Shinko Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Shinko Tires

Has anyone tried them? I don't put much stock in "brand names" anymore; hard to know who really owns them and where they are made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
They are a good tire with a good reputation.... dont worry about using them, they will be fine

Quote:
In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.

https://www.shinkotireusa.com/about

2016 green V1K
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM

I don't keep great records, but I have Shinko's on my V650 and really like them. I am a pretty easy rider, not much aggression. I have the Raven 009 (I think that is correct) and got 11.5 K out of the first rear and there must be like 14K on the front and it is still going strong. Can not speak to their abilities when it comes to riding at the limit or riding in rain (I live in the desert). I got them because I just wanted a lot of mileage out of my tires and them have certainly lived up to that wish. I have no reason to stop using Shinko's ever.
Oldandslow likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Garage
Dave, I pick up a nail on West Virginia ride two years ago and the only replacement available for my Aprillia was a Shinko. I've not had any problem with it. The only negative I read was they don't last very long.

Civit
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
I have 705's on mine. Had them for about 3 months. I am very happy with them.
Word of advice. When installing your new tire, get one of those 90 degree valve stems installed with each wheel. It will be soooo much easier to deal with tire pressure.

Randy
16VGTIDave likes this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 PM

Garage
I ran Shinko Ravens on my Versys and on my Vulcan Mean Streak. They are a fine tire.

That said, I just couldn't bring myself to run them on the Concours 1400 because I wasn't sure how they would last on that powerful and fast motorcycle.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 PM

As with cjcintucson and twowheeladdict, I have Raven 009's on my 2014 Versys 650 (stock sizes), and previously ran them on my '02 Bandit 1200 (180/60 rear). Rain. Twisties (though not aggressive). 11K miles on the rear. All good.

I'm sure an aggressive/sport rider would want more, but they worked well for me and wear better than most.

Oh, and they're CHEAP.

Definitely recommend.

Rob in KC
'14 V650, 20K miles
Kyle E likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 PM

I ran multiple sets of the 009 Raven on my Tiger 1050, ran the 804/805 on a RX3, ran the 712/705 on my MG Stelvio. (712 ultra cheap, ran it cross country and replaced)

The 009 was decent, 705 front was great until 10k miles then horrific in the wet, rear wore out in 4500 on the Stelvio. 804/5 pretty good.

They’re fine espiecially if you’re a mellow rider, they all lost traction late in the tires life but that’s not unique to Shinko.

Another good inexpensive tire is the Continental Motion, I ran tons of those commuting. 150ish a set about the same as the Raven in price.

Right now Dunlop’s got a 75 dollar rebate on Roadsmart 3 which makes them a 200 dollar set. They tied for first with the Angel GT in motorrad comparison test this year beating the Pilot Road 5. The Avon Spirit ST is 228 and also a good tire for not much more then a set of Ravens or Motions. The more expensive tires are better in the rain and cold wet roads if you need that.

Even if your’re a mellow rider the braking distances are better on the pricier tires which could be the difference in a hard breaking situation.
twowheeladdict and quexpress like this.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-14-2018 at 10:50 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Well, I can tell you from experiences back to back, same bike, same usual weight, same rider behavior,
that my shinko 805 in 150/70 (current) as already lasted the 9000km the anakee wild gave me,
and it would probably last another 3000km. I am amazed.
(I just don't really like the side slipping of the 805 though).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

I ran Shinko Raven(s) on my '08 (it or they worked FINE!) before I started riding on ADV rubber, first on Metzler Tourance, then on Shinko E705s which are PRESENTLY on BOTH my V650s, as well as several extras in the basement for WHEN I need them.

VERY happy w/ the 705s.

I ALSO ran several sets of ContiMotions on both, the last set being summer of '17 mounted for my cross-Canada ride, then BACK to 705s...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I ran Shinko Raven(s) on my '08 (it or they worked FINE!) before I started riding on ADV rubber, first on Metzler Tourance, then on Shinko E705s which are PRESENTLY on BOTH my V650s, as well as several extras in the basement for WHEN I need them.

VERY happy w/ the 705s.

I ALSO ran several sets of ContiMotions on both, the last set being summer of '17 mounted for my cross-Canada ride, then BACK to 705s...!

I think I prefer the Conti Motion to the 009. The profiles very round on the 009, turn in's a bit slow.

My 705 was great until the front lost all grip in the wet late it it's life. By all grip I mean 1/3rd brakes set the abs off, it was terrifying. I might give them another shot at some point but the Avon Trailriders the tire I'll be on to Alaska next year.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
Has anyone tried them? I don't put much stock in "brand names" anymore; hard to know who really owns them and where they are made.
My experience with tires is like much else. You get what you pay for, not including sales and special deals.

I ran a cheap set of tires, Continental Conti Motions. Like any other tires they worked in the dry and straight lines but lacked traction in the wet and cold. These are tires I would not trust to lean far into a turn when it was wet or cold. They slid and give out on numerous occasions when better tires would not have in these challenging conditions. The Metzeler Roadtec 01's I am running now are much more stable and confidence inspiring and seem to be wearing better although I only have 5K on them so far. Wear is minimal and cold and wet grip is as good as it gets - on par with Michelin if not better. The bike wants to lean with these tires.

Since tires are a bigger factor in safety, feel, braking, grip and handling on a bike than a car, you only have two wheels, I would get the best tires you can but that's just me, and try to save in other areas that are less noticeable.

There won't be much of a difference between tires in warm, dry conditions, driving straight or taking gentle corners but the more challenging the conditions the more good tires separate themselves.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-16-2018 at 12:33 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM

At Rocky Mountain ATV

Shinko Raven 009 161 dollars set
Continental Motion 151 Set
Avon Spirit ST 228 set
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 (tied for best tire at Motorrad this year) 273 set (75 rebate till end of august=198 set)
Michelin Pilot Road 5 324 set

I personally went with the Roadsmart due to the rebate this summer, supposed to be an excellent tire and 40-50 bucks more than the cheapest tire is a no brainer for me. If that didn't exist I'd go Avon as they're pretty well regarded.

Michelins just overpriced IMO for what they offer now. Most big brands have caught up/matched or exceeded them for less money. They're running on reputation from the loyal Pilot Road 2/3/4 owners IMO.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
...I might give them another shot at some point but the Avon Trailriders the tire I'll be on to Alaska next year.
Are you planning D2D '19?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 05:56 AM

Garage
I've got the 705's and they perform well on pavement and dirt. Don't have enough miles yet to see how they will wear (3000).

so it goes...
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Are you planning D2D '19?
Were leaving NY in Mid June so not sure I'll make it there in that timeframe. Maybe?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:16 PM

I have a set of shinko ravens on my versys 650 with about 3,000 miles on them. They are a fantastic value for the money, however I think I will spend more to get some higher end tires next time. I have been very happy with the rear tire but not as much with the front one. I noticed right away after mounting them that the front one makes some road noise around 30-40 mph. I may have to re-balance the front one also as it doesn't feel as smooth when I first had them on (however this is very slight and I'm being very critical).

2009 Blue Versys
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:55 PM

so far i like my shinko 705's. ride well, no problems.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Garage
I've had 705s for around 1000 miles so far. They do make some noise on pavement, and feel like knobbies (compared to a more street biased tire) on pavement as well. That said they are great in the rain! My first long ride on them (New Sweden 450) was in pouring rain for most of the ride, and wet roads when it stopped raining, and they never lost traction or felt squirrelly in a corner. I am super impressed with these "budget" ADV tires.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 PM

The last 5 sets of tires I put on my R1200RT were Shinko 009 Ravens.
I like them a lot, especially for the price. I normally got 7 - 8k miles on the rears and maybe another 1k from the fronts. I normally changed them as a set because the fronts tend (for me) to wear out on the sides. I imagine that if I spent most of my time on the highway, they would last much longer.
One thing I noticed personally, was that my RT wanted to fall into turns with the Ravens. It startled me the first time I pulled out of the drive on a set, and I thought I had made a mistake.
After I got used to the turn in, I found that I liked it up in the twisties. I tried a set of Michelin PR4s (I had used PR2s and 3s before), and found them sluggish after the Shinkos.
Once these "stock" tires are done, I will try the Ravens on the V1k.
My BMW friends turned their noses up at them (they can be tire snobs), but I never had any trouble keeping up with the "fast group" on them.
YMMV...

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode