'16 front fork teardown - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'16 front fork teardown

needed to install a new seal in the left front fork. read the posts here and the service manual. i'm too ignorant to figure out how to 'remove the top plug after loosening the preload adjuster guide rod nut'. what do you need to , hold, unscrew, push out, severe, etc?? i'm afraid to hold the outer shell of the guide rod, as it is hollow and can be crushed. how do you pop that top plug out?

please, alms for the ignorant.
thanks
bob

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-19-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsad View Post
needed to install a new seal in the left front fork. read the posts here and the service manual. i'm too ignorant to figure out how to 'remove the top plug after loosening the preload adjuster guide rod nut'. what do you need to , hold, unscrew, push out, severe, etc?? i'm afraid to hold the outer shell of the guide rod, as it is hollow and can be crushed. how do you pop that top plug out?

please, alms for the ignorant.
thanks
bob
Please refer to: Gen3 Versys 650 – Front Fork Oil Change
IMHO lots of your requested information in that post.
Good luck!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

that was a great post, with all the pictures and descriptions. unfortunately, it skips right over the info i need; namely, how do you get the top plug off the inside shaft? using the large socket will get it out of the main mounting, but doesn't help me removing it off the guide tube.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

on page 13-11 in the service manual (dealing with the right fork leg), "•Remove the top plug together with the damping adjuster
rod [A] from the damping adjuster guide rod [B]". it doesn't tell me how that is accomplished.
on page 13-14, it doesn't tell me anything. "•Remove:
Spring Preload Adjuster Rod [A]
Preload Adjuster Guide Rod Nut [B]
i can't use the cool tool you fabricated because i can't get the top plug off.
make sense?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Cool

Quote:
on page 13-11 in the service manual (dealing with the right fork leg), "•Remove the top plug together with the damping adjuster
rod [A] from the damping adjuster guide rod [B]". it doesn't tell me how that is accomplished.
on page 13-14, it doesn't tell me anything. "•Remove:
Spring Preload Adjuster Rod [A]
Preload Adjuster Guide Rod Nut [B]
i can't use the cool tool you fabricated because i can't get the top plug off.
make sense?
To take the top plugs off, simply use a 30mm socket.
As shown in the post: "For the left fork, before loosening the fork plug, turn the preload adjuster fully counter clockwise. This will make it easier to remove the fork plug. While doing that, remember to take note of the number of turns that you originally had on the preload. This will permit you to put it back in the same position after having changed the oil and reassembled the fork."
Once you have that left fork cap off, you will need the tool to remove the rod guide case. The middle rod will then come off with the guide case.
For the right fork, once you have the cap loosened, you will see a nut under the top cap for the damper rod. Loosen it to remove the top cap and the damper rod from the right fork.

Note: Do not try to remove that damper rod from the top cap. It should remain attached to the cap.

Important: Take note of your adjustments before opening the forks AND

The nut under the top cap of the right fork is used to adjust the height of the damper rod within the right fork damper assembly. Take note of the distance from the top cap for the nut on the damper rod. This will make it easier for you to line up the forks on assembly.

This parts fiche could be helpful.

Hoping that this helps you.

I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

i've obviously done a bad job of explaining my predicament. hopefully, attached is a picture of my progress, or lack thereof. right after your italicized section, therein lies my confusion: how to remove the top cap? i counted, unscrewed and slid down. now what? how do i remove that !#%%^&* top cap without hurting the remainder of the mechanism? what do i need to hold, twist, undo?
thanks for all your patience.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 PM

Cool

Quote:

i've obviously done a bad job of explaining my predicament. hopefully, attached is a picture of my progress, or lack thereof. right after your italicized section, therein lies my confusion: how to remove the top cap? i counted, unscrewed and slid down. now what? how do i remove that !#%%^&* top cap without hurting the remainder of the mechanism? what do i need to hold, twist, undo?
My memory isn't what it used to be ... but I'll give it a shot!

Is that the left fork cap? Right under the cap is a square portion (similar to a nut or bolt head) permitting to use an open wrench (19 mm I believe). For the nut on the bottom tube, use another wrench. You should then be able to unscrew the fork cap from the rest of the mechanism.

Quote:
thanks for all your patience.
Patience is certainly not my forte. However I have learned and keep learning from others. That's what these forums are all about.

Keep asking questions and you'll get there.

I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

i've done that. in the picture, the nut that i undid is laying, loose about 4 inches below the bottom of the top cap. the top cap is still, very attached to something. the shaft below the cap can be turned by hand, if you place the 30mm. socket on the top nut of the top cap. what is it i don't understand?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
i've done that. in the picture, the nut that i undid is laying, loose about 4 inches below the bottom of the top cap. the top cap is still, very attached to something. the shaft below the cap can be turned by hand, if you place the 30mm. socket on the top nut of the top cap. what is it i don't understand?
Please look at the attached left cap pic.
Portion A is the whole top cap assembly. Do not try to take it apart.
The objective is to separate part A from part B which is simply a tube that pushes down onto your fork spring.
The nut on this tube is used to lock the tube onto the fork cap after both have been screwed together.
I vaguely remember mine being stuck into the top cap. It is screwed on tightly. I think that I wrapped a piece of leather (an old glove) around that tube and clamped it (go lightly) with a vice grip. A wrench was used on the bottom portion of the fork cap (an arrow points to it).

That's about it. I hope that this makes sense.

Note: I need to sign off in a short while and will not be on the forum for a few days. Hopefully you will be alright. I'll check later tonight.

Following is a pic of that left fork when the cap has been removed. Sorry for the blurry pic. At the time, I did not think that I would ever need it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg left top cap.jpg (62.7 KB, 8 views)

I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
According to 13-10 Suspension

It states to loosen the top plug (B) beforehand if disassembling ( 13-10), also to do it after the upper clamps are loosened.. 13-2 is a exploded version showing the top plugs which I think are still attached in your photo. Go to page 13-11, the point you are at requires two wrenches , second photo down page 13-11. Page 13-13 shows left front fork, same thing. You mention Service manual I see over 6 photos, showing the use of the wrenches, with the wrenches in place in the photo.
Nothing personal but I would advise you take a closer look, it doesn't say to turn clockwise or counterclockwise, however keep in mind that a mistake by you could cost you your life, it might warrant heading to the nearest dealer, with the parts in a box. FYI rather than look at the PDF version, I went into my garage and dug out my paper copy of the 2015 service manual, no one asked me to do it, just trying to solve your problem.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-16-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Cool I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
It states to loosen the top plug (B) beforehand if disassembling ( 13-10), also to do it after the upper clamps are loosened.. 13-2 is a exploded version showing the top plugs which I think are still attached in your photo. Go to page 13-11, the point you are at requires two wrenches , second photo down page 13-11. Page 13-13 shows left front fork, same thing. You mention Service manual I see over 6 photos, showing the use of the wrenches, with the wrenches in place in the photo.
Nothing personal but I would advise you take a closer look, it doesn't say to turn clockwise or counterclockwise, however keep in mind that a mistake by you could cost you your life, it might warrant heading to the nearest dealer, with the parts in a box. FYI rather than look at the PDF version, I went into my garage and dug out my paper copy of the 2015 service manual, no one asked me to do it, just trying to solve your problem.
I agree with Glen's comments.
BTW these are all right hand threads (turn right to tighten or turn left to loosen).

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

quexpress, you are the man!! your explanation and suggestion worked like a charm. i used cabinet shelf paper, as my cheap leather gloves were too slippery and didn't work. that sucker was really stuck on that guide rod shaft. small vice grips, set to medium strength did the trick. the shaft didn't distort and all seems well. for others with the same problem, i used the smallest portion of the shaft, right under the threads and above the loosened guide rod nut.
may the force be with you.
bob
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
I was really looking forward to seeing those 16-foot front forks. I was just trying to imagine the seating position ;-)

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
I was really looking forward to seeing those 16-foot front forks. I was just trying to imagine the seating position ;-)

Randy
Sorry, Randy - I just used my "SUPER MOD" Super Powers to move that punctuation mark....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:46 PM

i overhauled my forks last year, but i'll be damned if i could explain it !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode