• 2 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 4 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Short term storage. Anything I should do?

Broke my dang left ankle! So no rides for me. I would assume 4-6 weeks maybe longer if I need surgery for a pin. Have appointment later this week with a ortho doc.

Anything I should do in that amount of time for the bike?
I just filled up the tank and lubed the chain before it happened so its full and sitting on the paddock stand.
I have a lithium battery, so not sure I have to charge it. But should I let it run for a while once a week or something?

I'm in the desert its 115 deg, its parked in a garage.
This will be the first time I have gone for more than a day without riding...... its going to be hard. I had to fill up my truck for the first time in 2 months...ouch $70 vs $7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Stabilizer

I would put stabilizer in the tank, try and slosh it around, run it until the fan cycles twice, shut it off, then every 2 months put a battery tender on it . My bike sat for over 6 months, had stabilizer in, every 3 months I used my motorcycle charger for 6 hours, then disconnected it, even though it is a tender, I always have some doubt about the cycling.
Kyle E likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:19 PM

Garage
Only a month / month and a half... don't even worry about it.
Kyle E likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Garage
Yea, I wouldn`t be concerned.
Kyle E likes this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Garage
I would treat the fuel just for good cause if its ethanol fuel, but other than that, 6 -8 weeks wont be any problem.

The general rule for storage is to avoid starting the bike if you cant ride a while it to get it up to temp. ..because short run times promote condensation in the exhaust and crankcase.

bummer about the ankle , hope all goes well and you back on the bike in no time
Kyle E likes this.

2016 green V1K
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:10 PM

I left bikes sitting while I was on cruise in the Navy for 6-9 months and the only thing I did was fill the tank with fuel. Never had a problem.
Kyle E likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
...Anything I should do in that amount of time for the bike?...
IF you can get it so that your tires are NOT on the ground, that'd be a good idea.

Quote:
...But should I let it run for a while once a week or something?...
No - that's worse for the bike, but STA-BIL or SEA FOAM would be a good idea....

Quote:
...I had to fill up my truck for the first time in 2 months...ouch $70 vs $7...
Here in Kanuckistan I've been putting MORE than $20 of gas into the Versys each time I fill it (gas here is $1.429 [Cdn] per L, which is ABOUT $4.05US/ USgallon)!

Oh well....
onewizard and Kyle E like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Clarification

Anyone following some of my posts this year will realize I had hoped to be out around April or Early May, not June 7. Mention by OP about fresh gas, adding stabilizer into 2 month old gas gives you 2 month old stabilized gas, it doesn't improve it, so my planned outing on my Versys was delayed by 3 months, total sitting time just over 6 months, so what you hope for may not be reality, you can't go back in time. What I do, near what I think is my last ride of the season I add stabil, if I get 1 or 2 more rides, the same thing happens. This is the longest any bike of mine has sat in 47 years. I am still healing but sure is nice riding again.
otto_versys_blotto and Kyle E like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-27-2018 at 05:54 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This is the longest any bike of mine has sat in 47 years. I am still healing but sure is nice riding again.
I feel ya man. I will find out for sure on Friday morning exact time line for recovery. Hell Ive been walking on it broken a week so doubt its too bad. If its going to be more than 4-6 weeks Ill grab the stabil for sure to be on the safe side. Wish I would have waited to get gas, would have been the perfect time to do valves and plugs, since I could have taken my time, not a rush to do it job chomping at the bit for the valve shims to get here or anything.

Oh well guess that means I get to wait till summers over and it wont be 2000 deg in the shop when I do it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, put my mind at ease.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage
Man Up.....I had a fractured Femur & Tibia at the right knee. 4 cracked ribs and a fractured left wrist and i only missed 10 days of riding..
Finally went to a doctor after 3 weeks and thats what they told me....
onewizard and Kyle E like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Man Up.....
Hell man if it was the right ankle I would have ridden the bike to the Quick Care! I can do without a rear brake, but still need to shift!
weljo2001 and Rob9876 like this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

LAST thing I broke was my left-tibia (back in '91) while riding my Can Am 400 Qualifier in the Rockies.

For various reasons (NOT the break!) I put it up for sale a few months later. Fellow came, looked it over, then asked "How do you start it w/ the left-side kick start?"

I was in a 'walking cast' on that leg, but I straddled it, KICKED, it started right away, then I rode down the alley and back.

He bought it.

BEST dirt-bike I ever rode, and wish I still had it.

Kyle E likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:50 AM

Yeah, don't be a wuss! Ride that bike. I rode 90 minutes home, half of which was single track, after fracturing my collar bone. j/k, but yeah I did ride home. It was a bit sore but didn't hurt bad until later that evening.

That was the beginning of about 4 months no riding. Dental surgery which meant I couldn't wear my full-face helmet, then back surgery. I put the battery on the tender. I also changed the oil, which I do going into the autumn every year regardless of miles ridden. I usually put in some fuel stabilizer. I try to run non-ethanol fuel, which isn't so age critical.

Never had a problem with the V and fuel aging. My previous bike had carbs and yeah they gummed up bad over the winter if I didn't drain it completely.

Getting tires off the concrete is a good idea but I can't do it in my current situation and haven't had any tire cracking problems.

So, basically, I'd say don't worry about storage for a month or two. Definitely do not start it and let it idle just to shut it down! Fasteddie is correct that this is much harder on the engine than sitting dormant.
Kyle E likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

FYI just done at Doc's office. Coolest Doc ever.

Mentioned how bummed I was to be off the bike for a month etc. He said "What type of boots do you use?" I told him over the ankle full leather "combat boots" He said "Lace it tight and put the right foot down at lights too. If it doesn't hurt to shift go for it. If it hurts to shift, stop"

Woo hoo!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
FYI just done at Doc's office. Coolest Doc ever.

Mentioned how bummed I was to be off the bike for a month etc. He said "What type of boots do you use?" I told him over the ankle full leather "combat boots" He said "Lace it tight and put the right foot down at lights too. If it doesn't hurt to shift go for it. If it hurts to shift, stop"

Woo hoo!

If you want to get strange looks while riding. Just strap a pair of crutches to the back of your bike. After my accident i used crutches around the house and later a buddy wreck his Harley and asked to borrow my crutches so i strap them to the back of my V-650 to take to him and people had the craziest looks on their faces as they pulled up to me...
Kyle E likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Getting tires off the concrete is a good idea but I can't do it in my current situation and haven't had any tire cracking problems.

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong; but I don't think you have to get them off the ground (although that would be nice), but just getting them off one spot on concrete would be good. It may be a old wives tale, but I used to hear if you had to store a car, pull the car up on pieces of carpet under each tire. Personally, I agree with most, and for 6 weeks I would do nothing. Especially as you are in one very dry (low humidity) region.
Kyle E likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Somebody will correct me if I am wrong; but I don't think you have to get them off the ground (although that would be nice), but just getting them off one spot on concrete would be good. It may be a old wives tale, but I used to hear if you had to store a car, pull the car up on pieces of carpet under each tire. Personally, I agree with most, and for 6 weeks I would do nothing. Especially as you are in one very dry (low humidity) region.
Honestly I don't recall exactly what I read, but it was a long time ago. Something about the concrete moisture damaging the tires, or the concrete pulling some oils out of the tire when it sits on one spot. I used to put a small piece of wood under each tire for winter storage. I figured it couldn't hurt.

But then at one time I had a bike sit unridden for a couple of years without doing that, and there was no issue with tires or carbs.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you want to get strange looks while riding. Just strap a pair of crutches to the back of your bike. After my accident i used crutches around the house and later a buddy wreck his Harley and asked to borrow my crutches so i strap them to the back of my V-650 to take to him and people had the craziest looks on their faces as they pulled up to me...
Joe - I'll BET that you get strange looks NO MATTER what you strap to your bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post

In AZ I mainly get the tires UP so that they don't STICK to the concrete when it gets to 140F in the garage in the summer, but secondarily - to keep them from 'flat-spotting'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode