• 8 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 6 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
my FIRST bike, back in '63...

I bought a Nikon film scanner MANY moons ago, and w/ moves, etc, had not used it for quite awhile, but I wanted to access some of my slides/negs as digital files, so I 'fired-up' my OLD Apple lap-top, hoping I still had the "app" in there, to re-use the scanner.

No such luck, so (as Nikon no longer supports it...) I reached out to another photographer friend, who gave me a very good suggestion. I followed-up on it, and got a NEW driver online ($100) which made the scanner operational once more, and got to work!

Among the negs I found were shots of my first motorcycle, a '62 Triumph Thunderbird, which eventually 'morphed' into a dragster, but unfortunately I lost all negs of the dragster, except for an article written about it in Jan '67 (the magazine kept my negs...).

A few of my chums also rode, so we went into a park near my parent's home, and took a few pics (my Triumph was ALREADY morphing into a "high-perf" bike, w/ higher compression, twin-carb Bonneville head, custom headers and some merely cosmetic changes).

I was already 'running' it at the local drag-races. Here's a shot of me 'laying-some-rubber' in that park (I know, I know - NOT much evidence of ATGATT, but at least I was wearing a NEW BELL 500TX helmet, custom-painted!).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg T'bird5copy.jpg (408.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg T'bird6copy.jpg (310.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg T'bird4copy.jpg (395.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg T'bird3copy.jpg (407.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg T'bird1copy.jpg (373.7 KB, 4 views)
Fastoman, weljo2001, Turk and 5 others like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-04-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

at the 'drags'...

I also had a '62 Triumph Bonneville (where I got the twin-carb head), but had enough 'problems' w/ it that I sold the 'Bonny' as a single-carb bike. Before I did I raced my T'bird wearing the Bonneville gas-tank - here's a pic of it set-up for the drags, pic taken in my parent's yard, in Edmonton. [Ultimately I used the Thunderbird as the basis of my drag-bike.]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg T'bird2copy.jpg (304.5 KB, 1 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

going to Alf Hagon's shop in England...

In '63 or '64 I got a job w/ Air Canada loading baggage at the Edmonton International Airport, and in '65 flew to England on a "pass", to see their "DragFest", and to look at some of the shops making "go-fast" goodies, one being Alf Hagon's where I bought a pair of 1.5 inch "Wal Phillips Fuel Injectors", as well as different headers w/ 'slow-taper' megaphones. The winter BEFORE I also bought a set of 12-1 compression Power Sphere pistons and a set of Harmon-Collins roller cams, along w/ a FEW more "go-fast-goodies" which went into the engine....

I also had the tank painted in green metal-flake, but FIRST I ran it at the drags w/ a small tank, on alcohol.

Then I entered it into the Local "World of Wheels" car show where it collected a first.

Those were pretty innocent times...!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quasimodo4copy.jpg (303.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Quasimodo5copy.jpg (358.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Quasimodo1copy.jpg (352.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Quasimodo2copy.jpg (72.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Quasimodo3copy.jpg (467.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Quasimodo6copy.jpg (379.3 KB, 3 views)
Fastoman, quexpress, Turk and 3 others like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-04-2018 at 03:33 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice Eddie. What a trip back in time. I first became enamored with bikes when I got to ride a friends old moped home from caddying in 1966 when I was 14. Not long after I had dreams of getting a Triumph as the only Harley in my size was the little 250cc, and Honda was just coming out with the 305 then the 350, soon to be followed by all the 2 cyl. rice burners. Rode amny between 1968 - 71, but never did get one even though I thought I was an authority for years. finally when I was 60 I got my first bike, my Versus.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
...finally when I was 60 I got my first bike, my Versus.
It's NEVER too late!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Since i was born in 62. My first bike was a 1973 Hawaiian Blue Honda Z-50 then the next year a 1974 Suzuki TS-50....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That is awesome!

My first bike was a used Kawasaki 125 enduro (1970ís something). You could get a motorcycle license @ 14 years old, so I did. 40 years later I got a V!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Awesome memories of your bike. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode