Two months in now - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By jaaklucas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Two months in now

Some thoughts on my new Versys. Had it two months now and put over 3k miles on it so far.

My riding background isn't extensive, but not super substantial, started in the 90's with a rebel 250, then a dual sport kawi (think it was a 600? I forget lol) then I had a mid 80's GPZ750. Then we got pregnant. Sold my GPZ (loved that bike) and didn't ride for 12 years.

Then 2 months ago I got my 2018 Versys 650LT. I got it originally as a commuter bike. I live in Colorado Springs, but my office is in Denver. Without traffic it's a 45-50 minute commute (doing the speed limit). 16mpg in my F150 was getting pretty old lol.

I rode it easy the first 600 miles and then got it's first service done. I liked it, it was comfortable and had enough power for me. I was thinking though, why didn't I get a sportier bike that sits upright like an fz09 or something? I think I had been comparing it to the rush of my old gpz. My problem I found out was my lack of bikes or riding experience in the last 12 years to compare it to.

Then I joined a facebook riding group. They have all kinds of riders, but I seemed to be the only adv bike out of 300 members. I went on a few big rides with like 30+ people. While I met and liked quite a few of them, those big rides are a pass for me. Too many people too many varying skill levels of riding.

Just when I was thinking of leaving the group I got an invite to another much smaller group who uses that one to recruit non-retarded riders. They were almost all sport bike riders, with a few cruisers thrown in

I started riding with them, smaller 2 or 3 to 10 person rides with people who really knew how to ride. That's when I started really putting all the miles on my bike and learning to love it for what it is.

My riding buddies almost all ride sport bikes or super sport bikes. Some of them have cruisers as well, but I'm still the only adv bike rider. After miles and miles of riding with them, I must say I am super impressed with the versys.

Highway riding - While I can't go near as fast as my buddies, I can go plenty fast enough. With me on it (6' tall 220lbs) and on a flat stretch of road I can hit 120, not the 150+ a lot of them can go, but it's enough to keep them in my sights and not fall too far behind. Where it really shines though is comfort and gas mileage. They all need two tanks of gas to my one and they need to stop to stretch while I can just keep going without discomfort. I get jealous talk about those 2 things a lot lol.

Where my bike really shines with these guys is in the mountain twisties. Sure, they go fast in a straight line, but the versys seems to handle just as well, if not a tiny bit better, than their sport bikes out in the tight twisties. I go into corners faster than them, and the low range torque gets me out faster usually too. I can keep up just fine and haven't felt like I'm pushing the limits of my bike at all really. Keeping it in a gear where I can stay between 5k and 8k RPMs and going to town, I feel this bike is where it belongs. It is at home in the mountains.

Dirt - I haven't been on one dirt road, and probably won't. I love this bike, and it is an adv bike, but I have street tires on it and it just seems like it's a bit too top heavy to be super effective in the dirt. I grew up riding dirt bikes when I was a kid though, and had a dual sport for a while as an adult, so I don't think this would hold up to the performance I was used to off road.

During all of this I keep thinking about what I would do to make this bike better.

First thing I have done is added a phone mount with a built in charger, just ran the mounts cable under fairings straight to the battery (it has an in line fuse). Easier than adding the relay and doing the stock port and a non charging mount and works great. I'm never going to leave my phone on it for weeks at a time charging so I don't need to worry about battery life on my bike.

I am getting some LED lights in the next few days as well. The two that mount on the front sides like fog lamps, not sure what they are called lol. And a light bar for underneath the headlights. One of the people from my riding group is selling the whole set to me for $30, can't beat that.

My only real complaint is the quietness of the bike. I can't hear it when I'm riding with other people, and by myself the wind and music in my helmet can drown it out. While some consider this a good thing, I like to hear the motor, especially in the twisties, so I don't have to use feel and looking down at my tach while I'm trying to watch where I'm going. I may get a mild exhaust system for it. I don't want it super loud, but louder than it is now.

Also, this is the first bike I have ever had with a gear indicator, how did I ever ride without one for so long?!?!??!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiller View Post

Also, this is the first bike I have ever had with a gear indicator, how did I ever ride without one for so long?!?!??!?
Yup, 2015 650 ABS Versys, had a 07 before, still no gear indicator, I am able to count to 6, both forward and reverse, I know what RPM is at 110 KM/ HR in 6th gear , Once or twice a year I am in 2nd at a stop, still able to take off NP, once I can't do that it is time to give up the bike. I do have a after market gear indicator in a box, needs to be taught , figured not worth the effort, one more thing to look at and distract me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiller View Post
...While I met and liked quite a few of them, those big rides are a pass for me. Too many people too many varying skill levels of riding.

...My only real complaint is the quietness of the bike. I can't hear it when I'm riding with other people, and by myself the wind and music in my helmet can drown it out. While some consider this a good thing, I like to hear the motor, especially in the twisties, so I don't have to use feel and looking down at my tach while I'm trying to watch where I'm going. I may get a mild exhaust system for it. I don't want it super loud, but louder than it is now....
I'm w/ you on NOT riding in big groups - TOO dangerous.

I can hear the "growl" when I get on the throttle on my V650s, so I'm quite happy NOT making noise....

Be aware that your exhaust is ONE PIECE, so you'll need to buy the COMPLETE system, not just a muffler, so it'll be PRICEY!
Turk and jaaklucas like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:03 PM

"Just when I was thinking of leaving the group I got an invite to another much smaller group who uses that one to recruit non-retarded riders. They were almost all sport bike riders, with a few cruisers thrown in

I started riding with them, smaller 2 or 3 to 10 person rides with people who really knew how to ride. That's when I started really putting all the miles on my bike and learning to love it for what it is."

Kind of interesting, that is what I did-only I started the group. The larger group's stated plans were 175-250 mi. for a ride with one food stop and needed gas stops all done at 5-10 mph over the speed limit, and a lot done on interstates. I got about 5 guys out of that group that like what I plan = 150 mi/day usually max., a stretch break every 50-60 miles, at least two food stops and if we are not holding up traffic, I ride slower than the speed limit. Also we take back roads everywhere if they are paved. Our guys have BMWs x 2, Yamahas x 2, one Harley. Also a couple snow birds, one with a Harley, one with a Yamaha. We have a great time, with great company, see interesting scenery, enjoy "dive bar" lunches and still get home before rush hour traffic. LIFE IS GOOD !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M:C Posse @River Bottom Bar.JPG (113.9 KB, 17 views)

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
...Also a couple snow birds, one with a Harley, one with a Yamaha....
Chuck - how about... Also THREE snow birds, one with a Harley, one with a Yamaha, one Canuck (from Florence, AZ) on a V650...?

You HAVE let me ride w/ you....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 PM

Noisy motorcycles.....tell me one person other than the person riding the bike who likes it.Live in the city,live in the country its all the same story.And the guys riding wear earplugs..I like that the V hauls and doesn't have to advertise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are enjoying your ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode