Chain oiler - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Chain oiler

I want to put an oiler on my versys. I commute rain or shine, and my work is down a half mile gravel and dusty road. I just replaced the chain and sprockets and I’d like them to last awhile. I’ve looked at the scottoiler, pro oiler, chameleon, tutoro and Nemo 2. I like the simplicity of the tutoro and Nemo 2. But the scottoiler gets lots of good reviews too. Anyone have any experience and/or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:52 PM

This was a big topic and mod on the CTX forum. The Tutoro seemed to be the go-to that most of the CTX riders used.

Rebel, on this forum, put his own together for less than $20! I copied his design and it works well, although I don't have it on my Versys but did have it on my CTX.

Basically, you can get some fuel line-type tubing from an auto store or Home Depot, zip ties, a bulb (I bought a 4-pack for $3 on eBay) and a small plastic bottle from Walmart in the travel-size section (You'll have to add another hole in the top for a breather tube). I found a small airbrush bottle at Hobby Lobby in the paint/model section for $5 and it already has two holes. You'll have to fabricate something to hold the bulb. I used a little square piece of metal, drilled a few holes and mounted it behind my rear peg. A simple press will get the oil on the chain.

Hopefully you get the idea but you can YouTube DIY oilers and get a better understanding.

***Personally, I almost prefer to clean and lube. Sure, it's a PITA but it allows/forces me to check out the tires for any nails, leaks, etc since it's up on the center stand and my eyes are down there anyway!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
This was a big topic and mod on the CTX forum. The Tutoro seemed to be the go-to that most of the CTX riders used.

Rebel, on this forum, put his own together for less than $20! I copied his design and it works well, although I don't have it on my Versys but did have it on my CTX.

Basically, you can get some fuel line-type tubing from an auto store or Home Depot, zip ties, a bulb (I bought a 4-pack for $3 on eBay) and a small plastic bottle from Walmart in the travel-size section (You'll have to add another hole in the top for a breather tube). I found a small airbrush bottle at Hobby Lobby in the paint/model section for $5 and it already has two holes. You'll have to fabricate something to hold the bulb. I used a little square piece of metal, drilled a few holes and mounted it behind my rear peg. A simple press will get the oil on the chain.

Hopefully you get the idea but you can YouTube DIY oilers and get a better understanding.

***Personally, I almost prefer to clean and lube. Sure, it's a PITA but it allows/forces me to check out the tires for any nails, leaks, etc since it's up on the center stand and my eyes are down there anyway!
Thanks, I'll research some DIY oilers. If I had a center stand, I wouldn't mind so much. But my chain looks pretty nasty almost every day, and its a hassle to pull out the paddock stand every night when I get home and clean and lube.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
Thanks, I'll research some DIY oilers. If I had a center stand, I wouldn't mind so much. But my chain looks pretty nasty almost every day, and its a hassle to pull out the paddock stand every night when I get home and clean and lube.
When I was commuting 25,000 miles a year I used a scottoiler. The downside is the flow rate changes with temps and it makes a mess a bit with fling. The chain lasted about 5000 miles longer with it vs just lubing it every 500 miles.

With the Versys and my other chain drive bike I just lube the chain every 1000 or early in really wet conditions. Certainly not every day. All you need to do is keep the o/x rings from drying out.

I use the EK SRX2 chains as they’re @60 dollars and have the ultra convienient screw rivet links available so swapping a chain is super fast. Just cut the worn one off or grind and press out a link to remove it. I’ve used JT or Sunstar sprockets with good results. It’s not worth the extra effort to meticulously maintain a chain imo. Just replace it when it wears out. Even if you barely lube it should last a good long while as the links are sealed.

I just use chain wax every 1k now and don’t stress about trying to get a few extra k out of the chain.

Snapjacks are great on long trips as well vs centerstand, I personally don’t like centerstands, the springs get weak holding them up at bad times and they touch down to early.
Devilsfan likes this.

Last edited by Lee R; 09-01-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
...It’s not worth the extra effort to meticulously maintain a chain imo. Just replace it when it wears out. Even if you barely lube it should last a good long while as the links are sealed....
I have to disagree. I spray my chain w/ WD40 pretty often, and have had VERY long chain life. When I get ready to spray it (on a paddock stand at home, a cut-down crutch on the road), it does NOT turn as easily BEFORE spraying as it does AFTER, so that means it requires FEWER horsepower to turn when it's oiled than it did BEFORE.

I get VERY good gas-mileage on both my present V650s, usually around 75 mpgImperial (60 mpgUS).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have to disagree. I spray my chain w/ WD40 pretty often, and have had VERY long chain life. When I get ready to spray it (on a paddock stand at home, a cut-down crutch on the road), it does NOT turn as easily BEFORE spraying as it does AFTER, so that means it requires FEWER horsepower to turn when it's oiled than it did BEFORE.

I get VERY good gas-mileage on both my present V650s, usually around 75 mpgImperial (60 mpgUS).

You have had some exceptional life out of chains. I never got more than 25k even when using the scottoiler. I'm not claiming lack of chain maintenance doesn't make any difference, I just hate dealing with it frequently and would rather lose some chain life. With the EK screw rivet links swapping them out is really fast and frustration free as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode