Gaspe Peninsula - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes
  • 8 Post By 17A
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
17A

Gaspe Peninsula

Just returned from a nine day 4266 km tour around the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. Left from Eastern Ontario and rode through NY, VT, N.H. and Maine. Surfaced back into Canada at St Stephen New Brunswick. Followed the coastline East through St John and Moncton, then turned north through the Miramachi up to Cambelton. Took two days to do the Peninsula. Fantastik roads and scenery. Very windy on the north shore. At Matane we turned south and rode through the Matapedia River Valley. That was some of the best riding I have ever done. The Versys ran perfect. Had to adjust the chain slack about mid-ride. Video to follow when I get it uploaded.

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM

Garage
Did you take the ferry to the north side of the St. Lawrence River?

I'm thinking of a ride from Ottawa to Moncton/Shediac through Quebec later this summer or perhaps next summer. Any route suggestions would be most welcome. Wanted to stay off boring 4 lane (auto route 20) as much as possible.

http://www.google.com/maps/@49.01854....5885949,9.75z

Last edited by twowheels; 07-11-2018 at 11:07 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Did you take the ferry to the north side of the St. Lawrence River?

I'm thinking of a ride from Ottawa to Moncton/Shediac through Quebec later this summer or perhaps next summer. Any route suggestions would be most welcome. Wanted to stay off boring 4 lane (auto route 20) as much as possible.

http://www.google.com/maps/@49.01854....5885949,9.75z
I left from Palmer Rapids near Barrys Bay and crossed into the States at Cornwall. Went over the north of Lake Champlain and continued on US Route 2 all the way to Bangor Maine. That is a very nice 2 lane 50 -55 MPH road that passes through many historic towns. Went to Campobello Island to meet my friend and then we crossed back into Canada at St Stephen. Along the Coast to Moncton and then north to the Miramachi and Capbelton. Mostly 4 lane from St Stephen to Moncton but still scenic and nice. Road is in great condition. From Campbelton we went Anti-clockwise to do the Peninsula. Beautiful ride. Stayed in Gaspe 1st night then on to Matane. The Matapedia River Valley is spectacular (Hwy 132) south of Matane back to Campbelton. We then continued south to Woodstock New Brunswick and crossed into the States to Bangor. Then followed Route 2 all the way back to NY and on to Ottawa. Driving anywhere through VT, NY, New Hampshire and Maine is beautiful. You could go south of Lake Champlain into Killington VT and follow route 100 north. Go through Gorham NH and visit Mt Washington etc...perfect tripping. We didn't take the Ferry to the north shore of the St Lawrence.

2018 Versys 650 SE

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Great pics! Love that rock formation out in the middle of the water.

Glad you had a great time!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Spectacular photos. Sounds like a great trip as well. I wonder if Canadian customs officials are still more pleasant than U.S. customs officials. Last time we returned from Campobello to Lubec you would have thought we were trying to smuggle half the island into Maine.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...Any route suggestions would be most welcome. Wanted to stay off boring 4 lane (auto route 20) as much as possible....
You can look at where I rode last summer.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...668-miles.html

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I wonder if Canadian customs officials are still more pleasant than U.S. customs officials. Last time we returned from Campobello to Lubec you would have thought we were trying to smuggle half the island into Maine.
Never had any problems either from Canadian or US Customs. One thing that helped at Campobello Island was that my partner I was riding with lived on the island and knows the customs people very well both at Lubec and Calais. When I was crossing back into Canada at Cornwall the guy really liked my bike and was asking lots of questions about it. I think he will be a potential owner soon.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
17A

Here is our route.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Great pics! Love that rock formation out in the middle of the water.

Glad you had a great time!
That's "Roche Perce´" - kind of the #1 attraction in the Gaspesie (Gaspe).
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode