post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Great looking bike. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I see admin followed through fairly quickly You might want to start a new thread under 650 performance , with all your mods along with photos. I can copy any relevant posts in this thread to the new one.

Thanks I'll do that after a few more little modifications.

The problem with owning a Versys is if you want to replace it with noticeable improvement, you either need a Ninja 1000 or a Husqvarna 501.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Great Looking bike. Exactly what I had in mind.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Nice bike, I am planning to do a bit of light off roading with my V650. I have a KLR for the rough stuff.

Cheers,
Warren
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotoks Versys View Post
Nice bike, I am planning to do a bit of light off roading with my V650. I have a KLR for the rough stuff.

Cheers,
Warren
You'd be surprised how much more forgiving a the versys is than a klr in rough terrain. Without crashbars a KLR breaks its radiator nearly every time it falls left. The stock skid plate gets ripped off first rock you hit.

The outdated engine with no lean angle and preposterous height make a klr so damn top heavy that riding in technical terrain is asking for injury.

Compared to a the Versys whose center of gravity is very low, the seat height is also low enough for you to foot down in almost any situation- the KLR is way less friendly.

If they put a seat cut out on a KLR650, then put a versys 650 engine in it leaned all the way down like a versys instead of up and down like standard KLR, then there'd be an argument for it and it would be preferable off-road.

As for now I see the KLR as kinda like a Harley, cool looking and nostalgic with decades old technology stopping it from competing with modern bike performance.

The problem with owning a Versys is if you want to replace it with noticeable improvement, you either need a Ninja 1000 or a Husqvarna 501.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
nah. the klr properly set up is a decent bike off road within the limits of 400 pound motorcycles. I owned 3. yes, it needs radiator protection. I ran the stock skidplate for years (but we don't have rocky terrain for the most part). and the Versys off road is heavier, at least my '15 is. I do not take my Versys places I took my KLRs.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
...If they put a seat cut out on a KLR650, then put a versys 650 engine in it leaned all the way down like a versys instead of up and down like standard KLR, then there'd be an argument for it and it would be preferable off-road....
A few guys on ADVrider have made "KLRsys" hybrids - a KLR w/ Versys engine in it. Apparently adds ONLY 9 pounds weight, plus about 30 MORE horsepower....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
nah. the klr properly set up is a decent bike off road within the limits of 400 pound motorcycles. I owned 3. yes, it needs radiator protection. I ran the stock skidplate for years (but we don't have rocky terrain for the most part). and the Versys off road is heavier, at least my '15 is. I do not take my Versys places I took my KLRs.
Ever considered where you'd be willing to take your versys with offroad tires and a skid plate?

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM

Garage
David P, Thanks for all your posts and info on the conversion for the 650V. Been trying to decide what to do. IE: Trade my '12 with 2k mi for a WR250R for bout $4k but would still have farkles to buy or convert it. Biggest issue is I ride alone mostly and dont have the apparent help you do on a get off. At 75 yrs old it could be an issue😊 even though I'm bout your size (5' 11" 220lbs) but the 50 yrs difference is telling. Figure I'd spend close to $2k on first class conversion: tires/wheels, skid plate, engine guard, sprockets, fender w/brake fix, better hand guards and some soft bags, etc.
FYI, I'm wanting to make it ready to do sections of the TAT (Trans America Trail) before I leave this ball of dirt😁
Dave Sharpe

I'm on a whiskey diet, lost 3 days last week
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

X300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdsharpe View Post
David P, Thanks for all your posts and info on the conversion for the 650V. Been trying to decide what to do. IE: Trade my '12 with 2k mi for a WR250R for bout $4k but would still have farkles to buy or convert it. Biggest issue is I ride alone mostly and dont have the apparent help you do on a get off. At 75 yrs old it could be an issue😊 even though I'm bout your size (5' 11" 220lbs) but the 50 yrs difference is telling. Figure I'd spend close to $2k on first class conversion: tires/wheels, skid plate, engine guard, sprockets, fender w/brake fix, better hand guards and some soft bags, etc.
FYI, I'm wanting to make it ready to do sections of the TAT (Trans America Trail) before I leave this ball of dirt😁
Dave Sharpe
Lots of activity on the X300, within 2 HP of a KLR 650, lighter and sort of designed along the KLR line. Unless you are superman, try picking up your bike on a simple tip over, now try it with the bike on a downward slope , yes you will need some help. That is why I gave up my DRZ and went to a street bike. The X300 also has a extra gear over the KLR.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...FYI, I'm wanting to make it ready to do sections of the TAT (Trans America Trail) before I leave this ball of dirt😁
Dave Sharpe
, Dave - should be fun!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:48 AM

Garage
X300? Guess I should know this one, but I don't.

I'm on a whiskey diet, lost 3 days last week
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Im not a big fan of the V 1 styling but I love your finished product,very sweet looking machine now and just for appearance I see the V 1 in a whole different light. Kinda like not liking the sweater of your local sports team until they start winning,then you love it..
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
David P, Thanks for all your posts and info on the conversion for the 650V. Been trying to decide what to do. IE: Trade my '12 with 2k mi for a WR250R for bout $4k but would still have farkles to buy or convert it. Biggest issue is I ride alone mostly and dont have the apparent help you do on a get off. At 75 yrs old it could be an issue�� even though I'm bout your size (5' 11" 220lbs) but the 50 yrs difference is telling. Figure I'd spend close to $2k on first class conversion: tires/wheels, skid plate, engine guard, sprockets, fender w/brake fix, better hand guards and some soft bags, etc.
FYI, I'm wanting to make it ready to do sections of the TAT (Trans America Trail) before I leave this ball of dirt��
Dave Sharpe
I think you are extremely unlikely to lay it down if you're just terrain conquering and not trying to hit speed. I've been down twice in hundreds of miles on trails, once because I was trying to keep up with dirt bikes in trail(60 mph single track...learned my lesson and earned some road rash) and another on single track along the top ridge of an off camber hill when my slicks simply slid off to the right(replaced with knobbies 2 days later.)

If you put aggressive off road tires and lower the gearing I don't think you'll need to worry about falling off. Mine at idle will slowly spin the tire in dirt with the front brake on, you won't have to worry about stalling out.

The reason I'd stick with your Versys over a dirt bike is because the seat is low enough that you can paddle through tough stuff while seated so there's rarely a risk you have to take, just the ones you choose. It's very easy to be careful on. Dirt bikes want to go fast, they seem to be unhappy(overheat/battery goes dead/choppy power) when taking long slow technical sessions, and their falls are much more unavoidable(if ya can't reach the ground you're falling.) The Versys on the other hand has the stator to idle endlessly while keeping things charged, and once down geared gives u easy smooth power even from a stop.

Now lets talk about picking it up, I've never ridden loaded so I can't speak that. What I can say is the low placement of the weight does make this bike alot easier to pick up than its weight would make you think. It's a bit like picking a sledge hammer up, but you get to leave the head of the hammer on the ground making stopping you from having to feel most of the weight. Lay yours over and see how much trouble it gives you, I think you'll be surprised. 99% of the time I have to pick it up it is because the Kickstand sunk into the dirt, so if it is an issue make sure you get a big foot pad on your kick stand because it is near useless anywhere that isn't solid rock.

Lastly, for a long trip like that even at my age, I would want the Versys over the wr250: comfort still matters. And what would be pleasing rest section on your Versys would still be loud painful and uncomfortable for a wr250.

Or you could wait a year for the perfect solution ktm 790 ADV(look faimilar? :-D) :

Last edited by David P; 11-30-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode