SW-Motech Center Stand on Gen3? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Cool SW-Motech Center Stand on Gen3?

Hello,
Does anyone here have a SW-MOTECH centre stand installed on his Gen3 (2015-2018) Versys 650?
If so, could you glance at your right foot-peg and tell me if you believe that a lowered right foot-peg would interfere with the spring mechanism of the centre stand?
<img

Any insight would be much appreciated!


Thank you!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 09-12-2018 at 10:22 AM.
quexpress is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Last Thread/ No Clear Answer

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...h+Center+Stand

Several posted that it worked on their bikes, some 2015, however no photos or description if their bikes were lowered. With some positive input along with photos I will add this info to How To Forum.
onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...h+Center+Stand

Several posted that it worked on their bikes, some 2015, however no photos or description if their bikes were lowered. With some positive input along with photos I will add this info to How To Forum.

Hi,


I'm focused on lowered foot-pegs ... not lowered Versys. For a lowered Versys, the legs on the center stand need to be shortened (which I will do if I purchase one).
I need to know if the lowered right foot-peg will clear the center stand spring/mechanism.



Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Hello,
Does anyone here have a SW-MOTECH centre stand installed on his Gen3 (2015-2018) Versys 650?
If so, could you glance at your right foot-peg and tell me if you believe that a lowered right foot-peg would interfere with the spring mechanism of the centre stand?
<img

Any insight would be much appreciated!


Thank you!
Just measured on my '15 650LT - the foot-peg 'bolt' (pin?) center to the center of the LOWERED foot-peg 'bolt' is pretty close to 1.32".

HOPE this helps you.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just measured on my '15 650LT - the foot-peg 'bolt' (pin?) center to the center of the LOWERED foot-peg 'bolt' is pretty close to 1.32".

HOPE this helps you.

I appreciate your effort Ed but that's not what I need.


I need for someone who has a SW-Motech center stand on his/her Gen3 Versys 650 to look at the right foot peg and see if it would clear the center stand spring assembly if the foot peg was lowered.


Thank you!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Member
 
Versys Riding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 7
Garage
Just looked at mine and snapped a quick few shots. I hope they help. But that "U" shaped mount under the foot peg is part of the mount for the center stand and my finger shows how close it is to the stock foot peg and as far as the spring, that sticks pretty far out so it would seem that any lowered foot peg would have to mounted far off the bike and not really work out. But again, hope the pictures help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181005_095836.jpg (55.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_095824.jpg (56.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_095747.jpg (54.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_095343.jpg (59.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_095406.jpg (61.0 KB, 38 views)
quexpress likes this.

Just go for a ride.
Versys Riding is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Looked @ Reversing sides

I looked at my bike, Speedy peg lowering has a large nylock nut that would interfere , also looked at using the right mount on the left side and vise versa . Having the pegs mounted on the forward facing side of MotoWerk lowering, the nut would be forward, everything else the same, however the foot brake may be a challenge . I think the only way would be for someone with the stand and the lowering to try it, mail the left side to try on the right or contact Speedy.
quexpress likes this.
onewizard is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I looked at my bike, Speedy peg lowering has a large nylock nut that would interfere , also looked at using the right mount on the left side and vise versa . Having the pegs mounted on the forward facing side of MotoWerk lowering, the nut would be forward, everything else the same, however the foot brake may be a challenge . I think the only way would be for someone with the stand and the lowering to try it, mail the left side to try on the right or contact Speedy.
Thanks for the idea.

I have the SW-Motech stand and should be tinkering with it next week.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys Riding View Post
Just looked at mine and snapped a quick few shots. I hope they help. But that "U" shaped mount under the foot peg is part of the mount for the center stand and my finger shows how close it is to the stock foot peg and as far as the spring, that sticks pretty far out so it would seem that any lowered foot peg would have to mounted far off the bike and not really work out. But again, hope the pictures help you.
Thanks for the pics! Much appreciated!


I may need to move that spring pin a bit. I'll only know when I tinker with the stand the next week.
Fastoman likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Cool Footpeg Mods that I will Most Probably do

Hi,


After having temporarily installed the right side center stand bracket, I concluded that this is what I need to do to my lowered foot-pegs.


1. A small piece of the center stand bracket needs to be cutout to enable the foot-peg block to fall into place. A piece of steel will most probably need to be welded to the back of the stand bracket ... although this bracket is 1/4-inch thick. The center stand spring is HUGE!





2. A small portion of the foot-peg block will need to be removed to permit installing the foot-peg in the middle of the block instead of from the side.





Any insight would be appreciated.


Thank you

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Hi,


After having temporarily installed the right side center stand bracket, I concluded that this is what I need to do to my lowered foot-pegs.


1. A small piece of the center stand bracket needs to be cutout to enable the foot-peg block to fall into place. A piece of steel will most probably need to be welded to the back of the stand bracket ... although this bracket is 1/4-inch thick. The center stand spring is HUGE!





2. A small portion of the foot-peg block will need to be removed to permit installing the foot-peg in the middle of the block instead of from the side.





Any insight would be appreciated.


Thank you
I gather you tried my suggestion of reversing Speed's mounts. Presently my pegs are rear most of the lowering mount, by reversing the left for the right, you would then be mounted on the forward facing side. When I first came across the mounts I questioned the gap of the footpeg, not anymore.
onewizard is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I gather you tried my suggestion of reversing Speed's mounts. Presently my pegs are rear most of the lowering mount, by reversing the left for the right, you would then be mounted on the forward facing side. When I first came across the mounts I questioned the gap of the footpeg, not anymore.
I looked at it but prefer to keep them in the middle of the block rather than in the front.
Thanks!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Cool Right and left lowering blocks reversed

I'm sitting on the fence with this mod and will therefore give myself a few days before doing one of these modifications.


This is the results of mounting the left lowering block on the right side (with the right side foot-peg):





If I do the above, the brake pedal arm would need to be extended because the pedal would be TOO CLOSE to the foot-peg.


With the left lowering peg on the right side, less material would need to be removed from the center stand bracket than in the previously mentioned mod:





With the right lowering block on the left side, the shifter arm would need to be extended. It would then be WAY too close to the foot-peg:





As often mentioned in American Choppers: Any more "idears"?


Much appreciated!


Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Scratch my 1st idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I'm sitting on the fence with this mod and will therefore give myself a few days before doing one of these modifications.


This is the results of mounting the left lowering block on the right side (with the right side foot-peg):


If I do the above, the brake pedal arm would need to be extended because the pedal would be TOO CLOSE to the foot-peg.

With the left lowering peg on the right side, less material would need to be removed from the center stand bracket than in the previously mentioned mod:

With the right lowering block on the left side, the shifter arm would need to be extended. It would then be WAY too close to the foot-peg:

As often mentioned in American Choppers: Any more "idears"?


Much appreciated!


Thanks!
Next suggestion is getting different lowering mounts. I would suggest contacting Speedy. Instead of dropping down, offset out and down. This may be worthwhile to Speedy if enough people bought the stand.

Had another look, only one photo that appears the 1/4 inch plate is the interference , not the piece with the spring attached.So if the lowering peg mount extended out another 3/8 of a inch then dropped down would work ? I would think you could make something out of wood as a template , only need the right side changed, with the same drop as the original. Then have it duplicated in aluminum.
In fact I would attempt it in aluminum, using a block of aircraft aluminum, duplicate the mounting for the peg, but delay drilling the hole for the upper mounting, leaving the block say 1/2 inch offset to start with, you can always make it less, much harder to make it more. I have done this on a metal bandsaw, I know it will be crude to start with, but using a saber saw doesn't usually give a square cut. After that it is a machine shop and milling machine or cnc machine.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Red face Your idea gave me another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Next suggestion is getting different lowering mounts. I would suggest contacting Speedy. Instead of dropping down, offset out and down. This may be worthwhile to Speedy if enough people bought the stand.

Had another look, only one photo that appears the 1/4 inch plate is the interference , not the piece with the spring attached.So if the lowering peg mount extended out another 3/8 of a inch then dropped down would work ? I would think you could make something out of wood as a template , only need the right side changed, with the same drop as the original. Then have it duplicated in aluminum.
In fact I would attempt it in aluminum, using a block of aircraft aluminum, duplicate the mounting for the peg, but delay drilling the hole for the upper mounting, leaving the block say 1/2 inch offset to start with, you can always make it less, much harder to make it more. I have done this on a metal bandsaw, I know it will be crude to start with, but using a saber saw doesn't usually give a square cut. After that it is a machine shop and milling machine or cnc machine.

Experience has taught me a long time ago to take a step back when hitting a snag with mods, etc. and to pay attention to fellow rider's ideas. Your idea of making a modified lowering block for the right side foot-peg reminded me of an important detail which I was forgetting.


1. I'm using SW-Motech Ion Dual Position Foot-pegs which are already lowered by 15 mm when compared to the OEM ones.





This foot-peg easily clears the center stand bracket.





These SW-Motech foot-pegs are fastened to their foot-peg blocks with one small bolt.





Unless I change my mind again (which is always very possible), I tend to think that I will take a piece of 1/4-inch steel strapping and fabricate 2 short lowering straps. Each strap will have 2 holes that are distanced at 1 1/8 inch center to center.

That 1/4-inch strap could then be placed between the foot-peg and the foot-peg block.






In my case, I believe that this could be the simplest solution.


Thank you!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

2. A small portion of the foot-peg block will need to be removed to permit installing the foot-peg in the middle of the block instead of from the side.


It looks to me as, by removing some aluminum from that "lowering-block", you MIGHT 'fatally' weaken it.


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It looks to me as, by removing some aluminum from that "lowering-block", you MIGHT 'fatally' weaken it.

Good point!
As mentioned in my previous post, I'm going in a different route. I will not use the Moto Werk lowering blocks.
Thank you!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Creative Mind !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Good point!
As mentioned in my previous post, I'm going in a different route. I will not use the Moto Werk lowering blocks.
Thank you!
Anyone else I may not have bothered to give more thought, however from many of your previous creative ideas, I thought it worth my while to try throwing something else out there. For over 35 years of working on inverters, whenever I got frustrated I would call tech support in the States, 95% of the time, I solved the problem myself after calling, simply because like you said, I took a step back.

quexpress likes this.
onewizard is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
Red face Mockup










I'm quite comfortable with this quick mockup. The lowered right foot-peg now clears the center stand spring pin, etc.


I'll start shopping for 1/4-inch steel in order to make the final foot-peg lowering brackets.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Drill & Tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post









I'm quite comfortable with this quick mockup. The lowered right foot-peg now clears the center stand spring pin, etc.


I'll start shopping for 1/4-inch steel in order to make the final foot-peg lowering brackets.
That bolt head shown, on the final model I would drill and tap, drop 1 size, go with a grade 8 or better bolt that has the same OD as the ID of the threaded portion you have attached to.
onewizard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome