5Likes
  • 3 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By motorboy
  • 1 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
South of the Border Savvy

A little trick to make those difficult tire plugs go in a bit easier.

I learned this trick from my brother in law, who has spent literally decades riding dirt and street bikes down in Baja.

On a recent trip one guy in his group got a flat tire while out on the trail. As they were doing the repair some local's stopped by to assist. The guy with the flat was struggling to install the dry (no glue) worm. The local said: "Senior let me help you." He proceeded to grab his gas can and pour some gas on the tire plug.

The guy with the flat then easily shoved it home into the tire.

So fast forward to a couple of days ago. I decided to take a morning ride before temps migrated into the triple digits. When I checked my tire pressures, I noticed the rear was about 5 pounds low...Hummmmm? After a quick inspection I aired it up and rode.

I checked it again today and sure enough it had dropped about 3 pounds once again. Put on my reading glasses for a closer look. Low and behold I saw the culprit then squirted some H2O on it and slow bubbles appeared. Grabbed the small needle nose pliers and yanked it out. Crap a damn staple.

Got out the tire plug kit and went to work. After proper reaming I tried to install the plug dry...Yep tried and no cigar. Then I remembered the recently imparted south of the border wisdom. Sure enough, lube that puppy up with petrol and presto it pops in like a greased turd.

Now my on board tire plug kit also contains a small plastic hose to siphon some gas out of the tank should the need arise.

Hope this can help someone else in a "tight" situation.

Cheers.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 07-25-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...Then I remembered the recently imparted south of the border wisdom. Sure enough, lube that puppy up with petrol and presto it pops in like a greased turd....
Tim - I am surprised w/ you: I've NEVER wanted to "pops IN like a greased turd", but pops OUT like a greased turd is OK w/ ME!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Tim - I am surprised w/ you: I've NEVER wanted to "pops IN like a greased turd", but pops OUT like a greased turd is OK w/ ME!

Yea I know, but when she finally let loose and popped in that was the imagery that came to mind...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Me likeee will remember that
hawkerjet likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 AM

I have the mushroom type repair kit on my bike.
They come with some type of lube already but I removed it.
Instead of their lube I have a small tube of tire repair cement that I install the plug with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
A little trick to make those difficult tire plugs go in a bit easier.

I learned this trick from my brother in law, who has spent literally decades riding dirt and street bikes down in Baja.

On a recent trip one guy in his group got a flat tire while out on the trail. As they were doing the repair some local's stopped by to assist. The guy with the flat was struggling to install the dry (no glue) worm. The local said: "Senior let me help you." He proceeded to grab his gas can and pour some gas on the tire plug.

The guy with the flat then easily shoved it home into the tire.

So fast forward to a couple of days ago. I decided to take a morning ride before temps migrated into the triple digits. When I checked my tire pressures, I noticed the rear was about 5 pounds low...Hummmmm? After a quick inspection I aired it up and rode.

I checked it again today and sure enough it had dropped about 3 pounds once again. Put on my reading glasses for a closer look. Low and behold I saw the culprit then squirted some H2O on it and slow bubbles appeared. Grabbed the small needle nose pliers and yanked it out. Crap a damn staple.

Got out the tire plug kit and went to work. After proper reaming I tried to install the plug dry...Yep tried and no cigar. Then I remembered the recently imparted south of the border wisdom. Sure enough, lube that puppy up with petrol and presto it pops in like a greased turd.

Now my on board tire plug kit also contains a small plastic hose to siphon some gas out of the tank should the need arise.

Hope this can help someone else in a "tight" situation.

Cheers.
Presto, it popped in like a greased what?!?! What a disgusting and horrible image. Try though I may, I just can't picture such a process, or would that be an event? I thought for a moment I might have captured the image but then I threw up and it vanished - thankfully!
hawkerjet likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode