• 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Did my first wheelie

...on a street bike that is, and it was a complete accident. I was stopped behind a woman turning left, and she had several opportunities to turn, but I could see in her mirror that she was too involved in her cell phone to actually pay attention to driving (common problem around here). Anyway, after she finally turned, I ripped on the throttle and felt the front end come up about three feet. In reality it was probably more like 3 inches. But it got me to thinking I want to do it again, but I'm scared. I'm in my 40s and the farthest thing from a dare devil, so I probably won't do it again...not on purpose at least.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. As I am DEFINITELY NOT a hot dog on a motorcycle I have never pulled a wheelie, or tried, on any of my bikes.

But, I was going to work one morning and there was a wreck. It backed up traffic for a mile or so and the only way to get to school was pulling a U-turn and going back. As I made the turn and started to pull away (I was actually still in the turn...but almost out!) I felt that front wheel lift off the ground!!!

Kinda startled me as I was afraid I might dump it but was able to straighten up in time. Whew!!!

It didn't pop up more than an inch or two but it was enough to get the heart rate going a little faster!
james75 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
nope wheelies are the drug of the bike =p once you do one you gotta have more lol

the v650 will do second gear clutch ups easily
Devilsfan likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Well I have a different take when it comes to wheelies. I absolutely love doing them and was really good about a hundred years ago...Lol.

Growing up on 2 wheels my first real bicycle was a Schwinn Stingray. It did not take long before I could wheelie it all the way around the block, earning me the moniker "wheelie king" from my friends.

A few years later I began riding and racing dirt bikes. Most of my early ones were not very good wheelie machines until I got hold of a 400 CZ. Man that bike was a wheelie monster. Loft the front wheel in 2nd gear then shift on the fly to top gear and disappear into the sun set at the balance point on the back wheel. I literally clocked hours of time on the back wheel.

Of course today I can still do that but only in my mind. Today's wheelies consist of rolling on the gas and lofting the front wheel maybe a foot. While not very spectacular it still brings on that wonderful giddy feeling.

I don't like to abuse the clutch on my V to loft the front wheel, so I mostly rely on rises in the road to assist.

There are a few wheelie monster street bikes out there like KTM's Super Duke R. I had the privilege of riding a couple of them. They are like having helium in the front tire. Just a little flick of the right wrist and you are heading for the moon. If I were wealthy I would have one in the garage.
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
...But it got me to thinking I want to do it again, but I'm scared. I'm in my 40s and the farthest thing from a dare devil, so I probably won't do it again...not on purpose at least.
Just keep in mind that MOST police departments WILL charge you w/ "stunting" if they catch you doing wheelies. Co$t$ $ AND points.

AND if you do it wrong you'll find yourself sliding down the road on your side....

-

IF you still want to learn how, get a dirt-bike and practice in the woods.
quexpress and hawkerjet like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just keep in mind that MOST police departments WILL charge you w/ "stunting" if they catch you doing wheelies. Co$t$ $ AND points.

AND if you do it wrong you'll find yourself sliding down the road on your side....

-

IF you still want to learn how, get a dirt-bike and practice in the woods.
I started riding dirt bikes 40 years ago and rode and raced growing up. And did plenty of wheelies in my day. Got my first street bike at 18 and have never done, or had a desire, do do a wheelie on the street. It was just kindof a cool feeling. And I don't plan on making it a habit. I can't afford to repair my bike if I flipped it over backwards.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I started riding dirt bikes 40 years ago and rode and raced growing up. And did plenty of wheelies in my day. Got my first street bike at 18 and have never done, or had a desire, do do a wheelie on the street. It was just kindof a cool feeling. And I don't plan on making it a habit. I can't afford to repair my bike if I flipped it over backwards.
I'm w/ you - I could wheelie "out-of-sight" when racing dirt, but have NO interest in doing wheelies on a 'street-bike'.

An aside: our club (QTRF) held ice-races on the Ottawa River a few miles just E of Hawkesbury, ON. As my farm was just about 5 miles away I would ride down [studded-tires, OF COURSE!!!], race, then back home again, but one PARTICULARLY 'nice' winter day after everyone else had gone I did a wheelie ACROSS to the Quebec side (somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide), then turned around and did another all the way back to Ontario. FUN!

james75 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Garage
One of the harley riders at work thought he'd be cute and show me how fast his bike is.

Of course, he didn't tell me first. I caught up at the next traffic light and accidently showed him how ineffective traction control can be at keeping the front tire on the ground.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode