Advice on a rear top box? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on a rear top box?

I have been considering a rear top box on my 2008 650. My first thought was to get one as big as possible, but I though ask and see what works best. Shapes, sizes, brands, locking systems and what ever I should look for?
I am not a tourer but I tend to need short term storage for things I pick up doing errands etc. Oh yeah, helmet storage.

Randy

Last edited by Randyjaco; 07-21-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Garage
Some will say go big. My buddy has a Shad SH48 (48 liters), and it's big! It'll,hold two full face helmets, plus some stuff (he once had a helmet, a 12 pack of beer, and two Taco Bell "dinner boxes" in there, plus some other sundries). That's cool, but my take on it is that the more storage space I have up high, the more I'll use (and the more weight I'll be carrying up high, which is not where I want to carry it!). I went a little smaller and got a Shad SH40C. 8 liters difference doesn't sound like a lot till you see them side by side. My SH40 is narrower, and still holds 1 full face helmet, plus some stuff, but really is quite a bit smaller than the "big uns." I have only gone on two over-night trips, and the SH40 has worked out really well for me. When I need to carry MORE STUFF (ugh!), I hang my Shad SH36 side bags (which are about as big as they come!) and pack'em up. I find Shad stuff to be good quality and low-priced, tho I'm sure others would disagree. I've never had any problem with any of my Shad equipment. Best of luck with whatever you decide!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:42 PM

Garage
After many Givi trunks this time I went with a Emgo 34L-I like it a lot more than Givi and a lot cheaper no rattles seals tight will mount up to the Givi rack or any rack for that matter

Deep in Cajun Country

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 PM

on my 2008 I've got a 48L givi top box and SW-motech rack. i can easily put in my XXL helmet and jacket. has served me well.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Garage
I have the Givi V47 on my '16 650LT, and at first I thought it seemed a tad big. However, I commute to work and I can get my pants, jacket, and gloves in the top box. Then I put my helmet in one side bag. The other side has rain gear and room for more if I have something else to throw in there. If I take off the side bags, I can still fit my helmet, gloves, and either my jacket or pants all in the top box. So I'm glad I went with the size I did, and the V47 is the same as the Kawasaki factory box.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Alex V Dawn
Mine Shad is cool. But as i heard Givi is really better in quality. With higher prices too.

I took something cheaper, to fit my wallet, but if you really wants great quality you should choose Givi. Shad is good. But GIVI is higher.
And ofc don't take crappy cheap no-name budget one, you would regret it one day.

So this is a Shad 45. I think my old top case on KLR was 35 liters volume. But i don't regret this size, it never annoyed me yet and i like to fit closely and slowly between stopped cars at each red/stop light (roads are small here ). It's alway the handbars who are hard to fit, not the top box.
And a large top box will protect rear of your bike if you fall. And huge winter jacket with more.... will fit in. Or summer jacket+helmet.
I like the white "light reflector" at the back, looks good.
I alrdy put pretty heavy charge like 8 coca bottle and stuff so 12-14 kg.
Can't tell you if it will last for years, as i have it only for a month. But my last Shad was good for 10years. But was smaller size.
Key system working perfectly.
There is flexible straps inside to avoid things moving.
I paid 180€ total, with a -30% special deal on the fitting.

Well, if it can helps : the fitting system is very good and solid quality and easy to fix. I have chosen to screw the top box to the fitting because, first, i don't need to separate them, but especially to avoid any top box stealing. So, obviously, it's pretty solid now xD

(i hadn't screwed old one to the fitting, on my KLR, and np )

But hey ! if u don't mind the price difference, take a GIVI !

Last edited by Alex V Dawn; 07-22-2018 at 08:15 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM

This won't make me overly popular with top trunk advocates but I've never been a fan of mounting a large box that far aft and that high on the bike. Keeping the weight low and as close to the "triangle" as possible is what I grew up with and I still believe it's a good thing. That's merely my humble opinion.

Maybe it's a weight and balance/mean aerodynamic chord thing held over from USAF days.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-22-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM

I'm on my third bike (2014 Versys 650) with a Givi topcase. See pics. Definitely consider the competing products, but I'm a big fan of Givi based on:
- I've commuted for years in the rain - never a leak
- I dumped my old Suzuki Bandit 1200 more than once - a Givi topcase makes a great frame slider and protects the side exhaust
- I broke one of the keys (my fault, not Givi's) - Givi sent me a replacement lock set and keys ...free!
- I've exceed the maximum weight rating for ~100K miles of commuting and so far haven't had a problem with any of the cases or the mounts

I have V46 Monokey on the Versys, which holds two full-face helmets (barely). Or my Targus laptop backpack and two medium takeout pizzas. Or one large bag of groceries. Etc.

I know the weight sits high and back, but I really don't notice it.
I prefer it to side cases which interfere with lane splitting....well, they would if I were still in CA

Yeah, it's big. One person remarked it looked like a big BBQ grill parked on the back of the bike. That's fine. I'm not trying to impress anyone, and I'm all about function, not fashion. And no, Givi is not cheap. In 2016 I paid $420 for the case and rack from Twisted Throttle.

There's an argument for smaller/slimmer, but this works for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 Versys with Givi V46 topcase 1.jpg (60.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 Versys with Givi V46 topcase 2.jpg (83.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Oldandslow; 07-22-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Add pics
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 PM

I have a Shad SH40 and like the size and shape, did not want one to large. I choose the shad over the Givi because I like not needing the key to open the box every time only need the key when I want it locked this makes it easy to use. I use the box on my 650 and V1K . Once I had moved the box over in hast to the V1K and did not get it latched on proper and at 95mph it came off to my surprise and saw it going down the road. Went back to pick it up and the box never opened up and no damage other than road rash put it back on made sure it was latched on proper and went on. The box is about 5 years old and is still being used today.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
This won't make me overly popular with top trunk advocates but I've never been a fan of mounting a large box that far aft and that high on the bike. Keeping the weight low and as close to the "triangle" as possible is what I grew up with and I still believe it's a good thing. That's merely my humble opinion.

Maybe it's a weight and balance/mean aerodynamic chord thing held over from USAF days.
I was a F-111 crew chief for eight years, so I understand the W&B issue, and maybe because I pack light, but I’ve never had a top box on any of my bikes that had any noticeable adverse affect on handling. Well, except for the time I filled one with beer and ice. :^)
Alex V Dawn likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
I`m also not a fan of trunks. They look stupid. They are going to affect handling with weight sitting way up there along with them being a wind catch. I bought my LT so to avoid them.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the comments guys. I can’t say that I love the look of the top boxes either, but my fabric saddle bags just don't give me enough volume for odd shapes. Yeah, this week I had to haul an antique wood plane home (about 2' long). I never know what I will be hauling home. I have even considered mounting one of those long milk crates. (very stylish ;-))
How about the fabric top bags, do they offer any benefits?
Thanks again
Randy
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
How about the fabric top bags, do they offer any benefits?
Thanks again
Randy

I have a Rapid Transit tail bag that expands to about 20" tall. It's a great bag and I can bungee it to either a rack or the passenger seat. Although Rapid Transit doesn't make my specific bag anymore they still have a few that are really good.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM

I like having a lockable case on my bike that can hold my helmet, and the V35's do not hold it, so I have a top box. The Kappa K46 works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180706_181535 (Medium).jpg (50.3 KB, 28 views)

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM

If you're not going for a hard top case, RKA makes some great seat and rack bags. I was using this 36L expandable soft bag before I got my Givi V-47: 36 Liter Expandable Rearseat Bag Page

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
Rather than suggest what you should buy perhaps suggesting what you should consider and why would be a better idea.

Top boxes have only one downside and a great number of positive upsides. The downside is raising the center of gravity which makes the bike slightly less fun to ride in sporty situations if you have it attached. The bigger the box and the weight in it the bigger the downside. For that reason you do not want to ride around all the time with a full, heavy, top box unless it is just to get stuff home from the store or work. I have a B33 box which seems appropriate for bike the size of the 650. Very rarely have I wished for a larger and heavier box. I've found I can supplement my get stuff home ability with a 15" x 15" stretch cargo net, suggest always carrying one under your seat for this reason as you'll never know when you'll need it.

Generic and cheap sport size soft bags provide a nice supplement to hold additional stuff for the occasional camping trips to supplement the top box

A top box is reassuring to a passenger on the bike as it adds a back rest and reassurance they are not going to fall off the back of the bike

A top box holds more stuff than hard saddle bags and is easier to load and unload.

Unless they say otherwise a top box will usually hold one FF helmet and gloves. They will also hold additional stuff for a trip home by not latching the top down.

Top boxes are easy to detach with a single click but each "style" listed below requires its own top plate style to fit the box

Brand/top plate choices.......
Givi Monokey - made out of rigid plastic with a richer, nicer feel and look, also more trim, and Givi's top quality choice

Givi Monolock - made out of slightly flexible plastic and Givi's cheaper feeling choice at a cheaper price but equally durable and functional to above

Kapa - see monolock, also made by Givi, alternative brand name for cheap priced Givi stuff

Shad - alternate brand and similar to Givi Monolock

Racks...
The cheapest rack option is the Givi. The most expensive is the SW-Motech. The difference is the SW-Motech weighs considerably less installed as it removes the very heavy grab handles from the bike and replaces them. Remember weight in this area is weight that matters the most as it is up high
txcyclist and Alex V Dawn like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 AM

I'm going to echo twowheels sentiment: Whether you get a top case, and the size of that top case, depends on what/how much you plan to carry. In addition, if you have side cases, and how full they are, you could include that in your size considerations (or whether you get one at all). I use my bike to commute, I hit the gym after work, and sometimes I swing by the grocery store on my way home. With that in mind, I simply transferred the Givi Maxia 52L top case from my former bike to my '17 Versys 650. This top case allows me to comfortably carry all the things, even if I *might* have to wear my laptop backpack after a grocery stop to have enough room for the aforementioned groceries.

FWIW, I have yet to feel any issues with weight or balance using this top case, even when full, and this was after riding the bike with zero luggage for the first couple of weeks.
twowheels likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 AM

@twowheels - well said! I'd also add that lockable topboxes provide some security for valuables (lockable side cases, too)

@txcyclist - Agreed about not feeling the weight. I'm sure there's some impact, but I can't tell ... especially for my highway drone commute. Pop it off and leave it home for a spirited ride in the twisties.
twowheels and txcyclist like this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM

I have a semi-rigid bag which sits on top of the rear seat. It will hold a helmet. It is great for a day ride to carry a little bit of food and drink, spare gloves (if the temp is going to change a lot), and perhaps a small rain suit or waterproof zip out liners. For light weights and small volumes the seat top bag is a really nice option. It looks good and doesn't alter the cg at all.

The V47 Givi top case is super convenient. I never liked the look, but I keep mine on almost all the time. The rack isn't the most sporty looking addition to the bike, but I have my bike for utility not to impress strangers with how it looks. It is far better than the side cases for groceries or just to stash jacket and helmet when parked somewhere. The brake light kit is pretty east to install and it works great. There is a 3rd party lighting kit, a bit more expensive, which incorporates the turn signals too. The Givi box goes on/off the bike extremely easily. I highly recommend it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Mines a refurbed '83/84? Goldwing trunk. I also don't throw it all the way in the back-40 as I don't carry a passenger.
Much more useful shape to put things than the round/oval ones. All the side cases people get for an S10 are ugly rectangle things.
I like the side cases on the Versys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _December 2015 ride S10.jpg (71.4 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode