Had a knee ACL reconstruction surgery, thinking to sell the V - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes
  • 3 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By Arion
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Had a knee ACL reconstruction surgery, thinking to sell the V

Hello guys,

I am an owner of a 2015 Versys 650. I had my 2nd ACL surgery yesterday and now I am scared to get back on the bike once i am recovered.
I have riding experience of 18 years and am confident in my riding skills but honestly ive recently lost faith in cage drivers and am considering selling the bike for good. I tore my ACL back in 2012 playing soccer and then reinjured it again 2 years ago.Yesterday I finally had a revision surgery. Has anyone here had similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM

Haven't had any surgery experience (kow!!!) but after I wrecked a few years ago I was pretty leary of riding again. Yeah...that lasted about a week!

My suggestion is that if you're getting too freaked at the cagers then maybe you should hang it up. But I will add, the biker blood is in you and my guess is more than not you will eventually want to ride again.

Take a break for a while, sell your ride if you want to. The Versys should continue to be in production in the future and you can get a new one when the bug gets to you again!

Keep us posted on what you decide. And I wouldn't count out taking the MSF course again, just to get some fears shaken out.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM

Garage
When I wrecked my knee, I found that a low seat and forward feet were key. Took about a year and a half for the knee to heal; but forward feet are still key, to this day. I settled on an Indian Scout and a Guzzi Jackal. Both low seat with floorboards out front and heel/toe controls. I still have my KLR, and I like that for little trips round town. I put hiway pegs on Sierra, my V650LT... that helps a lot. But when the hurt is new, there's nothing like a low seat to help get your leg over.

Good luck. They heal slow, cause there's just not much blood flow in those tendons.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Garage
I don't know where you live and ride, but here is my change to riding.

I have well over 300,000 miles ridden and have toured the lower 48 and some of Canada.

I have had as many as 8 motorcycles in my stable at one time and have ridden in every weather condition, traffic situation, and terrain imaginable.

Dec 2016 I had a microdisectomy on L5-S1. In March 2017 I developed discitis in the L4-5, and L5-S1 area that put me down hard requiring intravenous antibiotics and going from non weight bearing to walker to cane to limp and months of physical therapy.

At the urging of my wife I tried many sports cars to see if one would give me the same feeling as riding. They were fun, but not the same.

I can ride about 30 miles before needing a short break to walk around before continuing. I went from riding 25,000 miles a year to 2000 over the last 12 months.

I decided that I would reduce my risk by not commuting or touring by bike anymore. I now do local country rides and bought an enclosed trailer to haul bikes to the scenic roads.

I have dropped down to 2 street bikes also. This is where I am for now. I may improve and things change, or I may end up in that convertible one day.

Good luck with your decision. I just can't imagine myself without at least one bike for those occasional rides which is why my two street bikes are as much fun to tinker with and look at as they are to ride.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
Hello guys,

I am an owner of a 2015 Versys 650. I had my 2nd ACL surgery yesterday and now I am scared to get back on the bike once I am recovered.
I have riding experience of 18 years and am confident in my riding skills but honestly, I've recently lost faith in cage drivers and am considering selling the bike for good. I tore my ACL back in 2012 playing soccer and then reinjured it again 2 years ago. Yesterday I finally had a revision surgery. Has anyone here had a similar experience?
Yes, about 6 months ago I had ACL (so bad they had to use a cadaver ACL) and two meniscus tears. After surgery, I was on bed rest for the first few days and then slowly worked my way up to PT twice a week. I thought my riding days were over as I could barely bend my knee and to think about bending and riding for extended periods was daunting. Needless to say, after 6 months of hard PT and my will to feel the wind in my hair again, I am back on the bike and loving every minute of it. My doctor says that my knee is 100% and has released me to full contact sports (like that will ever happen again )!! Your experience and trepidation are valid and only you can decide what is best for you.

2009 Versys 650
A few odds and ends

Last edited by GreenRubi; 07-20-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Garage
I've gone through this before and my advice is to keep your bike for about a year+- even if you don't ride it during that time. You'll have better perspective on riding due to safety reasons and you'll be fully healed.

If re-injury to your ACL is on your mind when you climb back on, you could adjust your safety risks by not riding in town. You are far less likely to encounter situations that could cause accidents in rural areas than in densely populated areas.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM

I had MCL (inside ligament) replaced in the right knee. Riding hasn't been too much of an issue. I make sure I put my good leg down first at lights as I had an issue with the bad knee slipping because of the instability.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hello guys,

I am an owner of a 2015 Versys 650. I had my 2nd ACL surgery yesterday and now I am scared to get back on the bike once i am recovered.
I have riding experience of 18 years and am confident in my riding skills but honestly ive recently lost faith in cage drivers and am considering selling the bike for good. I tore my ACL back in 2012 playing soccer and then reinjured it again 2 years ago.Yesterday I finally had a revision surgery. Has anyone here had similar experience?
My wife had a torn ACL some years ago (skiing, when her girl-friend turned into her leg, tearing it). They tried the arthroscopic surgery on her, but didn't fix it, so they did the surgery where they take (something) from the back of the knee to replace the ACL.

She golfs 18 holes (walking) at least FIVE times a week, walks everywhere, and NEVER even mentions her knees now (probably 15 years after).

Hang in there - I'm sure a complete recovery is possible!

(FWIW - I tore an ACL skiing MANY years ago when I came out of a ski on a 'black diamond' run, then slid backward, downhill, into a large tree that hyper-extended my knee. So far I have just 'lived w/ it', tho' I did NOT ski again for two years.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Hello guys,

have a 2008 versys. fun, bullet proof bike. don't want to give her up, even though i have a 2016 guzzi too. give yourself time. as motorman says, we don't push, pull, walk or carry our bikes, we ride them. small petite women ride 900+lb indians. i saw a small 80ish year old guy with big mama on the back of his goldwing do a u-turn on a busy street in kerrville texas that would make a motorcycle cop blush.

i'm not that old (i think?) but i had bypass surgery emergently in 2014, with post op complications. took a while to recover, but got back on the bike and glad i did. then 2016, blew a disc in by back. bum left leg, so it took a while to recover strength. eventually resumed riding, and glad i did. 13 days ago, blew another disc in my back, had surgery 11 days ago. getting better, but now have a bum RIGHT leg. doing as aggressive rehab as prudence permits, because i like riding, and want to continue ASAP. love riding, wrenching my bike and all the learning that goes with it. when my leg strength comes back, i'll start riding locally, then hopefully get back to touring some again.

riding is certainly physical, and everyone who rides should try to be in decent shape. and you should always work on improving your riding skills too. but i find it more mental that anything else. if you enjoy riding, strengthen that leg and get that bad knee to maximum function. get in optimum physical shape. and unless your knee is permanently UNSTABLE without any recourse (as in, your knee gives out when putting your leg down at a light and you fall over), then get back to riding.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM

I can't address the ACL issue but I had hip replacement surgery almost four years ago and, at my age, I promised the surgeon, my wife, and myself I would follow the physical therapy program to the letter. The most important things the surgeon told me were: 1) No high impact activity to which I was able to reply with an almost straight face, "Do I look like I run?" and 2) do not, under any circumstances over extend your leg or the ball will pop out of the socket and I will hear you scream no matter where you are.

The significance is that it's my left hip and that's connected to the leg I plant when coming to a stop on two wheels. All it takes is a bit of gravel or a wet patch to make things go from OK to bad in a heartbeat. That's happened twice in the past three years but, luckily, I didn't overextend the joint.

I couldn't bring myself to abandon my Versys but I wasn't comfortable riding it long distances any longer. I keep it for afternoon jaunts and day rides and added a Can-Am Spyder RT-S for long distances so I can ride in comfort and don't have to concern myself with slippery road surfaces or having to put a leg down again and again. Some will say that's blasphemy and a Spyder isn't a "real motorcycle" but it allows me to go touring in comfort and keeps the ball in the socket and that makes me happy. I like to think of it as adapting to my circumstances.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-21-2018 at 07:17 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My wife had a torn ACL some years ago (skiing, when her girl-friend turned into her leg, tearing it). They tried the arthroscopic surgery on her, but didn't fix it, so they did the surgery where they take (something) from the back of the knee to replace the ACL.

She golfs 18 holes (walking) at least FIVE times a week, walks everywhere, and NEVER even mentions her knees now (probably 15 years after)....
I forgot to mention that she flew over to Spain to the "Camino" in May, part of the pilgrimage walk along the footsteps of St James.

AGAIN - Hang in there!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hello guys,

Yeah, I had a cadaver graft ACL done about 17 years ago. Took nearly two full years before I could completely bend my knee normally. Years later, I have experienced "tweaks" in my repaired knee. I've not had it checked out because rest eliminated the pain. I'm more careful of moving now, but other than that, I live fairly normally. Now this dang titanium spike driven into my arm bone for a new shoulder is a pain but doesn't keep me from riding. I know if I ever go down onto it again, I'm probably done on two wheels. Hmmmm, CanAm Spyder if necessary? As to your own experience, you are of course the only one to decide your riding future. I for one hope you are able to ride comfortably again some day. We need all of the Versys riders out there we can get, I say. Good luck and I hope the rehab goes well.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
...I know if I ever go down onto it again, I'm probably done on two wheels. Hmmmm, CanAm Spyder if necessary?....
I'm of the same mind - a Spyder IF necessary, but, hopefully, NOT....
GDP RIDER and GreenRubi like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM

My advice is simple. Lose the soccer ball and keep the bike.

There is risk in everything you do. The number one cause of injury of "older" people is falling. I'm 65 and am probably much more likely to fall around the house than fall off my bike.

I plan to keep on riding as long as my old carcus will allow. Retiring to a rocking chair is not in my lexicon.

Don't quit riding my friend.
GreenRubi likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...I'm 65 and am probably much more likely to fall around the house than fall off my bike....
Tim - be VERY careful IF you use a "disc-lock"...!

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Tim - be VERY careful IF you use a "disc-lock"...!

Don't own one. Overnights on the road I just lock the forks and chain the local junk yard dog to the bike. Then install a sign that reads: "Do you feel lucky today?...Well do ya punk?"

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm of the same mind - a Spyder IF necessary, but, hopefully, NOT....
I would do the tiltingmotorworks conversion before I went with a non-leaning trike.

The New Yamaha Niken might be a good compromise.
GDP RIDER likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode