Is the V650 radiator interchangable with the Ninja 650? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Is the V650 radiator interchangable with the Ninja 650?

So looks like the radiator on my V650 got pinholed by a rock today Thankfully was able to get it home without running dry and overheating.

So in the process of looking at replacements, looks like Ninja 650 radiators are MUCH chepaer on ebay than a Versys radiator. Are they interchangable, they look pretty much identical in pictures?

The Ninja 650 also has lots of snazzy aftermarket radiators available due to its popularity as a track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
So looks like the radiator on my V650 got pinholed by a rock today Thankfully was able to get it home without running dry and overheating.

So in the process of looking at replacements, looks like Ninja 650 radiators are MUCH chepaer on ebay than a Versys radiator. Are they interchangable, they look pretty much identical in pictures?

The Ninja 650 also has lots of snazzy aftermarket radiators available due to its popularity as a track bike.

2009+ Ninja 650R and ER6 have the same radiator as on the Versys. Previous models up to 2008 have a smaller radiator.
mrvwbug likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 PM

Garage
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...iator&_sacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I see lots of "made in china" radiators, not a lot of even used OEM ones. Will check with the dealer tomorrow to see how expensive the OEM radiator is.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
I see lots of "made in china" radiators, not a lot of even used OEM ones. Will check with the dealer tomorrow to see how expensive the OEM radiator is.
Over $500.00 I believe....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So looks like the radiator on my V650 got pinholed by a rock today Thankfully was able to get it home without running dry and overheating....
Get it fixed at a rad-repair shop.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Get it fixed at a rad-repair shop.
Will have to check that out. If the repair is pretty cheap I will go that route. Aftermarket radiators are 90 bucks. OEM is 600
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Turns out that the radiator repair shop is more expensive than an aftermarket radiator. The only one in the area starts at $98 for repair of motorcycle radiators.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Radiator guard is a good investment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights.jpg (64.2 KB, 20 views)
Gangles likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Radiator guard is a good investment...
Yes, will be getting one with the new radiator.

Also traced the source of the leak today, a rock hit almost dead center in the radiator.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

So, yeah, radiator guards for 1st and 2nd gen bikes appear to be non-existent. Do the 3rd gen guards fit?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
So, yeah, radiator guards for 1st and 2nd gen bikes appear to be non-existent. Do the 3rd gen guards fit?

Heres where i got mine for my 09...It was extremely sturdy... Took about 10 days to get......https://beowulfuk.com/product-catego...ys-06-onwards/

IMG_1496 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Ouch that costs almost as much as the Evotech one, especially figuring shipping from the UK.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ouch that costs almost as much as the Evotech one, especially figuring shipping from the UK.

Cheaper Than A Radiator.........

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM

i can tell you that the radiator FAN is compatible, as i have a used one on my versys i bought off eBay.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Cheaper Than A Radiator.........
Not really. My replacement radiator was 94 bucks. An Evotech guard is more than that.

I'll run by the Kawi dealer tomorrow and do an comparison. They do have a 2016 V650 sitting in their used bike section right now (new V650s sell in a day or two from this dealer).
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:37 PM

get a canabalized radiator off an old 650 ninja on eBay. they should be readily available and relatively cheap. if the radiator fan still works, you won't need that. as far as a radiator guard, you can make your own with a basement vent screen, paint it black or silver with heat resistant paint, and attach. mine cost approx $10 and looks pretty good. but you also should get a fenda extenda to help keep your front tire from kicking rocks into the radiator area. not only can they cause leaks but a rock can also seize your radiator fan. don't ask me how i know.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

So I had a look at a 2016 V650 radiator today, not even close to the setup that is on my 2009. The 2015+ guards absolutely won't fit. So I'm basically either going to do without, or have to make one with screen and zip ties. I already purchased an aftermarket Ninja 650 radiator that should arrive in a few days.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...8AAOSwfEVauK9u

This one looks to be able to fit all 3 gens, it has a cutaway on the bottom for the lower mount on the 1st and 2nd gen bikes, but it also looks like it would block a lot of airflow.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Ended up buying this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123275254887

Looks decent and can confirm it fits by the pictures (even though they mounted it upside down haha).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode