• 3 Post By civit
  • 3 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Rider dies when shirt gets caught in rear brake

Just sharing as a word of caution to others. This is from our local paper.

Motorcyclist dies when shirt catches in rear brake, causing crash | Duluth News Tribune

CALDONIA, Minn. -- A motorcyclist was killed near Caldonia in southeastern Minnesota last week when the manís shirt became entangled in the braking mechanism, throwing him to his death.

According to the Minnesota State Patrol, John Lars Huston, 66, of Wells, Minn., was southbound on Minnesota 76 shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday when the crash happened in Houston County.

The State Patrol says Hustonís shirt caught in the rear brake on the right side of the motorcycle, which caused the brake to lock up.

Huston died of his injuries at the La Crosse, Wis., hospital.
Shibumik likes this.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-28-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Weird. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to work pretty hard for my shirt to catch on anything below the level of the seat...
Kyle E and coolcat like this.

'09 Versys
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Wouldn't something that long be considered a dress.......
twowheeladdict and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
Weird. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to work pretty hard for my shirt to catch on anything below the level of the seat...
I remember a post here (years ago) w/ a link to a video of a guy on a cruiser when his chaps got caught in the chain/belt drive. It was NOT pretty!
Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:47 PM

He must have been wearing around the waste with the sleeves hanging down or something odd.
twowheeladdict and Kyle E like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 AM

Not knowing anymore than I've read concerning the OP, I feel bad for the rider. Seems like it could have been avoided. I continue to be amazed by people who can ride without gear and clothing flapping. Aside from what I hope will be protection if something goes bad, I appreciate the wind, sun and bug protection my gear affords. My old parchment skin could not handle the wind and sun on my arms, neck, etc. And when one can feel a bug splat through a riding jacket, I'm glad I didn't have a piece of thin cotton between me and the bug. Maybe that's not real freedom though. I dunno.
Ziggy and Shibumik like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM

Garage
I always ride with the proper gear. You never know what lies ahead. I was once asked by a women friend if I was uncomfortable wearing all that gear in the heat of summer. My response was " I would rather sweat then bleed."

Civit
quexpress, GDP RIDER and Shibumik like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civit View Post
I always ride with the proper gear. You never know what lies ahead. I was once asked by a women friend if I was uncomfortable wearing all that gear in the heat of summer. My response was " I would rather sweat then bleed."

Civit
I've slid down the road in a one peice suit, made up for all the sweaty days and extra time to put it on. Not a scratch. It happened riding very mellow on a rainy day crossing a wooden bridge that had green algae on it (ridden over it many times before with no ill effect until that day). So riding mellow won't exactly save you if you wear less gear. Deer are the ultimate wild card (or other animals) that could send you body surfing down the pavement at any time, unless your Australian, they seem to know how to run wildlife over. (NSFW, one swear at the very beginning)

That said the gear these days makes it super easy to wear at least some protection. I ride with kevlar pants a lot now in the summer, that and a mesh jacket with the rest provides at least some protection while being very comfortable. I don't get the T-shirt crowd. I guess they figure they'll never crash.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's really strange is that Googling Caledonia Michigan motorcycle accident reveals a bundle of motorcycle accident reports. It must be ground zero in the state, if not the nation, for motorcycle accidents! Something in the air?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
What's really strange is that Googling Caledonia Michigan motorcycle accident reveals a bundle of motorcycle accident reports. It must be ground zero in the state, if not the nation, for motorcycle accidents! Something in the air?
That is weird, the bermuda triangle for bikes?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
People take a lot for granted and don't think through their decisions. Over the years I have read many reports of people having items they strapped on the bike get into the rear wheel, laces get caught on the peg when they go to put their foot down, etc.

This guy somehow didn't go down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 408178813_zps37c0ec16.JPG (55.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 408178814_zpsace0fef6.JPG (42.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 408178815_zps4584f076.JPG (43.3 KB, 47 views)

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I've slid down the road in a one peice suit, made up for all the sweaty days and extra time to put it on. Not a scratch. It happened riding very mellow on a rainy day crossing a wooden bridge that had green algae on it (ridden over it many times before with no ill effect until that day). So riding mellow won't exactly save you if you wear less gear. Deer are the ultimate wild card (or other animals) that could send you body surfing down the pavement at any time, unless your Australian, they seem to know how to run wildlife over. (NSFW, one swear at the very beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im0QdMauLw8

That said the gear these days makes it super easy to wear at least some protection. I ride with kevlar pants a lot now in the summer, that and a mesh jacket with the rest provides at least some protection while being very comfortable. I don't get the T-shirt crowd. I guess they figure they'll never crash.

The wet ground helped lower the friction. A friend went down in the rain years ago before we decided that we should be wearing gear and didn't even wear a hole in his jeans even though he slid for a while.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
Years ago, I caught a bell-bottom in a chain.
Didn't go down tho.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The wet ground helped lower the friction. A friend went down in the rain years ago before we decided that we should be wearing gear and didn't even wear a hole in his jeans even though he slid for a while.

Definitely helped. Big difference between Utah pavement and New York pavement as well. I feel like you need chainmail in Utah.

The suits padding helped more than anything and the SIDI boots I was wearing had a ton of ankle protection, the one bruise I had was low on my calf where the foot peg landed on my ankle and I was protected by the robust boot.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:17 PM

About 40 years ago, a strap from my wife's new leather purse got loose and got tangled in the rear wheel. The purse got pulled into the wheel and was destroyed. Didn't go down, but I felt the bike slow quickly as the leather purse was going up in smoke. Had to pull the wheel off to clear the mess.

The wife cried about losing her purse ;(
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:00 AM

Garage
When I was young and foolish, I entered a highway ramp with too much speed. A patch of diesel fuel, too late to avoid and down I went on my right side. The wallet in my back pocket literally saved my arse.

The pavement quickly ripped through the pocket and through one half of my wallet, as I spun around on it. Ground right through half of a tenner. The $10 it cost to save my arse was well worth it. I wear kevlar-lined jeans in summer now, leather pants in colder weather. I keep my wallet in the front pocket now- carrying in the back pocket makes my leg go numb.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This shirt in the back wheel thread, though not funny, does remind me of funny story.

On a summer job back in the late 60's working at a farm implement manufacturing shop. We had an old guy who had a substantial beer belly and as a result his shirt tail would hang in space whenever he bent over. One day O'l Charlie was grinding welds using an angle grinder when his shirt tail got grabbed by the grinding wheel. Suddenly we all heart a blood curdling scream and look over to see the grinder spinning around up and down on Charlie.

One of the guys was near the plug and promptly pulled it and all the action quickly came to a halt... but the damage had been done. Needless to say O'l Charlie needed a trip to the hospital for repairs and then took off the rest of the week.

The following Monday one of the guys, who had been on vacation, returned to work. He took a look at now bandaged up Charlie and asked, "Hey Charlie what the hell happened to you buddy?" Charlie just mumbled something about "Grinder." The guy who asked now said, "Who is this grinder guy? Must be one tuff Hombre."
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Probably had it tied around his waist on a hot day. Hopefully this will remind us all to be careful about letting stuff dangle. Too bad someone had to die to remind us of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode