• 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tips for parking in the dirt?

I'm very inexperienced on riding off road with a motorcycle. But I've been off roading in Jeeps for 20 years. So the skill is coming quickly as I know how to read the road and look for holes etc. Starting to get comfortable and seem to have the feel. Sure Ill crash 5 times tomorrow now that I said that.

However I just can't get comfortable parking and dismounting. I always feel like its going to tip right over as I dismount or mount. I pick my spots, make sure they are flat, try and find a rock to put the stand on. Or is it just the way it is? Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Some people carry something to put under the stand. Others may add something semi-permanent to the stand to make it bigger.

Personally, I intend to get a kickstand plate for about 15 bucks on ebay or something.
Kyle E likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just cool off with a cold one, flatten it and put the kickstand on it.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i use the cover plate for a junction box (about $0.47 at lowes) as a fat foot for the kick stand and never had an issue parking offroad
Kyle E likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM

Garage
Find a small piece of wood, a flat rock, or anything else you can find to put under the side stand to give it a bit larger footprint. If you plan on parking in those conditions often, I'd invest in a plate that attaches to the stand.
Kyle E likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've put a MotoWerk Flatfoot on both my Versys 650 & 1000. On my FJR i used this.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
twowheeladdict and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 AM

I'm a road warrior, but I've always carried some type of kickstand plate for all my bikes, just for the times I park in hot asphalt, grass, dirt or gravel. Most have had a string so you can deploy/retract the plate while sitting in the seat. On my Versys, I've also installed the kickstand foot from Motowerk. Not the cheapest option, but it works great. For me, it's mainly for added confidence while mounting/dismounting 'cuz I'm only 5'9" so I do the ol' "foot on left peg, swing other leg over" routine.
Kyle E likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Went out shooting again this morning. Think I figured out something to help.

Getting on and off on the non kickstand "high" side. That way no extra weight gets put on the unstable kickstand. Seemed to be much more mental "okay" for me when I got on the bike after shooting today.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM

I keep a chinese aftermarket voltage regulator for a KLR in my tank bag. When i park on hot asphalt or soft earth i drop it on the ground and put the kickstand on it. Works better than a beer can and it works a lot better for that than as a voltage regulator. Lol!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM

easiest is to attach a kickstand foot enlarger, then you don't have to worry so much about it. (but it still should be in the back of your mind.) otherwise, have a small piece of wood, plastic, or metal with you to put under the foot (attached to a string). some people look for an old tin can, or rock laying around where they park. i've never tipped over with my big foot from motowerks.
Kyle E likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
...However I just can't get comfortable parking and dismounting. I always feel like its going to tip right over as I dismount or mount. I pick my spots, make sure they are flat, try and find a rock to put the stand on. Or is it just the way it is? Any tips?
Here's a tip - ALWAYS ensure that there's NOT a 'low-spot' where your right foot will go, and NOT a HIGH spot where your sidestand is going.... [You should be able to figure out WHERE this story came from....]
Kyle E likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
WHERE this story came from....]
Are you following me with a video camera????

I actually did dump it my second time off road back in January. Went to put my right foot down and found a hole. Having 100 pounds of ammo and guns on the back didn't help any.

I should just take my truck to the range, but dang it I like my bike!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Oh forgot the picture of rock stand!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ma.jpg (117.7 KB, 24 views)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's a tip - ALWAYS ensure that there's NOT a 'low-spot' where your right foot will go, and NOT a HIGH spot where your sidestand is going.... [You should be able to figure out WHERE this story came from....]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Are you following me with a video camera????

I actually did dump it my second time off road back in January. Went to put my right foot down and found a hole. Having 100 pounds of ammo and guns on the back didn't help any....
Here's a pic of BIG RED having a 'nap' on the Moki Dugway, just N of Mexican Hat and Monument Valley, 24 Oct '12....

I began removing everything I could, and then a fellow in a pickup stopped to give me a hand to get it back UP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01658 copy.JPG (418.0 KB, 8 views)
Kyle E and tennistime99 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode