Another vote for the KLR side stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Sturmeyhack
  • 1 Post By Coopz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another vote for the KLR side stand

My bike had gotten knocked over onto its left side at some point before I bought it; the side stand was badly bent and the mounting bolt was stripped. It got to the point where I was half expecting to find my bike sitting on its side at the end of any given day.

So I bought a late-model KLR side stand, which came with its own mounting bolt/locknut and—very important—its own spring.

Hmmm. This needed some thinking through….

I couldn't replace the side stand without propping up the bike in some way. An aftermarket center stand was out; too much $$$. So I ended up with a pair of Ebay swingarm spools and a $60 paddock stand from Harbor Freight. (The paddock stand happened to be on sale for $40. W00t!)

The H-F stand has adjustable feet for the spools. I set mine up so that the drive-side foot was all the way in, as close to the beam as possible, as this one would be taking most of the weight of the bike when levering it on/off. After that, I adjusted right-side foot to fit the spool on the right.

It wasn’t a very new-new-new KLR side stand; it came wearing a coat a battleship grey, and needed a coat of rattle-can black to match the rest of the bike.

Once I got the bike up on the stand (easily done without any help; just point the bars straight ahead, line the paddock stand’s feet with the spools—contacting on the drive side—and push down) the rest of the job was pretty easy.

No need for a spring puller; you can just mount the spring on its bosses and then muscle the stand into place on the mounting bracket. It takes a bit of convincing, but it can be done.

I painted a bit of anti-seize on the moving parts, and some Loktite on the threads of the bolt before installing it and the locknut.

Results: great. Not nearly as wobbly as the old stand, and I have no qualms about parking on gravel now. (The KLR's foot is at least twice the size of the Versys’s foot, and doesn't sink down the way the old one did.) It might be a hair longer than the original stand, but no biggie. The bike stands up fine.

Added bonus: forcing me to buy a paddock stand makes chain lube/adjustment much easier than without.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:58 PM

I bought one a few months ago for mine, best upgrade I've ever done. Bikes 10x more stable when parked.
Sturmeyhack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kickstand, kickstand mod, klr side stand, side stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode