2018 Versys 650 LT - Favorites & Fails - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 Versys 650 LT - Favorites & Fails

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

He was having a hard time coming up with the fails
weljo2001 and Gangles like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Knew it was just a matter of time!

If it were possible to put an MT07 engine in the V650 frame they would have a gem of a motorcycle.... Not that it isnt a gem as is, of course!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangles View Post
Knew it was just a matter of time!

If it were possible to put an MT07 engine in the V650 frame they would have a gem of a motorcycle.... Not that it isnt a gem as is, of course!
You know I never thought of that-it would be a nice bike with that engine in it- just that extra low end punch-but it's pretty good as it is now-to me the bike now would a lot better if it had a Suzuki transmission in it-nothing shifted better than my DL650 or my DL1000 for that matter

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
You know I never thought of that-it would be a nice bike with that engine in it- just that extra low end punch-but it's pretty good as it is now-to me the bike now would a lot better if it had a Suzuki transmission in it-nothing shifted better than my DL650 or my DL1000 for that matter
Yamaha makes a V650 competitor in the Tracer 700, but nearly every review has said that the Versys has a much better chassis and suspension than the Tracer, but the Tracer has a better motor. I do agree that a V650 with the MT-07 motor would be just about perfect. Kawi should seriously consider going to a 270 degree crank on their twin, it is so much nicer than the 180 degree crank in both sound and smoothness.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Yea the O'l V650 motor is a bit dated and the tranny is kinda klunky like a Harley but.... cruising on a favorite mountain road, rolling thru multiple turns, revs in the 6 to 8k range where it is buttery smooth, all systems in total harmony and the bike feels like an extension of my soul...times like these the little V is just about perfect.

This is why I call it my "giggle bike." Cuz she makes me feel like a kid in a candy store with a smile as wide as Texas.
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Yea the O'l V650 motor is a bit dated and the tranny is kinda klunky like a Harley but.... cruising on a favorite mountain road, rolling thru multiple turns, revs in the 6 to 8k range where it is buttery smooth, all systems in total harmony and the bike feels like an extension of my soul...times like these the little V is just about perfect.

This is why I call it my "giggle bike." Cuz she makes me feel like a kid in a candy store with a smile as wide as Texas.
I don't like the sound of that. I don't have a V650 yet, but I was hoping to get the shifting down smoother on my next bike.
Most every smaller displacement bike I have ridden had much better, smoother shifting.
Are you saying the V650 doesn't!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE50 View Post
I don't like the sound of that. I don't have a V650 yet, but I was hoping to get the shifting down smoother on my next bike.
Most every smaller displacement bike I have ridden had much better, smoother shifting.
The trans makes a distinct clunk when shifting. I shifts smoothly but does make some noise.

I ride with earplugs most of the time so I seldom hear it. The most noticeable time is going from neutral to 1st when you first launch.

Deal killer?...not a chance. More noticeable than other bikes I have owned, yes.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM

This bike really needs a factory centerstand, the fuel gauge is annoying and I wouldn't mind a few more hp, otherwise it's just peachy. I don't have any issues with my transmission and think it's responsive and positive... in no way would I compare it to a Harley transmission, it's not even close from my experiences.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The 650LT (mine anyway) has one of the best shifting trannys that I've had (my history goes back to 1970 or so.) Playing tunes on the gearbox is easy and falls to hand (or foot I guess) pretty nicely.

That said, low RPM is a bit of a challenge, but the rider has to understand that the 650 is not meant as a stump puller like my old KLR was (one of the most endearing traits of the KLR,) the RPMs have to stay above 3500-4000 for the transmission to smooth out. 'Smooth out' is a relative term, it means another 1/2 ounce of pressure is needed to nudge the next gear into place. It is NOT a condemnation of the transmission or the shifting. I maintain that the transmission at lower engine speeds still beats the heck out of almost everything I've ridden in my motorcycling career (except my ZX14, but that's another story entirely.)

note: this is just MY experience as a rider, on MY bike. Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 06-28-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
This bike really needs a factory centerstand, the fuel gauge is annoying and I wouldn't mind a few more hp, otherwise it's just peachy. I don't have any issues with my transmission and think it's responsive and positive... in no way would I compare it to a Harley transmission, it's not even close from my experiences.
My mention of HD was a bit tongue in cheek. I'm sure the V shifts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smoother than a Hog Glidder.

Harley's make that LOUD clunk when selecting 1st gear, that you can hear 2 blocks away. Selecting 1st on my Versys makes me think of a Hog Leg Ferguson but is no where as loud and clunky.
Turk likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Having had a Harley before, my Versys shifts like butter in comparison. I've had many bikes before and each one has it's own different feel when it comes to the rider adjusting to how the bike "likes" to be shifted. If you lug the Versys, you will notice the clunk in the lower gears. If you ride in the bikes "happy rev space", it clicks through the gears beautifully.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Having had a Harley before, my Versys shifts like butter in comparison. I've had many bikes before and each one has it's own different feel when it comes to the rider adjusting to how the bike "likes" to be shifted. If you lug the Versys, you will notice the clunk in the lower gears. If you ride in the bikes "happy rev space", it clicks through the gears beautifully.
Well said Bob.

U any relation to the other Buffalo man...Bill?

Cheers.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
.... cruising on a favorite mountain road, rolling thru multiple turns, revs in the 6 to 8k range where it is buttery smooth, all systems in total harmony and the bike feels like an extension of my soul...times like these the little V is just about perfect....
Riding my Vs in similar conditions, reminds me of doing a solo mission in a T-33, a LOW-LEVEL solo mission.

Quote:
...Most every smaller displacement bike I have ridden had much better, smoother shifting.
I notice a "clunk" going into 1st, but MOSTLY I shift w/out using the clutch, and MINE are both 'smooth-as-silk'!

Buffalo_Bob and hawkerjet like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Well said Bob.

U any relation to the other Buffalo man...Bill?

Cheers.
I picked up that nickname about 35 years ago when a co- worker noted when we had a difficult customer, they would come find me and I was able to "buffalo" my way with customers. I could get a difficult customer to leave with a smile on their face. I was the service manager at a Harley shop when AMF Harley's were really a piece of crap, so we frequently had pissed off customers.

Most of our customers had "Harley names" back then, so they all started calling me Buffalo Bob.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 AM

As to the shifting characteristics mentioned earlier, I have found that shifting gears at a modest pace can result in a clunk into the next gear upshifting or downshifting on my 2015. Not a big deal, just there. If I am accelerating quickly through the gears, then clutchless upshifts are butter as are shifts using the clutch. It seems to clunk when shifting in a more pedestrian manner. And if the oil is cold, it will give a near Harley clunk that first shift into first gear. I have two other bikes that shift more smoothly at all times, not just during enthusiastic riding. And one of them never jumps a bit when cold and going into first gear. I use the same oil in all three, so they react differently to the same oil. I've ridden other bikes with the same Kawasaki powertrain and they shifted the same way. FWIW
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Holy hell, yes on the fuel gauge. I filled up on Monday morning. The gauge "E" had been flashing, and the trip meter was showing about 39 miles left. I figured I had about a gallon left, and am not yet sure how quickly the trip meter starts to fall after the flashing E starts (and it had been going a while). Since I had an appointment after work, with no time to gas up if the trip meter fell really low really quickly, I turned in to fuel up. It took only 2.6 gallons. I currently have about 50 miles on this tank, and the gauge is showing half full. Unless my eyes deceived me when I looked in the tank after seeing 2.6 gallons, I am sure I filled it completely. The bulk of my riding is a relatively short commute on surface streets and in a bit of traffic. I know that mucks up my gas mileage, but this gauge just can't be right!
Turk and mc8404 like this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
Holy hell, yes on the fuel gauge. I filled up on Monday morning. The gauge "E" had been flashing, and the trip meter was showing about 39 miles left. I figured I had about a gallon left, and am not yet sure how quickly the trip meter starts to fall after the flashing E starts (and it had been going a while). Since I had an appointment after work, with no time to gas up if the trip meter fell really low really quickly, I turned in to fuel up. It took only 2.6 gallons. I currently have about 50 miles on this tank, and the gauge is showing half full. Unless my eyes deceived me when I looked in the tank after seeing 2.6 gallons, I am sure I filled it completely. The bulk of my riding is a relatively short commute on surface streets and in a bit of traffic. I know that mucks up my gas mileage, but this gauge just can't be right!
The gauge is insanely paranoid. Mine starts blinking at 300kms (186 miles) even though I have about 110kms (68 miles) to empty.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
The gauge is insanely paranoid. Mine starts blinking at 300kms (186 miles) even though I have about 110kms (68 miles) to empty.
Agree, and it's not just premature with it's reading on mine it constantly adds and subtracts bars after I reach around 120 miles. It's supremely annoying as one of the reasons I picked the Versys was because of it's range... I know it still has the range but having such an inaccurate gauge messes with me. For what it's worth I always reset the trip odo an rely more on that than the fuel gauge.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It does, especially if you use Motul 7100 oil. Plus apply a little pressure on the shifter lever right before you are going to shift and it will enter the gear like a glove. My gear shifting never makes any noises other that when entering the gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode