of somethin." Lol.
HOPE they got ALL of it, Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
..."Everybody needs to clear the room - cabbage, carrots, chicken exit at the back of the stomach and go down the stairs to the rear exit, no, no Dorritos, the other door - use the rear exit. Everybody leave now" 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
God, this old age sh!t needs to stop............instead it just gets worse....
It DOES "stop", but THAT one is VERY final....

Duffy and hawkerjet like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
God, this old age sh!t needs to stop............instead it just gets worse. Where are these "Golden Years" they always talked about. Those plumbers snakes are once every ten years from 50 on............
Don't get us old farts started! Colonoscopy's are no fun. I had 3 in one year and another coming up in November. They keep finding pre-cancerous polyps. Oh, and I have diverticulosis and may have to have a section of colon removed. The dermatologist seems to delight at burning and cutting things off my bald head.

When I get together with my friends the conversations always include a discussion of each others ailments.

Part of the joys of the "Golden Years"
hawkerjet likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 PM

if it's squamous and they got it all, you should be ok. is your dermatologist a mohs surgeon? you can look it up. basal cell is more common, but what you don't want is melanoma. even then, caught early, melanoma is curable as well. hope you heal fast and sure.
Buffalo_Bob and hawkerjet like this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
if it's squamous and they got it all, you should be ok. is your dermatologist a mohs surgeon? you can look it up. basal cell is more common, but what you don't want is melanoma. even then, caught early, melanoma is curable as well. hope you heal fast and sure.
They have a MOHS surgeon on staff who worked on me.
tommyvous59 and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Uh so I have to admit your post is completely different than what I was expecting. By "carved on" I was expecting you to write an R6 cut under you going up Palomar or somesuch.

And I had a different cheek pictured than the one on your face.

Hope you get all healed. I'd rather be terrified by 18 wheelers than by surgical instruments.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
...but what you don't want is melanoma. even then, caught early, melanoma is curable as well....
Back in '91 I mentioned a mole on my ear to my GP, who cut it off then sent it to the lab. Results came back - negative. About six months later I mentioned it'd grown back to the GP. AGAIN he removed it, said EVEN THO' THE FIRST WAS NEGATIVE - he would send it to the lab, but "Don't worry....".

A few days later I arrived home around midnight from a flight, my answering-machine's message light blinking, so pushed the button to hear..."Ed, this is Greg **** - phone me as SOON AS YOU GET HOME, NO MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS!"

I almost 'crapped' myself, but phoned anyway to be told to meet him at "Emergency" early the next morning, and that it was melanoma. I went to bed (don't remember IF I slept, figuring this was a death-sentence!), got up early and went to "emerg". (IF I remember correctly - he said that the WORST melanoma was a 'level 5', and that MINE was a 'level 4' that was touching the next epidermal layer [which WOULD have been a 'level 5'] that SOMEHOW the lab had missed the first time, but on re-checking it WAS there - must've been lunch-time....), so he cut MORE off the ear, and I started seeing the TOP doctor at the Calgary "Tom Baker Cancer Centre" for at least 5 years of checks.

During that time he removed a very rare cancer, as well as basil and squamous "Cs" from me, but I'm STILL here, tho' I see a "skin doctor" every 6 months.

AND I've ridden MORE than 220,000 MILES since then.

THIS post was #15,550 - I HOPE I've got another 15,550 posts [or more] left in me...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:25 PM

once you've had melanoma, you're at increased risk for another. keep up those 6 month check ups and call you're doc if anything suspicious pops up. otherwise, KEEP RIDING AND KEEP LIVIN'.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:28 PM

i haven't officially had anything taken off, but I have done a few "finger nail excisions" in the shower, as my ENT calls them !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode