Handlebar light vibrations and hand mirror vibrations - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Handlebar light vibrations and hand mirror vibrations

Hi guys, i'm opening this 3d because i just want your opinion about one thing.
I noticed that when i'm stop in neutral with engine running (i.e. at the traffic light), if i rise my hand from the handlebar, it has a little vibration. At first i thought that it was normal because of the engine vibrations, but i'm not really sure so i would like to know if it's normal.

Other than that, i noticed that when i'm in 6th gear at about 5000 rpm, the left hand mirror vibrates and i have a "blur" view. But over 5000 rpm the view return to be clear. Is it normal too?
thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All normal.

There's a lot of stuff moving in different directions and vibrations and weighted objects have different sympathetic (look that one up) or forced vibration(s). Hence, you get vibes at one RPM and not at another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration

If you wanna change this you could get some heavier handlebar weights which will likely stop the vibes.

However, if you're gonna do that, spend $150 or so (not sure of exact price) and put a cruise control on your bar ends. they include bar weights and will likely cure the issue as well.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 07-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
All normal.

If you wanna change this you could get some heavier handlebar weights which will likely stop the vibes.

However, if you're gonna do that, spend $150 or so (not sure of exact price) and put a cruise control on your bar ends. they include bar weights and will likely cure the issue as well.
Hi! What kind of cruise control exactly? Anyway the important thing to me was to know if it's normal since i read that other people doesn't have the handlebar vibrations when the bike is standing in neutral. It's not a huge vibrations, but i can see the handlebar which vibrates a little bit. But if it's all normal, i don't worry

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM

We can all put vibration and bikes in perspective based on previous experiences. I have a 2009 Yamaha Vstar that vibrates like those quarter fed 'magic finger' beds (if you have the age) and came from a 94 HD Sporster 1200. My 2016 Versys is sooooo smooth if compared to those two that you won't believe.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
...Anyway the important thing to me was to know if it's normal since i read that other people doesn't have the handlebar vibrations when the bike is standing in neutral....
After a few miles of riding your new Versys, you TOO will NOT notice all these issues that have been concerning to you....

aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
We can all put vibration and bikes in perspective based on previous experiences. I have a 2009 Yamaha Vstar that vibrates like those quarter fed 'magic finger' beds (if you have the age) and came from a 94 HD Sporster 1200. My 2016 Versys is sooooo smooth if compared to those two that you won't believe.
This is my first bike ever so i don't compare it to anyone. I would like to have an opinion on Versys itself, without other comparison which can be misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
After a few miles of riding your new Versys, you TOO will NOT notice all these issues that have been concerning to you....

Probably, but it's difficult to not notice the handlebar vibration when i raise my hands at the traffic light But as i said, i'm just curious and i just wanted to know if it's normal or if i have to bring it to my dealer for a check

Last edited by ryu10; 07-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM

This is normal. All Versys bikes (all motorcycles for that matter except for probably high end 6 cylinder bikes) do this. The degree to which they vibrate varies, but they all vibrate.

My old Yamaha 650 parallel twin used to shed parts like a dog coming out of the water.
Cars in the rear view mirrors were a vague blob, and you had to guess what was coming up at you from the rear. Riding while looking over your shoulder became second nature. Loved that bike.

Trust me, motorcycles have come a LONG way..

re: Throttle cruise controls (if you wanna go that way, you don't have to but it's a wrist saver!)

I use Throttlemeister Cruise Control. Works well.

There are many others out there, including Kaoko Throttle Control and Kuryakyn Throttle control.

Your choice, I can only speak to Throttlemeister since I've used it.

To sum up, vibrations are all completely normal.

Keep us posted.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is normal. All Versys bikes (all motorcycles for that matter except for probably high end 6 cylinder bikes) do this. The degree to which they vibrate varies, but they all vibrate.

My old Yamaha 650 parallel twin used to shed parts like a dog coming out of the water.
Cars in the rear view mirrors were a vague blob, and you had to guess what was coming up at you from the rear. Riding while looking over your shoulder became second nature. Loved that bike.

Trust me, motorcycles have come a LONG way..

re: Throttle cruise controls (if you wanna go that way, you don't have to but it's a wrist saver!)

I use Throttlemeister Cruise Control. Works well.

There are many others out there, including Kaoko Throttle Control and Kuryakyn Throttle control.

Your choice, I can only speak to Throttlemeister since I've used it.

To sum up, vibrations are all completely normal.

Keep us posted.
Thank you a lot for you patience and kindness What about the handlebar vibrations tho? I mean, i asked some people with Versys 650 and they told me that if they raise the hands when the bike is running and stop in neutral, the handlebar is not moving at all
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you a lot for you patience and kindness What about the handlebar vibrations tho? I mean, i asked some people with Versys 650 and they told me that if they raise the hands when the bike is running and stop in neutral, the handlebar is not moving at all
Pffft. This sort of vibration can depend on what angle the front wheel is pointed, what engine RPM the bike is running at, age of the bike, looseness of LOTS parts on the bike between the engine and handlebars, how you the rider are sitting on the bike, the mirror positions, the bike itself, the road surface, the weather conditions, and on and on and on. It's literally impossible to tell you the reasons why some bikes would vibrate the handlebars and others wouldn't.

Don't worry about it. If you're completely freaked out, concentrate on the mirrors and watch what's coming up behind you in case you have to take evasive action.

again: don't worry about it. normal.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 07-11-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Pffft. This sort of vibration can depend on what angle the front wheel is pointed, what engine RPM the bike is running at, age of the bike, looseness of LOTS parts on the bike between the engine and handlebars, the bike itself, the road surface, weather conditions, and on and on and on.

Don't worry about it. If you're completely freaked out, concentrate on the mirrors and watch what's coming up behind you in case you have to take evasive action.

again: don't worry about it. normal.
Well, i tried in different street, with different conditions, the bikes is always at same RPM (idlee speed, 1250/1350 RPM) and it vibrates when the bikes is still, not in movement. I pass a lot of traffic light on my daily route and when i catch the red light, i always insert the neutral and raise my hands of the handlebars and it vibrates a little bit. I'm sure that the parts are tight since i did the first service a week ago. My concern is given by some people that told me that their Versys doesn't vibrates in the same conditions. I can't explain that
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well, i tried in different street, with different conditions, the bikes is always at same RPM (idlee speed, 1250/1350 RPM) and it vibrates when the bikes is still, not in movement. I pass a lot of traffic light on my daily route and when i catch the red light, i always insert the neutral and raise my hands of the handlebars and it vibrates a little bit. I'm sure that the parts are tight since i did the first service a week ago. My concern is given by some people that told me that their Versys doesn't vibrates in the same conditions. I can't explain that
Since you and I have also chatted in PM about this, and since I also said my handlebars don't vibrate, let me chime in.

As others have noted, *all* bikes vibrate to some degree. All of us who have chimed in have owned other bikes and have noted the Versys 650 is silky smooth by comparison. The last part is important. You've said this is your first bike, so you have no comparison and feel/notice any vibration. The truth is, all motorcycles vibrate. It's completely normal. Chances are, none of us notice whatever vibration you're seeing, because we have that comparison. Your idle speed looks fine at 1250/1350. Nothing's buzzing. No parts are falling off. If you neither see nor feel a vibration when you're in neutral and your hands are just resting on the grips, it's not an issue. Your hands just resting on the grips are not heavy enough to suppress any vibration that would be a problem. I seriously believe your bike is just fine.

Last edited by txcyclist; 07-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Vibration is a cool part of the experience. Riding those steel horses comes down to balancing our skeletons on top of small but powerful engines. We're exposed to many elements out there: wind, temperature, noise, vibration, traffic struggle and fumes. That's what differentiates us from 4-wheeled cagers. After a long time I came to learn it's all part of this way of life or hobby we chose.

That being said, we can certainly reduce the way those elements affect us and make the ride more comfortable. In the end, it's all about compromise as someone told me long ago. You can't have it all in just one bike. Every motorcycle has its character and most of us here possibly agree the Versys is one of the best out there for its price tag and versatility. I changed my windshield so many times it started a joke with my friend riders. Well, it will never be a Goldwing, BMW GS or Hayabusa. It was never intended to. Peace & Love, be safe out there and enjoy the ride.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
Since you and I have also chatted in PM about this, and since I also said my handlebars don't vibrate, let me chime in.

As others have noted, *all* bikes vibrate to some degree. All of us who have chimed in have owned other bikes and have noted the Versys 650 is silky smooth by comparison. The last part is important. You've said this is your first bike, so you have no comparison and feel/notice any vibration. The truth is, all motorcycles vibrate. It's completely normal. Chances are, none of us notice whatever vibration you're seeing, because we have that comparison. Your idle speed looks fine at 1250/1350. Nothing's buzzing. No parts are falling off. If you neither see nor feel a vibration when you're in neutral and your hands are just resting on the grips, it's not an issue. Your hands just resting on the grips are not heavy enough to suppress any vibration that would be a problem. I seriously believe your bike is just fine.
You are welcome, always! And you are absolutely right! But in this case (and I refer to the handlebars vibrations) even if I don't have a comparison with previously bikes, I literally see with my eyes the handlebars vibrates a little bit when I raise my hands. If I keep my hands on the handlebars I'm just fine and I feel only the fisiological vibrations of the engine (which I like, by the way!) so, since you and other people told me that you don't see any vibrations, the thing that I wanted to understand is if it's natural that the handlebars vibrates in that condition (engine running, neutral gear, no hand on handlebars)..obviously is a light vibration, but there is. Just to understand if it's normal or if I have to check the bike from my dealer next time I will bring it to him.
And thanks a lot for your availability and patience, I appreciate it a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Vibration is a cool part of the experience. Riding those steel horses comes down to balancing our skeletons on top of small but powerful engines. We're exposed to many elements out there: wind, temperature, noise, vibration, traffic struggle and fumes. That's what differentiates us from 4-wheeled cagers. After a long time I came to learn it's all part of this way of life or hobby we chose.

That being said, we can certainly reduce the way those elements affect us and make the ride more comfortable. In the end, it's all about compromise as someone told me long ago. You can't have it all in just one bike. Every motorcycle has its character and most of us here possibly agree the Versys is one of the best out there for its price tag and versatility. I changed my windshield so many times it started a joke with my friend riders. Well, it will never be a Goldwing, BMW GS or Hayabusa. It was never intended to. Peace & Love, be safe out there and enjoy the ride.
In this case I'm talking about the handlebar vibrations, the hand mirror isn't a problem since it's doesn't bother me and I know that it's normal considering how it's our engine
Enjoy the ride you too and be safe!

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
This will have no effect at idle, but I found that a slight adjustment of the rebound screw on front forks significantly reduced my vibration problems on the road. It wasn't more than a quarter to half turn with a screw driver.

Randy
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
This will have no effect at idle, but I found that a slight adjustment of the rebound screw on front forks significantly reduced my vibration problems on the road. It wasn't more than a quarter to half turn with a screw driver.

Randy
But the vibration at idle speed is normal? Or is the handlebars not supposed to vibrate, even if a little bit?
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
ryu10 - you've had QUITE a few members tell you that you don't have a problem.

Why not just RIDE your Versys and enjoy it?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ryu10 - you've had QUITE a few members tell you that you don't have a problem.

Why not just RIDE your Versys and enjoy it?
You right, but I didn't understood if they were talking about hand mirror or handlebars. Since there are some colleagues with the versys that told me they handlebars doesn't vibrates at all when they are in neutral with running engine, I wanted to see clearly about this matter. That's all, sorry if I make a boring and stupid question, it didn't was my intention

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 AM

Ask to ride your friends Versys to compare , or better still if you have friends that have a HD ride that , you will be be a happy man when you get back on your Versys
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptoes View Post
Ask to ride your friends Versys to compare , or better still if you have friends that have a HD ride that , you will be be a happy man when you get back on your Versys
Unfortunely i don't have any regular friends with Versys
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I did a short video, if you look carefully you will see the little vibrations I'm talking about (look at the hand mirrors too)

https://streamable.com/epi45

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode