New bike upgrades - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,308
Garage
New bike upgrades

This question seems to get asked and answered a lot on this forum. Now you have owned a Versys, or maybe several Versys like some of us, what would you advise new owners to get for their bikes, immediately? Here's my suggestion list...................

Tip over protection - engine bars to protect your investment because you are going to drop it on it's side more than once, probably. Better to protect the delicate parts now rather than afterward. SW-Motech make a recommended, and high quality product for the Versys that will pay for itself the first time the bike decides to lay on it's side. IMO much more important than a skid plate or hand guards for protection of the bike.

Download factory service manual - this tells you how to do pretty much any maintenance or service task in detail and step by step. Mandatory if you do your own service work. Free to download.

Cell Phone - if you have one and use it for GPS or POV Camera a RAM X Grip is very handy. Ram also make several ball mounts, including one for the central handlebar clamp of the Versys to mount this.

Rear swing arm spools - 10mm for older bikes and 8mm for 2015 and newer models. Very, very cheap on ebay. Mandatory for using a spool lift stand and the swing arm is already threaded for these.

Rear spool lift stand - I like my Venem brand stand for it's decent quality at a medium price, but there are numerous makes and models.

Suggest not buying an aftermarket seat immediately - this is because most people take a while to adapt to a motorcycle seat. Wait and see.....

Last edited by twowheels; 08-16-2018 at 01:15 AM.
twowheels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,263
Those are excellent recommendations in my opinion, with the understanding that it's just the beginning of the journey along a dark and slippery slope. Farklitis is a very serious disease for which there is no known cure, although one's irate spouse can cause momentary pauses. In that case, it's wise to remember the little-known quotation attributed to the Greek philosopher Testicles who famously said to his wife, "Revzilla package? Of what do you speak? I do not understand this term Revzilla package!"

I will admit that I'm one of the few who apparently does not yet suffer Smart Phone ASA (advanced screen addiction) and half the time don't even know where my cell phone is. For those who simply use a GPS I would recommend either RAM or Moto Werk mounts - both of which work very well - although neither will make your backside any more comfortable..
jaaklucas and Devilsfan like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 889
Hey I must bee a cool cat cuz I got's all dem upgrades!

Not bad for an old guy who is usually sucking canal water or hind tit.
quexpress likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 920
Micro sized front turn signals. Preferably LED units which are much brighter. The factory front signals will hit the pavement on 2015 and newer V650s (don't know if they do on prior years) which cracks the expensive plastic fairing they mount to. R&G makes very nice units along with a mounting adapter plate. The installation will require a cheap and super simple plug-in adapter to the wiring harness to convert to the LED lower power requirement.

Hard copy service manual. Hey, I'm old fashioned so I prefer a paper book to an electronic screen. I tend to write things on the inside covers such as wrench sizes, cotter pin sizes, oil specs and oil filter numbers, etc.

New tires. The factory OEM Dunlops were pretty crappy imho even though I don't ride especially aggressively. Either a decent 90/10 or 80/20 dual sport if you'll be going on much dirt, or a decent street tire.

Tools. JIS screwdrivers because standard Phillips don't really fit quite right. All the necessary sockets, especially the larger ones for axle nuts etc. A good floor bicycle pump. It is easy to add a few pounds of air to a motorcycle tire with a high volume (not high pressure) bicycle pump. No need to go to the gas station to find air. A set of hex wrenches. Tire plugs and patches in case you get a flat.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Member
 
webmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Dull-Aware
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This question seems to get asked and answered a lot on this forum. Now you have owned a Versys, or maybe several Versys like some of us, what would you advise new owners to get for their bikes, immediately? Here's my suggestion list...................

Tip over protection - engine bars to protect your investment because you are going to drop it on it's side more than once, probably. Better to protect the delicate parts now rather than afterward. SW-Motech make a recommended, and high quality product for the Versys that will pay for itself the first time the bike decides to lay on it's side. IMO much more important than a skid plate or hand guards for protection of the bike.

Download factory service manual - this tells you how to do pretty much any maintenance or service task in detail and step by step. Mandatory if you do your own service work. Free to download.

Cell Phone - if you have one and use it for GPS or POV Camera a RAM X Grip is very handy. Ram also make several ball mounts, including one for the central handlebar clamp of the Versys to mount this.

Rear swing arm spools - 10mm for older bikes and 8mm for 2015 and newer models. Very, very cheap on ebay. Mandatory for using a spool lift stand and the swing arm is already threaded for these.

Rear spool lift stand - I like my Venem brand stand for it's decent quality at a medium price, but there are numerous makes and models.

Suggest not buying an aftermarket seat immediately - this is because most people take a while to adapt to a motorcycle seat. Wait and see.....
Not but one of those.

1) Don't drop it. Easy enough to not do.

2) Download a manual. They're fun to read.

3) Stop playing with your damn phone. At least three times a week, some brain dead cage driver attempts to murder you cause he's playing with his damn phone. Two dopes don't make a brainiac.

4 & 5: A spool stand only helps lube your chain at home. A center stand helps lube your chain whether you're at home or stuck in East Gnawed Pencil Wyoming.

6) At the very least, prop up the nose of that stock seat. It's designed dumb.



Here's my list, in no particular order:

1) A USB charger
2) A center stand
3) Peg lowering blocks
4) Handlebar risers
5) Highway pegs
6) Rear rack
7) Seat riser block

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
webmost is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
...
4 & 5: A spool stand only helps lube your chain at home. A center stand helps lube your chain whether you're at home or stuck in East Gnawed Pencil Wyoming.
Have to disagree. W/ a 'truncated-crutch-stand' you can prop your bike UP on the right-side spool, to oil the chain (AFTER you lock the front brakes ON w/ two-sided Velcro!) on your trips "of discovery"!









DaveC, Ironfire, Charing and 1 others like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 920
I'll add get a big box of nitrile gloves to keep the grease off your hands when working on the bike. And a big box of superior ear plugs to keep your hearing from going away. I like Spark Plugs brand earplugs.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 912
If you have a 32" inseam or more, peg lowering blocks are the only thing on my "must have" upgrade list. Everything else is optional in my opinion, but the comfort the peg lowering blocks provide is worth every penny spent on them..
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
DaveC is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
If you have a 32" inseam or more, peg lowering blocks are the only thing on my "must have" upgrade list. Everything else is optional in my opinion, but the comfort the peg lowering blocks provide is worth every penny spent on them..
Oh yes! I have a mere 29" inseam and the peg lowering blocks made a world of difference.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Oh yes! I have a mere 29" inseam and the peg lowering blocks made a world of difference.
I AGREE w/ BOTH [altho' I'm a 30 or 31"]! Foot-peg lowering REALLY OPENS up the rider-triangle. HUGE difference in comfort.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Member
 
txcyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I AGREE w/ BOTH [altho' I'm a 30 or 31"]! Foot-peg lowering REALLY OPENS up the rider-triangle. HUGE difference in comfort.
I'm somewhere between 31" and 32" inseam, and I think I'm going to have to look into this. During my first day ride, I started feeling cramped over an hour into it. At some points, I pushed myself backward over the edge of the pillion to stretch out my legs a bit. I was thinking about either lowering the pegs or getting crash guards and installing highway pegs.

I do intend to get the 12 V adapter and get a mount so I can use my phone as a GPS, or just buy a GPS to use for longer trips. Hey...a girl has only got so much data/mo.!

Other than that? I really don't think I need anything.

Last edited by txcyclist; 08-17-2018 at 03:13 PM.
txcyclist is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Devilsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 704
Apologies if veering off topic but...a lot of times the cramping can be from lack of stretching. Always do some stretches (daily, really) especially for those longer rides. It can really do ya wonders!
Devilsfan is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Member
 
tommyvous59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: extreme south texas
Posts: 278
their are so many upgrades. look what's out there then apply it to your situation ......
tommyvous59 is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 156
Garage
My mods in order (I really think the first four are "must haves"):
1- DR 650 foot pegs from eBay (as per fasteddie)
2-12v accessory plug (Bike Master)
3- heated grips (Bike Master)
3.5- a good tank bag (not really a "mod" or farkle, but worth having)
4- 16 tooth front sprocket
4.5- Shad bags (which you would skip if buying an LT)
5- bigger wind screen (mine is a National cycle VStream, and it's excellent)
6- tires. I liked the stock Dunlops, but they wore out quickly. I like the Shinko 705s a lot.
7- crash bars (mine are made in China eBay specials. I like them, but suggest you spend up a little and get better)
8- who knows? Most likely a re flash of the ECM. Possibly an exhaust system after?
mentolio is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Member
 
jaaklucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 239
I also did a take on Fasteddies right side only spool stand.I took a Snapjack and made it mate with the spool by taking off their top bracket that lifts the swingarm.Works great,also have taken my wheel off for new chain,sprocket change.Lock the front brake with velcro!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modified snapjack.jpg (59.7 KB, 32 views)
jaaklucas is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,308
Garage
I have to disagree on fiddling with raising the front of the seat. It was designed this way so you can slide to the narrow and low front part of the seat at a stop. You sit on the wide supportive part of the seat while riding. If you are sliding forward unintentionally the likely cause is misadjusted handle bars, gripping tank helps too, but its mostly in the handle bar positioning.

All adventure bikes from every manufacturer have a sloped seat like the Versys.

I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and do not slide on the stock seat under the hardest braking. My wrists resist the force of braking.

A slight forward bend at the waist while riding is gentler on the back and more comfortable for long periods. It balances you against force of wind. It also keeps you from sliding around.

Whether you prefer a kickstand or pit stand will likely depend on the number of times you have to lube your chain while traveling. If you only do a few weekend trips a year you can roll the bike in neutral to lube the chain on the road and save the expense of a center stand and adding 25 extra pounds to the bike. If you're a nomad though the center stand starts to make more sense.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-16-2018 at 03:23 PM.
twowheels is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Member
 
StormRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
1- DR 650 foot pegs from eBay (as per fasteddie)
Can anyone elaborate on how to change these and the kind that fit? I'd like bigger pegs too.

Edit: Found footpeg install:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/kawasak...ide-foot-pegs/

_______________________________________________

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.

Last edited by StormRider; 09-28-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Found part of answer
StormRider is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Timbers of Fennario, Texas
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have to disagree on fiddling with raising the front of the seat. It was designed this way so you can slide to the narrow and low front part of the seat at a stop. You sit on the wide supportive part of the seat while riding. If you are sliding forward unintentionally the likely cause is misadjusted handle bars, gripping tank helps too, but its mostly in the handle bar positioning.

All adventure bikes from every manufacturer have a sloped seat like the Versys.

I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and do not slide on the stock seat under the hardest braking. My wrists resist the force of braking.

A slight forward bend at the waist while riding is gentler on the back and more comfortable for long periods. It balances you against force of wind. It also keeps you from sliding around.
I agree about the saddle. I don't know if I sit differently or not from some who have problems with the saddle, but I just move back to the step after I'm moving from a stop and let my hips rotate forward with the slope and my back straightens right out and can go for quite a while before I need to move around a bit. And moving back in the saddle allows me to lean forward just enough to get some weight transferred to my feet and the pegs. I don't have any tendencies to slide forward unconsciously. I have to make an effort to slide forward. I dunno.
GDP RIDER is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 156
Garage
Man, I was just reading through this thread again and realized that in my post I missed arguably the most important "first mod" for the V650: if you ever ride when the air temperature is below 75 degrees F (really if you ride your V650 at all), you should have a Thermo-Bob. That mod made a noticeable positive difference in the way my bike ran by "stabilizing" the operating temperature of the engine. Go to the website, read the info, and order...you won't regret it.
16VGTIDave likes this.
mentolio is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
...Go to the website, read the info, and order...you won't regret it.
And HERE it is:

Welcome

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome