• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 5 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

our 'kids' riding...!

I've been thinking of starting a thread about introducing 'kids' to riding motorcycles for quite awhile.

During the last few weeks I began 'scanning' some of my 35mm negs/ slides into digital files, and as pics of my two boys kept coming up, the thought reoccurred, so THIS thread marks the result.

Back in '78 I was racing enduros, and one of my friends, Tino, who had bought his boy a Suzuki JR50 to learn on, was now upgrading the bike - "Was I interested it buying that JR50 for my son Danny (then 2 1/2 years old!)?" I said "Hell YES!", so he and I made a "sidecar" out of steel tubing for it, then got busy teaching Danny to ride it. [I have a Super8 movie of him riding it around my house (REMEMBER - he was 2 1/2!)] We would ride it over at Tino's house (BIG yard), me ON the sidecar IN CASE Danny needed a little 'tweak' on the 'bars to help him out, until he was pointed at their backyard doghouse and I 'tweaked' the bars - INSTANTLY finding myself flying thru the air as the JR LIFTED the sidecar wheel and 'sling-shot' me.... (We were BOTH ATGATT!)

I landed on my back ahead of the bike, my son running to me - "You OK Daddy?" I removed that d***ed sidecar as soon as we got home!

Shortly after that 'incident' I bought a farm in E Ontario, so Danny wanted to try his bike out in the yard, now that he was 4 1/2 years old.

Unfortunately I guess I had forgotten to mention 'turning'.... He was headed for that fence visible behind him and ALL we could do was watch, hoping for the best....

He hit the fence, breaking the bottom board, and I ran over to see if he was OK. He WAS, but looked SO FUNNY that I started to laugh which REALLY offended him - he would NOT ride for about a week! You can see the broken board in this pic of my other son Joey sitting on my Can-Am Qualifier 400.

Eventually Danny would ride again

and I guess one of his high-points was when I trailered his JR50 and my Can-Am to a riding area in W Quebec w/ MILES AND MILES of trails, and he couldn't believe that you could JUST RIDE for hours, after riding the 5 acres around our farm-house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danny1.jpg (324.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Can-Am6.jpg (424.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Danny4.jpg (455.4 KB, 5 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:28 PM

Great thread, FastEddie! Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Danny was growing pretty well, so I looked around, then bought a Honda XR75 from Tino (AGAIN - his son had outgrown it!), which Danny took to pretty quickly, as well as some larger riding-gear.

He kept "growing-like-a-weed", so new(er) and bigger gear was required, the 'old' stuff kept for WHEN Joey might start riding....

Joey's problem? He couldn't ride a bicycle yet.

I'd push him up (and DOWN) the drive, let go, running beside him, and as soon as he thought I'd let go of him, he'd panic, then crash. FINALLY one day I told him that THIS would be the LAST time I'd EVER do that, so IF he couldn't ride it - "tough noogies" - and I didn't care.

I pushed for that FINAL time, let go and STOPPED - watching him ride the driveway, then he turned and rode back. TIME to try the JR50, so he 'suited-up'

and a few days later [w/ NEW(ER) riding gear] started showing us how it's DONE!

Check that he's ON the pegs, butt OFF the seat, doing a small jump..., and here he is, LANDING it.

I set-up the kids' bikes like I set-up mine, so check the rear tire (about 6 to 8psi), flattened as he touched down.

Eventually, as they grew, they EACH needed BIGGER bikes, so Danny graduated to a Honda XL100, Joey the XR75 (...and someone ELSE in our enduro club bought the JR50), so he needed to learn about shifting...

and was a LITTLE concerned w/ everything NOW required,

INCLUDING using the clutch to get going

but soon became "Mr Joe Cool" after we moved to Alberta....

Finally a pic taken in the Rockies w/ of Calgary, riding w/ Danny (who's holding MY helmet because it TOO was red - his white one on MY bike).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danny5.jpg (386.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Danny9.jpg (458.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey2.jpg (413.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg D&J1.jpg (477.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey5.jpg (515.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey8.jpg (414.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg D&J2.jpg (462.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey10.jpg (351.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Joey11.jpg (364.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey13.jpg (413.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Joey14.jpg (45.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg D&J3.jpg (390.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Danny11.jpg (51.4 KB, 4 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-28-2018 at 01:57 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Absolutely great stuff!! Couldn't get my daughter interested in riding. At least she would come along two up, and that was better than nothing.

My charming bride, on the other hand is a different story entirely. She won't ride unless it's on her own machine and in the past 13 years she's had a few - Kymco Super 9, Kymco Exciting 250, Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Yamaha Virago 535, Honda CTX700, and at present a Can Am Spyder RT Limited and a Suzuki TU250X. Not bad for a Social Security senior citizen!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

INMATES - add YOUR 'kids-riding' story and pics!

This thread is for ALL of you to enjoy, and to SHARE YOUR stories, even of your 'significant-other'!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
My youngest trying out my DRZ400S. A nice 10 acre field to practice in. Riding did not get into the bloodstream of either son.

The only photo I had labeled when I did a search.

I later bought a '93 Honda XR250L for both boys to ride around the property but it didn't get used much by them. I would loan it to friends to go for a dual sport ride with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mitch on Suzuki DRZ 400.JPG (128.4 KB, 19 views)
DaveC likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:40 PM

What an awesome thread fasteddie!

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-22-2018 at 03:58 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post

Wholehearted agreement here. It's a great thread, but then it's an Eddie thread, so it's no surprise to me.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-22-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Wholehearted agreement here. It's a great thread, but then it's an Eddie thread, so it's no surprise to me.
I'm REALLY glad that the thread IS having the effect I was hoping for!

-

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

River of Tears by Eric Clapton

Just finished listening to "River of Tears" by Eric Clapton, about losing his son.

Makes me think of my two sons (who are still living, thank God)....
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

some MORE "kid" pics...

These weren't included in the original post, but I thought it might be 'cool' to add them....

Funny story W/OUT pics: I was watching the two of them riding thru that field (showing Joey in pic 5), thru my camera w/ a telephoto lens on it when Danny went into a small depression on the field, and OUT, followed by Joey, going IN, and then OVER the handle-bars!

I dropped the camera and ran to see that he was OK..., which he was, but NO pic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danny2.jpg (41.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Danny3.jpg (476.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Danny6.jpg (429.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Danny8.jpg (330.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Joey1.jpg (451.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Joey3.jpg (43.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Joey5.jpg (515.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Joey6.jpg (51.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Joey7.jpg (433.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Joey9.jpg (436.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Joey12.jpg (388.9 KB, 7 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-30-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM

cool pictures and stories .I still have the pw50 and pw80 and thumpstar 125 sitting in my garage. I don't think my sons appreciated motorcycles as much as I did. They had 4 wheelers and go carts but
it seems girls and video games won out.lol I don't think either son has been on a motorcycle in 10 years.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

As a result of seeing a pic from another "inmate", in which the pic is B&W w/ a 'piece' of it is in color in it, I took some "instruction" on the technique yesterday, and did a few of the pics from this thread, so here they are:

LIKE? or DON'T LIKE?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&J3 copy.jpg (239.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Danny5 copy.jpg (228.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Danny11 copy.jpg (49.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Joey5 copy.jpg (278.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Joey6 copy.jpg (49.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Joey7 copy.jpg (238.3 KB, 1 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Fast Eddie is right! I've had the special opportunity to teach my Grandson to ride dirt bikes and we've become great buddies since.

Taught my Grandson how to ride his first dirt bike at 12 , a CRF80 out at Prairie City Bike Park outside of Sacramento.

Us old farts taught our Grandkids and nephews how to ride and do basic maintenance, especially broken clutch and brake levers!

Now my Grandson is 15 has grown about 2 feet and rides a CRF150R and can leave us old farts in the dust!

onewizard and NightRider like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Awesome thread of human love. Wishing you and your loved ones all the best Eddie.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Fast Eddie is right! I've had the special opportunity to teach my Grandson to ride dirt bikes and we've become great buddies since....
Bob - ya done GOOD...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
...Wishing you and your loved ones all the best Eddie.
Thanks.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode