GPS and Speedometer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
GPS and Speedometer

Finally did a speedometer check with a phone app GPS . At lower speeds speedometer was 3mph fast,medium speeds 4 mph fast, and higher speeds around 70 mph it was 5 mph fast. This did not surprise me , but I was curious to see what the difference was going to be. This is on my 2017 Versys 650 LT by the way. I am going to do the same test on my 2014 Corolla when I get a chance. On the car when I`ve gone by those roadside speed testers the car speedometer has been at 2 mph faster than the tester showed. Makes me wonder why they can`t make more accurate speedometers.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
I've alway had my GPS mounted above my speedometer and have the GPS set to show the speed I'm going. They are not that far off but i like to know exactly the speed I'm going...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Garage
I have a Garmin watch for running and I've tested the GPS against my speedo. At 70mph on the speedo, GPS says 67. To me that's close enough. From what I've ready, 10% variation is considered "close enough" to the manufacturers. But yeah, with today's technology, why aren't they exact?

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Finally did a speedometer check with a phone app GPS . At lower speeds speedometer was 3mph fast,medium speeds 4 mph fast, and higher speeds around 70 mph it was 5 mph fast. This did not surprise me , but I was curious to see what the difference was going to be. This is on my 2017 Versys 650 LT by the way. I am going to do the same test on my 2014 Corolla when I get a chance. On the car when I`ve gone by those roadside speed testers the car speedometer has been at 2 mph faster than the tester showed. Makes me wonder why they can`t make more accurate speedometers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I have a Garmin watch for running and I've tested the GPS against my speedo. At 70mph on the speedo, GPS says 67. To me that's close enough. From what I've ready, 10% variation is considered "close enough" to the manufacturers. But yeah, with today's technology, why aren't they exact?

they can never be exact because of variations in the entire system that comprises a vehicle. They have to make sure they are never showing slower than you are actually going or you would speed up, get a ticket and sue the manufacturer.

Your commercial GPS is not exact either. They are getting much better than they were 25 years ago though. It is calculating change in position over time. Depending on the algorithms they employ they can get more accurate over time, but did you ever notice that the speed on the GPS will actually lag the speedometer when you accelerate quickly?

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:18 AM

Changed to a 44T Rear sprocket, with a new Dunlop RS3 rear tire my speedo is now right on with the gps, 70 mph=70mph. I suspect it will change slightly as the tire wears as the circumference gets smaller.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
My 2015 V is very similar to the OP's experience. Mine seems to hold at 4 mph fast above 55-60 or so. If one can judge by roadside radars, my app is about 100% accurate. And I have ridden past lots of LEO's with the speedometer showing 4+ MPH faster than the speed limits and so far so good. That big green number display on my app helps me keep the speed reined in since it's so big and easy to notice. FWIW.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Accurate is nice but I wonder how many speeding tickets have been avoided due to the speedo error.

Speedo shows 75 (actual speed is 72) in a 65 zone. Troopers ray gun paints you at 72 which is a couple of mph below his threshold where the black book comes out.

For me (speedie gonzales) I like the cushion to help keep me out of trouble.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Crappy speedometers have been around since I started riding in 1970. They used to routinely be high by 10%.

They're better now, but understand that the speedo readings are usually a 'yeah, you're somewhere in the neighborhood of the indicated speed, but no, it's not exact.'

I usually figure it's more or less 5% high and ride accordingly. So far, no tickets...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mk-3 650 abs

With the original Dunlops it was within 2 KM/HR as the tire wore the difference increased, with the PR-4 it is off by about 7KM/HR at 120 KM/HR , that is it reads high, since I always have my GPS on the bike, if I am entering a possible speed trap, I check my GPS.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Checked with a GPS unit and a phone GPS, various roadside warning radar check things. Always seems to be 2mph slower than what is indicated on my 2011.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I put a NEW Shinko E705 rear tire, 150/70x17 on a few weeks ago (stock gearing - sprockets). MY GPS and speedo AGREE w/in 1 km/hr, which is .62 mph!

I can't remember what the diff was w/ the old, worn E705 on.

The odo? CLOSE enough for government work.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in