Bridgestone S21 vs Metzeler M7RR - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Bridgestone S21 vs Metzeler M7RR

I purchased my 2015 V-650 about one year ago and have put 12,000 miles on it since then. The previous owner had a set of Dunlop Q3ís on it when I bought it. They were pretty worn, but I managed to get another 1000 miles out of them. They were decent but not my favorite.

After reading glowing reviews about the Metzeler M7RR, I decided to try a pair. All I can say is wow what a great tire. Super grippy, smooth soft ride, not an evil bone in them. A very comfortable, soothing sort of feeling. Kinda like putting on your favorite pair of house slippers.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. Reading about the latest Bridgestone S21 tires then seeing a pair advertised at a great price, plus a $50 rebate I decided to try a pair. Stuck them in my closed til my M7ís finished their duty.

Installed them yesterday, scrubbed them in this morning and did a 60 mile ride. I always find it interesting how tires can really change the character and feel of a bike.

Here is the score card so far;

The first thing I noticed was that the S21 tended to fall into the turn. More noticeable at slower speeds. The M7 has a very linear turn in at any speed, giving it a very different feel. The different profile on each tire would account for this.

The S21 is a heavier tire with stiffer side walls resulting in a slightly stiffer, bumpier ride. Not a big difference but noticeable. This also made the S21 more difficult to mount on the rim and inflate. I also noticed the heavier weight effected how my suspension worked (more un-sprung weigh). Handling was spot on with the M7ís, so may have to adjust the clickers to compensate for the S21ís extra mass.

The S21 is a bit slower in fast translations, not changing direction as quickly and effortlessly as the M7. The S21 boasts of longer tread life. This could be due to deeper tread depth. M7 new rear tire was 4mm, with 3mm on the front. S21 rear is 5mm and front is 4mm. The extra mm is probably a factor in better tread life.

At the end of the 60 miles I decided I actually like the S-21. Itís different but in a good way. I will update this when I get a couple thousand miles on them.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:29 AM

I think all of the tires you mentioned are more sport bikes oriented.

I don't defy the limits on my Versys (I reach mine quicker ) and I ride a lot in bad weather, and sport tires and rain don't mix well. For this reason I would never fit this tires on a Versys.

You can get 90% of the sport tire grig in a good sport touring tire, with a lot more wet Grip, that for me is essencial. PR5, Metzeler roadtec 01 and ContiRoad Attack are good examples, with also a lot more thead life.

Enviado do meu G3221 atravťs do Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
I think all of the tires you mentioned are more sport bikes oriented.
You are correct. I don't go off road, so I ride my V more like a sport bike than a light weight adventure bike. That 18 year old racer is still residing inside this 65 year old carcus.

I am on the look for components that cause the bike to become an extension of the soul. Think and it happens, rather than first think about what to do then mechanically make inputs in hopes that the bike will respond. Tires and suspension are the usual areas that help make this happen.

Cheers.
Buffalo_Bob and kiwicraig like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I purchased my 2015 V-650 about one year ago and have put 12,000 miles on it since then. The previous owner had a set of Dunlop Q3ís on it when I bought it. They were pretty worn, but I managed to get another 1000 miles out of them. They were decent but not my favorite.

After reading glowing reviews about the Metzeler M7RR, I decided to try a pair. All I can say is wow what a great tire. Super grippy, smooth soft ride, not an evil bone in them. A very comfortable, soothing sort of feeling. Kinda like putting on your favorite pair of house slippers.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. Reading about the latest Bridgestone S21 tires then seeing a pair advertised at a great price, plus a $50 rebate I decided to try a pair. Stuck them in my closed til my M7ís finished their duty.

Installed them yesterday, scrubbed them in this morning and did a 60 mile ride. I always find it interesting how tires can really change the character and feel of a bike.

Here is the score card so far;

The first thing I noticed was that the S21 tended to fall into the turn. More noticeable at slower speeds. The M7 has a very linear turn in at any speed, giving it a very different feel. The different profile on each tire would account for this.

The S21 is a heavier tire with stiffer side walls resulting in a slightly stiffer, bumpier ride. Not a big difference but noticeable. This also made the S21 more difficult to mount on the rim and inflate. I also noticed the heavier weight effected how my suspension worked (more un-sprung weigh). Handling was spot on with the M7ís, so may have to adjust the clickers to compensate for the S21ís extra mass.

The S21 is a bit slower in fast translations, not changing direction as quickly and effortlessly as the M7. The S21 boasts of longer tread life. This could be due to deeper tread depth. M7 new rear tire was 4mm, with 3mm on the front. S21 rear is 5mm and front is 4mm. The extra mm is probably a factor in better tread life.

At the end of the 60 miles I decided I actually like the S-21. Itís different but in a good way. I will update this when I get a couple thousand miles on them.
What mileage did you get out of your M7?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
What mileage did you get out of your M7?
6000 plus on the front and 3500 on the rear.

No track days but I tend to ride fairly hard and fast.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Wow, you might be the only person I know that runs track day tires on a Versys. Most people I know who run track day tires rave about the Q3s and its successors.

I've honestly never felt the need for anything that sticky. I have the Road 5s on mine (and I also basically ride it like a comfy sportbike) and love em.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Update time.

Did 200 miles on some great roads yesterday. Must say I like these S21's.

I previously mentioned the stiffer side walls of the S21. This translates to better feed back and no squirm when you began to push it in the corners.

These tires really feel like you are on rails in the faster corners. Plus they don't follow lines and grooves where as the Metzelers tended to do this somewhat.

Other than a stiffer ride the only caveat is I am having a hard time getting them to balance properly. Still trying to figure this one out.

Will have to wait to report on tire wear and longevity.

Stay tuned.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
6000 plus on the front and 3500 on the rear.

No track days but I tend to ride fairly hard and fast.
Thanks, I ride the same way. I also have a no-mar tire changer so not an issue with tread life so much.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Wow, you might be the only person I know that runs track day tires on a Versys. Most people I know who run track day tires rave about the Q3s and its successors.

I've honestly never felt the need for anything that sticky. I have the Road 5s on mine (and I also basically ride it like a comfy sportbike) and love em.
I don't think the PR's (I've run the PR4, Angel GT recently, like the Angel the most btw) have the steep profile that just drops you into a heavy lean angle or the amount of road feel through the tires carcass like the sport dedicated rubber does just yet. They seem to be converging though as the Sport tires are gaining wet weather/cold grip and tire longevity and the ST rubber is getting more aggressive profiles and more road feel. They're less far apart then they used to be.

ST tires have plenty of dry/wet grip for the most part these days, the cheap ones still smear/slide though when your riding aggressively.

I think it's odd they keep going after wet grip, the PR4 was PLENTY. Who rides like a banshee in the rain anyway? You may have the wet grip but can't see oil or other stuff masked by the water. The braking distance is a bonus for sure. I guess if we can have it all why not!
hawkerjet likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, I ride the same way. I also have a no-mar tire changer so not an issue with tread life so much.
No Mar is a good one.

I went with the Mojo Lee-Vah, as the Aussies call it...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... the only caveat is I am having a hard time getting them to balance properly. Still trying to figure this one out....
Have you thought about using "Dyna-Beads" for balancing?

I've used them for OVER 100,000 miles, and they're GREAT!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

-
I've used them before but didn't like the wear inside the tire. Also the clip on weights (or stick on) and a manual balancer really only takes a couple minutes. I found the dyna beads took longer to deal with.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

-
I have heard about them but never used them. Never had a problem balancing tires on my Tusk wheel truing stand, using stick on weights.

How big a mess do they make on your floor when you dismount the old tire?

Cookin Wid Gas

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have heard about them but never used them. Never had a problem balancing tires on my Tusk wheel truing stand, using stick on weights.

How big a mess do they make on your floor when you dismount the old tire?
I never had a problem when I used stick-on-weights, but it's WAY-Y-Y easier now, and as the tire 'wears' they STAY balanced! I DO spend a few minutes sweeping the floor when I remove a tire, but I use a spoon to re-capture MOST of the beads [and re-use them in the new tire], and I've NEVER noticed any 'wear' on the inside of my tires (I also used them in tubes when I had my KLR before I converted its wheels to tubeless).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think the PR's (I've run the PR4, Angel GT recently, like the Angel the most btw) have the steep profile that just drops you into a heavy lean angle or the amount of road feel through the tires carcass like the sport dedicated rubber does just yet. They seem to be converging though as the Sport tires are gaining wet weather/cold grip and tire longevity and the ST rubber is getting more aggressive profiles and more road feel. They're less far apart then they used to be.

ST tires have plenty of dry/wet grip for the most part these days, the cheap ones still smear/slide though when your riding aggressively.

I think it's odd they keep going after wet grip, the PR4 was PLENTY. Who rides like a banshee in the rain anyway? You may have the wet grip but can't see oil or other stuff masked by the water. The braking distance is a bonus for sure. I guess if we can have it all why not!
The Road 5 has a steeper profile than the PR4 and drops in like a sport tire, also less wiggly when leaned over.

I went from PR4 to Road 5 and the difference is noticable, the 5 feels much more like a sport tire, while having better wet road grip up to 35 degrees of lean (they stopped running the sipes to the edge, and frankly who is going to lean 35 degrees in the wet anyway).
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Road 5 has a steeper profile than the PR4 and drops in like a sport tire, also less wiggly when leaned over.

I went from PR4 to Road 5 and the difference is noticable, the 5 feels much more like a sport tire, while having better wet road grip up to 35 degrees of lean (they stopped running the sipes to the edge, and frankly who is going to lean 35 degrees in the wet anyway).
Used to run the PR series on a number of bikes. Great tires but expensive. I was gainfully employed back then.

Relying mostly on Social Security now, I have to opt for the lower priced spread.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I ran the PR4 on my Stelvio for a set, they were excellent tires. My only gripe with them now is the price, they're more expensive than the other big names and they've all caught up or passed the Pilot Road series in performance. You basically can't lose picking any of them.

The Pilot Road 4/5 came in mid pack in the tests the last couple years. The Roadsmart 3 and Angel GT were tied for first this year. I think Michelin is just charging too much based on pack leading performance when the 1/2/3 were out.

Quote:
Used to run the PR series on a number of bikes. Great tires but expensive. I was gainfully employed back then.

Relying mostly on Social Security now, I have to opt for the lower priced spread.
Same reason I have for not using them, just too expensive imo.

I actually went with the Avon Spirit ST for this set of tires. 228 shipped. I'll let you guys know how they work. Puncture warranty for the first 50% tread life as well which is a neat perk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode