• 3 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Urban assault/adventure Versys

Here is a V650 review from a guy in Russia (video is in English). He pretty much rides his like it's some kind of urban assault vehicle (oh the things you can get away with on a bike in Russia). The review is also spot on, at least based on my own experience with my V650.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So sad that this guy never took it off road for real.
Maybe he needs another 50'000km to get bored of repeating all the pavement around where he lives.
Let's check where he is at in 2-3 years...(I mean, I bet he can't just eat level 1 - you'll see).

I started doing off pavement with my ninja, it was around 150'000km when I got quite into it. Got the versys and oh my this is fun with tkc80 front and any decent aggressive 50/50 rear.

It's so great to be able to do highway at 120 km/h, then hop in the woods for an hour of rocky forest road, pop back on twisties and back out into a trail with sand so on, without even pausing. This is what the VERsatile SYStem (well, let say 1 extra inch suspension and a 17 inch front wheel, really) is for.
StormRider likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
NOT exactly what I would consider an urban assault or ADVersys.........
Freubel, tommyvous59 and mrvwbug like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
NOT exactly what I would consider an urban assault or ADVersys.........
Jeff - you BETTER check your camera's settings. I think it's OVER-exposing, 'cause all those mountains came out 'white'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
So sad that this guy never took it off road for real.
Maybe he needs another 50'000km to get bored of repeating all the pavement around where he lives.
Let's check where he is at in 2-3 years...(I mean, I bet he can't just eat level 1 - you'll see).

I started doing off pavement with my ninja, it was around 150'000km when I got quite into it. Got the versys and oh my this is fun with tkc80 front and any decent aggressive 50/50 rear.

It's so great to be able to do highway at 120 km/h, then hop in the woods for an hour of rocky forest road, pop back on twisties and back out into a trail with sand so on, without even pausing. This is what the VERsatile SYStem (well, let say 1 extra inch suspension and a 17 inch front wheel, really) is for.
You could do all you describe on a KLX250S. And have a better off road experience. My '12 KLX250S was fine up to 65 MPH with my 200lbs in gear aboard.

When I went off road with the Versys it was definitely at a milder pace but I never tried off-road tires on it. With the shinkos it was fine on gravel and hard pack.

Right tool for the job or a compromise. When something is versatile it is usually a compromise in at least one area.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You could do all you describe on a KLX250S. And have a better off road experience. My '12 KLX250S was fine up to 65 MPH with my 200lbs in gear aboard.

When I went off road with the Versys it was definitely at a milder pace but I never tried off-road tires on it. With the shinkos it was fine on gravel and hard pack.

Right tool for the job or a compromise. When something is versatile it is usually a compromise in at least one area.
Well, if you can't do 70+ mph, than no, a klx250 cannot follow a versys 650 as I described!

With my knobbies, I have not used all the potential yet (because I hate picking it up). I would like to try a 250 one day, but don't feel the need yet. The only thing I have to be careful for is the ground clearance and "short" suspension.

So I agree with the milder pace. But it's my limit currently, not the bikes. No jumping logs and rushing in rocks or holes; just respect the bike, but otherwise I do ADV riding just like the others; rocks, sand, mud, water crossing, even some snow! I don't feel like I made compromises for the moment.

This is my 3rd year with my adversys and I don't want a 250 yet, so it's gotta be good... It would be hard to let go of the power and the capability to go on 10'000km trips comfortably.

Last edited by dddd; 08-10-2018 at 06:19 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Well, if you can't do 70+ mph, than no, a klx250 cannot follow a versys 650 as I described!

With my knobbies, I have not used all the potential yet (because I hate picking it up). I would like to try a 250 one day, but don't feel the need yet. The only thing I have to be careful for is the ground clearance and "short" suspension.

So I agree with the milder pace. But it's my limit currently, not the bikes. No jumping logs and rushing in rocks or holes; just respect the bike, but otherwise I do ADV riding just like the others; rocks, sand, mud, water crossing, even some snow! I don't feel like I made compromises for the moment.

This is my 3rd year with my adversys and I don't want a 250 yet, so it's gotta be good... It would be hard to let go of the power and the capability to go on 10'000km trips comfortably.
It would do 75 at sea level if I laid on the tank.

My off road bike progression was DRZ400S, KLR650, KLX250S.

Bikes I have had on single track trails: '85 Honda Shadow 700, '78 Honda 550 four SS, Versys 650. The first two were at 1st gear exploring mode.

Bikes I have had on gravel roads: All that I have owned. Some not on purpose.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Urban assault/adventure Versys

This thread is REALLY (???) about..."Urban assault/adventure Versys"....

Forget that these pics are of a URAL, but this what you GOTTA do....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07405copy.jpg (447.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07406copy.jpg (403.9 KB, 3 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - you BETTER check your camera's settings. I think it's OVER-exposing, 'cause all those mountains came out 'white'....

people might think there's snow, or something ........
AlaskaJeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode