650 Mods luv the debate! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pipertom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking 650 Mods luv the debate!

I just read through the post on ECU flash. Loved it!

I have had my V 650 for about a month. 1350 miles. Fun squared.

I not only like to ride it, but like to think about, read about and do mods. I believe RevZilla, twistedThrottle, boosterplug, ... companies may know that about me if the track my web site visits (and Kawasakiversys.com. ).

So, my $0.02 worth, I will keep dreaming of great rides & mods for now and the future.

I am guessing that motorcycle disc brakes, fuel injection, kick stand engine shut off,....and lots of other safety and performance mods, came from “pioneers” like I read about here. Someone says “I can make this a bit better”, and he/she does! That is how technology marches forward.

There is no doubt the V650 is fantastic as is, but I am glad there are experimenters out there. I will follow (some ) of you.

Pipertom
Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Garage
"Kick stand engine shut-off...from pioneers..."

I remember my first week working at a local Honda/Yamaha dealership, right after I got out of the USAF (1996). A guy pulls up with a beautiful condition '84-86 Honda CB700SC on a trailer. I remember inquiring what the bike was there for, and the owner says he is in litigation vs. Honda because he was "almost killed" because his kick stand was still down after putting the bike in gear and riding off (I do not believe it came equipped with this "safety feature", that or it was and failed). I'm young and dumb at the time, so I ask "so you forgot to put your kick stand up before taking off?" Dude did not appreciate my question. Kickstand kill switch: I'm fairly certain that one was a product of lawsuits.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 AM

I agree!

Although I tend to be a "keep it stock" guy I do find the accessory modifications to be neat and fun to discover/use/know about. Many of these things start as an idea in someone's basement and progress into a full-fledged business, and more power to them!

I have yet to own a motorcycle where I never had to add/adjust something on it. Therefore, modifications are a necessity for a motorcycle that fits you personally. I will say that, other than pair valves, I have never modified my engines (I believe the engineers do things because they know what they're doing more than I ever would!) but I don't bash anyone who has tried to make their engines run...differently - unless they're trying to make a very small engine run like a very large one. But to try and make an engine more fuel-efficient/stronger/quicker...as long as it's within parameters then I'm down with it!

I applaud ingenuity, especially in this day and age of everything having some type of computer in it. There are some things that I'd go for and other things that I'd stay away from. But either/or the concepts are always pretty intriguing to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
"Kick stand engine shut-off...from pioneers..."

I remember my first week working at a local Honda/Yamaha dealership, right after I got out of the USAF (1996). A guy pulls up with a beautiful condition '84-86 Honda CB700SC on a trailer. I remember inquiring what the bike was there for, and the owner says he is in litigation vs. Honda because he was "almost killed" because his kick stand was still down after putting the bike in gear and riding off (I do not believe it came equipped with this "safety feature", that or it was and failed). I'm young and dumb at the time, so I ask "so you forgot to put your kick stand up before taking off?" Dude did not appreciate my question. Kickstand kill switch: I'm fairly certain that one was a product of lawsuits.
Good story. Here's the flip side:

The KLR comes from the factory already in need of a profusion of mods. Many of these mods are very low cost or even free. For example, the wise KLRista will disable his kickstand cutoff switch. More than one rider has thumped over a pothole & discovered the hard way that his kickstand spring is so weak that the stand jerks down & shuts off his engine. First time I heard of this, I ran my new-to-me KLR Biffy Bullfrog over the nearest speed bump at speed, and sure enough...

I disabled the switch that very afternoon.

In 11 years and 55k miles, I've yet to "almost kill myself" for lack of Buffy Bullfrog's kickstand switch.

OTOH I do remember a story of a feller on a beemer forum, invited to ride his buddy's lovely Harley, reached over and started it before even throwing a leg over... oops.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
...so I ask "so you forgot to put your kick stand up before taking off?" Dude did not appreciate my question. Kickstand kill switch: I'm fairly certain that one was a product of lawsuits.
I can't remember WHICH of my 'early' bikes "tossed-me" on my head when I forgot the stand was DOWN, and TRIED riding off (probably my Thunderbird...), but probably happened on a couple of others....

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
...For example, the wise KLRista will disable his kickstand cutoff switch. More than one rider has thumped over a pothole & discovered the hard way that his kickstand spring is so weak that the stand jerks down & shuts off his engine...
When I got my KLR in '04, a riding buddy had JUST towed a KLR out of the bush w/ his BMW GS1200 when that switch on the KLR had failed, they couldn't get it to start, so I disabled mine that day.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode