Turn signal not fitting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By dddd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Turn signal not fitting

Greetings all - I had a tip over and my turn signal got pushed in. I got the signal out but I am unable to get it positioned back in the fairing.

I tried squeezing the rubber boot through the opening but could not manage to get enough of it to seat on the fairing.

Is there a technique I’m missing? This is frustrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9718E488-F303-4871-92F7-BDAEA4DC9A05_1531884781778.jpg (6.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2B675364-6261-4107-A73B-0B52F0D07CC9_1531884795368.jpg (7.7 KB, 31 views)

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If I recall, you remove the inner metal plate, it gives the boot some flex needed. then add back the inner plate and then the clamping outer plate (although I highly recommend not using any plates at all; in case of a crsh the turn signal can come off instead of cracking the fairing).

Some dish soap in water may allow the rubber neck to slip easier (but keep your hands and rest of the boot dry)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So it's just a matter of squeezing it in? I was trying not to crack the fairing any further.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well crud! My first recommendation is to replace those front turn signals with small LED signals such as the R&G Racing. They make an adapter plate which fits right into the fairing, so it is a super easy install.

But in the meantime getting your signal back in can be frustrating. With the metal plate out you should be able to coax it into position without too much difficulty. The tough part for me was to get the metal plate back in. Lots of 4 letter words involved in the process.

Good CA glue (Super Glue) will fix the fairing crack. Use a good quality glue from a hobby store or luthier supply, not from the grocery store. Grocery store glue is diluted to avoid lawsuits when people glue their finger to their eyelid.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 PM

just don't put he metal plate back, none of them. seriously.

they hold solid without these clamps, and as I said, it you ever fall on the side, they will just pop without breaking anything
AND I KNOW BY EXPERIENCE, I removed the plate before a later fall and no damage at all.

You may want to fill the opening of the stalk with silicone just to block water better, not that it was waterproof before, but the clamp did protect a bit. Don fill the blinker entirely though, it would interfere with turn signal bulb replacement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
So it's just a matter of squeezing it in? I was trying not to crack the fairing any further.
it is easier if you fit the front edge first, then squeeze the rear and twist back and forth while pushing in.... and tell her you love her while... oh wait... what is this about again?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it in. Plenty of lube and it was all about the angle of attack. I was trying to be real gentle, but at the end I said forget it and just went all in.

Definitely will be getting different turn signals with the spacers and a smaller profile the next time the fairings are off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode