70 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I turn 70 on the 8th. Riding Sierra across the country to celebrate. Kind of a farewell tour. Set out at dawn. So far, bout all I've accomplished is, I got a start on my motorcycle tan:

That's where your arm turns mahogany, & all dry & scruffy from hot wind, but the backs of your fingertips are pale cause they're hidden from the sun cause they're curled round your grips.

Sierra so far is sweet, neat, and fleet of foot.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:54 PM

Long sleeves will do the trick mate.

Cheers.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 AM

I always ride with a mesh jacket in the summer.

Keep the photos comming from that trip and hope is not a farewell trip. Do you consider a easier to hop on bike, like the vulcan?

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:47 AM

Garage
Cover up and that won't happen. You will be more comfortable as well.

I know guys in their mid 70s still riding around the country.

Have fun!
crosshairs likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Garage
I turned 70 last year and plan to keep at it as long as my body will allow it.

I used to do a lot of long distance riding across the US, in all kinds of weather. Hot, cold, raining, windy, it didn't matter as long as I had the right equipment and dressed appropriately. Due to health issues, I can no longer ride in hot or gusty windy weather. My riding season is now late October to early May. I still manage plenty of miles during the cooler weather but i sure miss those transcontinental runs. Nothing like it. Long distance riding is addictive, no matter what you're riding.

Some have mentioned their mode of dress for hot weather. Here's an excellent article on the subject from the Iron Butt Association. You can be sure they know what they are talking about. I've always followed their guidelines and have managed to stay safe and free from heat related problems during my travels.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_hot.pdf

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 07-01-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 AM

It takes a lot to impress me. You guys riding in your seventies does it. Have a safe trip! Looking forward to reading about it!

Last edited by Jsmith58; 07-01-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith58 View Post
It takes a lot to impress me. You guys riding in your seventies does it. Have a safe trip! Looking forward to reading about it!
I retired on 30th April, 15 years ago (at 60), and I've ridden OVER 220,000 miles [354,055 kms] since then. That includes SIX rides to Alaska [three were to Dawson for D2D in '13, '15 and '16] on a Suzuki Bandit 1200S, KLR650, and both Gen 1 and Gen 3 V650s, as well as a cross-Canada ride last summer, over 25 days.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I retired on 30th April, 15 years ago (at 60), and I've ridden OVER 220,000 miles [354,055 kms] since then. That includes SIX rides to Alaska [three were to Dawson for D2D in '13, '15 and '16] on a Suzuki Bandit 1200S, KLR650, and both Gen 1 and Gen 3 V650s, as well as a cross-Canada ride last summer, over 25 days.

My main riding buddy is 71...he is obviously retired ...we ride every weekend and have have done 2 ~3000 mile week long trips in the last 6 months...the only thing stopping us from doing more is me..Im much younger and still work....but this guy is as ready to go as any 30 something I have ever net...maybe even more so.... we do 500 mile days and he has nary a complaint.... Im hoping im still able to do that when Im in my 70's....

one thing he cant do is pick up his bike if it drops...I often think thats the only reason he takes me along..

2016 green V1K
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Squares

Old Pythagoras founded a religion, the main tenets of which were abstention from beans, metempsychosis, and the notion that God speaks to us through numbers. Here two and a half millennia later, beans are worth the toots to eat, rebirth is a quaint artifact from the land of computer tech support, but an unshakable religious faith in numbers is universal.

Take squares, for instance. Not the old game show. But square functions. Like force = mass x speed squared. That's why I'm good at 75 mph hour after hour but at 88 my neck gets tired of holding my helmet against the wind. 75x75 = 5625 while 88x88 = 7744. Just that 15 mph more is about half more strain on your neck. I could make way better time if it wasn't for this square schidt.

On the other hand, there are times the squares do you wonders. For example, one place to put your feet calcs out 1 x 1 = 1, but two places calcs out at 2 x 2 = 4, which explains why a pair of hiway pegs make your bike exactly four times as wonderful on a long ride.

It's the non math squares which never work out. Like today, crosing Kentucky, I see one sign after another announcing whiskey distilleries. All closed. Alas, it's a state riddled with dry counties and archaic laws, and this is a Sunday morning.

Here in Saint Louis tonight I trust I can find an adult beverage. Think I'll go out now and try.
Morgan2112 likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
I am 71 and if I am going to ride for more than 30 minutes, my mesh jacket and pants go on. That sun is even more dangerous for us older guys. Also remember your eyes, keep them shaded as much as possible.

Randy
quexpress likes this.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith58 View Post

<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/yeahsmile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Yeah Smile" >:-)</a>

<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/exactly.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Exactly" >:-)</a>
Impressive!
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
MOh stop it. For heaven's sake. The older you get the less you have to lose. That's math too. I can prove it on my pocket calc.. I don't want to hear one more word about sleeves or mesh or shading your eyes. Chillax.

Safety Third.

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:

That is REALLY impressive! I don't believe I've ridden that far since I started but I've still enjoyed my rides and adventures. Oh, I almost forgot to ask, does your very understanding wife still know what you look like? Can she still recognize you on sight?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 PM

62 later this year. It has to get extremely hot to not wear my mesh jacket. The "back protector" does have to stay home when we get the 85F wet-bulb days, which happens regularly in Ark-La-Tex area I ride. It seems that the mesh keeps the sun from boring in quite so much but still lets the air take the sweat away. Stop and go traffic stinks even worse this time of year. I try to make extra stops to intentionally hydrate. Even mild dehydration can make us older folks get a little woozy quicker than when we were young.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage

post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:

You are my hero Eddie. Man that is some serious seat time.

Going from 2 wings to 2 wheels and never missed a beat is quite a feat.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
MOh stop it. For heaven's sake. The older you get the less you have to lose. That's math too. I can prove it on my pocket calc.. I don't want to hear one more word about sleeves or mesh or shading your eyes....
OK - here's MORE than 'one more word about sleeves or mesh or shading your eyes' - when you get TOO hot in your mesh, pour some water down the front and back for cooling; DON'T remove your 'removeable' sleeves, EVER, while riding; and ALWAYS wear 'transition' glasses, OR sunglasses...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Oh, I almost forgot to ask, does your very understanding wife still know what you look like? Can she still recognize you on sight?
Arion - I keep her on a 'pretty SHORT leash'.... [SURE hope she doesn't read THIS!]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
MOh stop it. For heaven's sake. The older you get the less you have to lose. That's math too. I can prove it on my pocket calc.. I don't want to hear one more word about sleeves or mesh or shading your eyes. Chillax.

Safety Third.
Why the helmet? Did you draw the line somewhere? Why not shed the shirt while riding and get an all over tan?

When I was 19 living in Daytona Beach I would ride the 4 miles to the beach in swim trunks and flip flops. I'm older and wiser now, but would never tell someone that the have to adhere to my way of thinking. I just might not chose to ride with someone who doesn't wear gear because I don't want to have to witness the aftermath of even a minor spill. That is my choice as well.
quexpress likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM

jeeze, ya got me beat age-wise. Keep riding!!!!
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Holy men and sages across the ages report that wisdom only comes in solitude and silence. We don't do either. Instead we constantly surround ourselves with racket and join crowds. So I am enjoying just thinking for hour after hour on this ride. Brought ear buds but looks unlikely that I will use them. Today ruminated political quandaries which I cannot report here due to politicophobia that rules the roost. Other than to observe how frequently, in human affairs, diametrically opposite views are equally true in the same time and place. Which doesn't at all imply that compromise is any solution. First, there is no truth in compromise. Second, there is no such thing as compromise. Third, no tug of war gets won by the guy who tied a flag to the center of the rope, but only by the fatass who chose an end.

Instead, let me share this farkling tip...
If you intend to install a center stand, do that first, and use it, before installing a thermometer on your dash...

... or the usb port for that matter.

It's hot. So hot my oil is thin, so that Sierra slightly rattled at idle in the afternoon.

First time I've seen unadulterated gasoline at the pump. The irony is I'm in Kansas, where that corn gets grown.

530 miles today. 580 tomorrow. The key is to start just before dawn, and be done before the worst.
Turk and Doug Just Doug like this.

Last edited by webmost; 07-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode