• 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 3 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By RealBigTuna
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59
  • 3 Post By mrvwbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Insane Drivers Today

Being a semi fossilized old guy I have lived quite a few years on the planet. I can remember when nobody locked their front door and left the keys in their cars. Our society was mostly honest and polite. These qualities could also be experienced while on the road on your bike or in your car. You yielded the right away, respected others, and most importantly exercised polite and safe driving practices.

Boy howdy have times changed. Dead bolted doors, bars over the windows, multiple alarm systems, but the one that really disturbs me is the way folks drive today. Venture out on the local roads during morning or evening rush and it's like someone dropped the flag and the race is on. Darn near like last weeks Nascar race finish. Banging, bumping, wreaking, doing just about anything short of pulling out a gun, to get to the finish line first.

I got to experience a bout of this yesterday. Took a lunch ride up to my favorite burger spot in the Sierra's. It's about 25 miles of delightful twisty roads in the foot hills. Normally during the week there is not much traffic.

Tooling along at a moderate clip I come up upon a slow pickup towing a trailer with one compact car following close behind. Being very familiar with the road I knew all the good passing spots. On one of the short straits I hit the gas in 4th gear and proceeded to make a pass. As I got along side the car the driver layed on the horn and hit the gas. Now I am stuck just in front of the car and in the opposite lane. Here comes an opposite direction car and this idiot in the car won't let me back in the lane. I just managed to squeeze between the front fender of the idiot and the oncoming car. All the while the idiot is still on the horn. I finally got in behind the truck with the idiot glued to my back wheel until I got to the next strait to complete the pass. This is not the first time this has happened to me.

Fortunately I kept my cool, hit the gas and drove away from the idiot. 30 years ago it would have been a very different end to the story. Someone may have lost some teeth.

Would imagine many of you all have some stories like this?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 AM

its attempted murder as far as i'm concerned, happened to an american biker on holiday here in Galway ,Ireland. the bike rider got off with a broken leg and skin grafts the car drivers both disappeared in either direction.
Just goes to show the same mentality exists both sides of the pond!
The Pike Man
tommyvous59 and hawkerjet like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Yes, civility is dead and what you experienced seems to be the new normal. I do think though that we tend to remember the bad experience very well and forget all the nice people we interacted with during the day. That's just human nature and indeed the number of angry and frustrated people seems to be increasing - especially on the roads. Glad you are OK.
tommyvous59 and hawkerjet like this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

I'm a lucky duck. I have the ability to work wherever electricity and internet access are available. So I chose to live in an area of Texas where not a lot of people live......yet. This is no exaggeration: I can routinely ride for 5-10 minutes at a time and never see another vehicle, much less another motorcycle. With lots of shade depending on the time of day. Yes, this is a rural area with lots of managed forests. It's an area in a state that's not overwhelmed by decent riding roads, but there are some nice roads here. And very few others ride them. Too far for most DFW riders, and most riders I see are on Harleys on the bigger straighter roads. Not the roads where I roam. So encountering motorists is not as bad as some areas where drivers are a lot nastier than the folks in the Piney Woods. Plus Arkansas and its wonderful roads are a few hours away. Y'all please stay safe out there.
crosshairs and hawkerjet like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...I just managed to squeeze between the front fender of the idiot and the oncoming car. All the while the idiot is still on the horn. I finally got in behind the truck with the idiot glued to my back wheel until I got to the next strait to complete the pass. This is not the first time this has happened to me.

Fortunately I kept my cool, hit the gas and drove away from the idiot. 30 years ago it would have been a very different end to the story. Someone may have lost some teeth.

I have to wonder WHY some people act as if you're "taking something from THEM", when you pass them...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Garage
That a typical ride to anywhere out here....
hawkerjet likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have to wonder WHY some people act as if you're "taking something from THEM", when you pass them...?
I think our culture has devolved to the point where lots of folks have this mind set of entitlement. I "own the road and how dare you pull in front of me. Do you know who I am????"

Unfortunately this mind set has found it's way to our highways and byways.
ThunderBlue and tommyvous59 like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Haaaa, the love for bikers. Lot's of fun and stories being on two wheels....Most recent was trying to split lane (yeah, in Chicago and it's illegal here). I was just trying to cut in front of 5 cars riding very slow due to some construction site. One driver threw his cigar butt on me as I passed. Thankfully I was riding with my jacket otherwise it would have burned my forearm. I kept my cool and drove away too.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Haaaa, the love for bikers. Lot's of fun and stories being on two wheels....Most recent was trying to split lane (yeah, in Chicago and it's illegal here). I was just trying to cut in front of 5 cars riding very slow due to some construction site. One driver threw his cigar butt on me as I passed. Thankfully I was riding with my jacket otherwise it would have burned my forearm. I kept my cool and drove away too.
Perhaps if you had a Cubs decal on your helmet they would leave you alone...just saying! Lol.
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I think our culture has devolved to the point where lots of folks have this mind set of entitlement. I "own the road and how dare you pull in front of me. Do you know who I am????"

Unfortunately this mind set has found it's way to our highways and byways.
Back 20 years ago when I moved to Utah I was impressed with how polite the drivers were. When you signaled a lane change people would let you in, and they'd even slow a bit to make room if needed. When a traffic light turned red people would leave room for you to pull out of a parking lot in front of them.

Now if you dare signal a lane change people will intentionally speed up to block you! I spoke with a coworker about this and she had some explanation about why she did it, which was that if people can't plan their lane ahead of time, they deserve to be harassed about it! And the red light traffic will look you in the eye and stop right in front of you so you can't get out of the parking lot.

All those darned Californians moving here? Maybe it is just too high a population density in the valley now.
tommyvous59 likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
All those darned Californians moving here? Maybe it is just too high a population density in the valley now.
Probably both. Communist Californians for sure combined with a spirit of meanness that sadly has descended, or rather ascended out of hell, upon our nation.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Being a semi fossilized old guy I have lived quite a few years on the planet. I can remember when nobody locked their front door and left the keys in their cars. Our society was mostly honest and polite. These qualities could also be experienced while on the road on your bike or in your car. You yielded the right away, respected others, and most importantly exercised polite and safe driving practices.

Boy howdy have times changed. Dead bolted doors, bars over the windows, multiple alarm systems, but the one that really disturbs me is the way folks drive today. Venture out on the local roads during morning or evening rush and it's like someone dropped the flag and the race is on. Darn near like last weeks Nascar race finish. Banging, bumping, wreaking, doing just about anything short of pulling out a gun, to get to the finish line first.

I got to experience a bout of this yesterday. Took a lunch ride up to my favorite burger spot in the Sierra's. It's about 25 miles of delightful twisty roads in the foot hills. Normally during the week there is not much traffic.

Tooling along at a moderate clip I come up upon a slow pickup towing a trailer with one compact car following close behind. Being very familiar with the road I knew all the good passing spots. On one of the short straits I hit the gas in 4th gear and proceeded to make a pass. As I got along side the car the driver layed on the horn and hit the gas. Now I am stuck just in front of the car and in the opposite lane. Here comes an opposite direction car and this idiot in the car won't let me back in the lane. I just managed to squeeze between the front fender of the idiot and the oncoming car. All the while the idiot is still on the horn. I finally got in behind the truck with the idiot glued to my back wheel until I got to the next strait to complete the pass. This is not the first time this has happened to me.

That is a scary situation and very negligent on the drivers behalf. Good on you for keeping your cool!

Last edited by Raspadoo; 07-14-2018 at 02:31 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
I'm in Chi too. I know how it goes. As you said, lane splitting is illegal in IL. However, its damn near impossible to restrain yourself when its 95 degrees, humid, and you're stuck on 90 or 55 heading into (or leaving) the city.

Drivers get pissed when you lane split though, so on top of getting a ticket, you risk the wrath of everyone around you.

I've had friends tell me it pisses them off when they see a biker cruising through gaps in traffic. I guess they are just jealous or feel slighted by the fact you can fit through and get where you are going more efficiently (they wish they could do the same).
Jay_Chicago likes this.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Garage
Filtering It's The Best..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:

scary, but common. basically attempted vehicular homicide. in south texas, people still are more careful around motorcycles. but if you're in a car, it's par for the course. they give no quarter. i don't get it, you're doing NOTHING to anyone by safely, legally passing. there should be no offense.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBigTuna View Post
I'm in Chi too. I know how it goes. As you said, lane splitting is illegal in IL. However, its damn near impossible to restrain yourself when its 95 degrees, humid, and you're stuck on 90 or 55 heading into (or leaving) the city.

Drivers get pissed when you lane split though, so on top of getting a ticket, you risk the wrath of everyone around you.

I've had friends tell me it pisses them off when they see a biker cruising through gaps in traffic. I guess they are just jealous or feel slighted by the fact you can fit through and get where you are going more efficiently (they wish they could do the same).
it can get dangerous at 100 degrees on a motorcycle, stationary in traffic. in leduc alberta, there was an unfortunate motorcycle wreck, traffic pilled up, not moving, and yes, over 100 degrees. a lot of bikers, all looking at each other until critical mass, finally every biker broke out, started filtering, and saved a lot of guys from falling off their bikes with heat stroke. i was about to die with the heat of the surrounding cars. but police did nothing to stop us, thank God. btw, the biker fortunately walked away from the wreck.

I've heard of confrontations here in texas on the ferry system when bikers go to the front of the line, which used to be the norm. the bikes were loaded on the very front and rear where cars don't fit. it makes no difference on whether a car gets on or not, but the cars get pissed.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
That a typical ride to anywhere out here....
Same here.

People absolutely go bonkers if you pass them in a canyon here. It's usually the assholes in the jacked up diesel pickups that are the worst offenders. A lot of Harley riders take offense if you pass them when they are holding up the car traffic in a canyon around here as well (not my fault you're going 20 under the speed limit on your geezer glide with a line of cars behind you).
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Think I would title it LSS...Lane Splitting Specialist. Lol.

Nicely done young man.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode