DIY Versys 650 ABBA stand (replaces front and rear paddock stands) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Thumbs up DIY Versys 650 ABBA stand (replaces front and rear paddock stands)

A year ago, right after I first got the Versys as my first big bike, I knew I would need paddock stands for basic maintenance jobs and others not so basic. Rear mainly for chain, but also front for winter storage. I browsed the internet for stands and something caught my eye (can't remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else but I can't find it again). A Versys owner from Israel had designed and made his own stand and posted pictures of it. It was a central paddock stand (if I can call it that) that had a steel pipe beam going through the hollow crossbeam that the frame was made of, through the middle of the bike. You only have to remove 2 plastic covers on either side to get access to it. It basically lifts the bike on the principle of a classic central stand under the bike, though with an opposite leverage point (at least for me, because I lift the bike with my body facing front of the bike, with my left foot on the left leg of the stand pulling the lever towards me and the bike slightly forward).

He also posted a nice little technical drawing with measurements. He had a Gen 2 (IIRC), but the principle was the same since Gen 3 also has a hollow crossbeam through the bike. It looked pretty solid and I thought he did a damn good job with it. So I saved the pictures on my PC and that's where I left it for the time being. Back then I didn't even know these were called ABBA stands, since I didn't know there was a company that was making them (called ABBA, obviously). We'll get to that in a second.

Some time passed, I put on some miles and it was time to think about those stands again. I looked at the prices locally (for 2 classic paddock stands, front and rear) and they were rather pricey. In the meantime, I found out this concept was called ABBA so I figured might as well go for the manufactured stuff. Alas, Versys 650 was not in the list. Crap! I wasn't going to spend my dineros on 2 paddock stands though, so I finally decided to make my own following that guy's example. I got the materials, the tools and the welder and began. After a bit of shoddy welding, my uncle (that I borrowed the welder from) came by, took pity on me and helped me finish the job.

I made some key adjustments, however. First of all, I modified the design slightly. Since the original design had the bike supported by welds, my uncle and I agreed it was much better to cut the guides for the central beam into the main supporting steel sections of the stand itself, putting the weight of the bike on them and having the welds there just to hold things in place. Second, since I couldn't use the lever the way it was made in the original design, I put the guide for the lever on the side and also a stopping point for the lever (so it doesn't slide down through it as I'm lifting the bike). And lastly, I shortened the height of the stand obviously to account for the first modification and to allow the bike to be lifted in the first place (too high and the angle of the stand before lifting would be so sharp not even a Hulk could lift it ). I shortened the main supporting steel sections for about 20mm (from 665 to roughly 645; see original design schematic).

And that was it. I drilled the holes for the safety pin (minor modification to make it simple, instead of 2 pinch bolts on the beam guides; again see original design schematic), painted the thing in matte black, put standard plastic caps into the feet and lower ends of main sections and voila - job done! I also cut a piece of wooden beam into a block (238mm long) to lift the front of the bike so that the front and rear wheel are pretty much leveled, making this a great setup to also change my oil (and of course, for winter storage). Perfect!

I would like to say thanks to that guy from Israel who made this originally, without him I probably wouldn't even think of making this myself. So if you're reading this my friend, I owe you a beer.
Pictures below, along with original pictures from the Israeli guy as attachments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys stand 1.jpg (38.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 2.jpg (67.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 3.jpg (66.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 4.jpg (62.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 5.jpg (57.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 6.jpg (53.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Versys stand 7 (diagram).jpg (53.5 KB, 59 views)

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 06-25-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:51 AM

Garage
Nice, but doesn't look like a DIY project for the majority. I would like to learn welding, but am concerned about damaging my already poor vision.

When I saw ABBA, I thought of this:

Skypilot 69 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hehe the Abba reference always delivers. :P

As for welding, as long as you use a welding mask you shouldn't worry about it. I'm still a novice at it myself, especially when it comes to welding thin steel but it comes with experience. The main thing is to use the welder on low power setting that doesn't burn through the thin metal the moment you touch it, the rest you just do in short "bursts" with a second or two between each contact. Make sure not to leave any gaps and it should be fine.

You can practice your welds on spare pieces until you're happy with results, then you just translate that into the project. Having someone just to hold pieces for you while you tack them together makes things a lot easier, but I guess with some clamps and a bit of improvisation it's not a must.

Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 06-25-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Bad grammar :(

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Garage
WELL DONE!

I own an ABBA stand and recently ordered pins to be able to use it with my Versys. Turns out you can use the ER-6 pins, but it's a giant PIA (have to tie back the footpegs, use a block of wood under the stand, covers, etc.) so I have decided to get a center stand instead.

I work at a welding shop, would it possible for you to mark up the original drawing with your new dimensions? I want to make sure I make it the same way you did, it looks awesome!
NightRider likes this.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! Yeah, I'll invest some time later today or tomorrow (Soccer World Cup going on ) to take all the measurements and make a schematic for you.

Add a custom signature
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
WELL DONE!

I own an ABBA stand and recently ordered pins to be able to use it with my Versys. Turns out you can use the ER-6 pins, but it's a giant PIA (have to tie back the footpegs, use a block of wood under the stand, covers, etc.) so I have decided to get a center stand instead.

I work at a welding shop, would it possible for you to mark up the original drawing with your new dimensions? I want to make sure I make it the same way you did, it looks awesome!
I just used an ABBA stand with the Ninja 650/R pins this past weekend to change my tires. I used the rubber twist ties for the pegs, though not really needed on my 2014, and to hold up the rear brake. I had some old 2x6 and 2x4 deck material to make a small platform. The biggest difference between what you've made and an ABBA, is that the ABBA uses the swing arm pivot instead of the frame junction.

Now what you need to build is the front lift arm accessory so you don't have to use that weird block on the headers.

I really like my ABBA stand and plan on purchasing the front lift arm soon. It's still cheaper than a nice set of paddock stands and I love how secure it is.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmango333 View Post
Now what you need to build is the front lift arm accessory so you don't have to use that weird block on the headers.
Nah, I like my block better. It's much cleaner, easier to put under, requires no messing about with additional steel sections and putting the whole contraption under the bike, and it doesn't rely on a strap to keep it steady and solid.

Add a custom signature
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

How To Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
A year ago, right after I first got the Versys as my first big bike, I knew I would need paddock stands for basic maintenance jobs and others not so basic. Rear mainly for chain, but also front for winter storage. I browsed the internet for stands and something caught my eye (can't remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else but I can't find it again). A Versys owner from Israel had designed and made his own stand and posted pictures of it. It was a central paddock stand (if I can call it that) that had a steel pipe beam going through the hollow crossbeam that the frame was made of, through the middle of the bike. You only have to remove 2 plastic covers on either side to get access to it. It basically lifts the bike on the principle of a classic central stand under the bike, though with an opposite leverage point (at least for me, because I lift the bike with my body facing front of the bike, with my left foot on the left leg of the stand pulling the lever towards me and the bike slightly forward).

He also posted a nice little technical drawing with measurements. He had a Gen 2 (IIRC), but the principle was the same since Gen 3 also has a hollow crossbeam through the bike. It looked pretty solid and I thought he did a damn good job with it. So I saved the pictures on my PC and that's where I left it for the time being. Back then I didn't even know these were called ABBA stands, since I didn't know there was a company that was making them (called ABBA, obviously). We'll get to that in a second.

Some time passed, I put on some miles and it was time to think about those stands again. I looked at the prices locally (for 2 classic paddock stands, front and rear) and they were rather pricey. In the meantime, I found out this concept was called ABBA so I figured might as well go for the manufactured stuff. Alas, Versys 650 was not in the list. Crap! I wasn't going to spend my dineros on 2 paddock stands though, so I finally decided to make my own following that guy's example. I got the materials, the tools and the welder and began. After a bit of shoddy welding, my uncle (that I borrowed the welder from) came by, took pity on me and helped me finish the job.

I made some key adjustments, however. First of all, I modified the design slightly. Since the original design had the bike supported by welds, my uncle and I agreed it was much better to cut the guides for the central beam into the main supporting steel sections of the stand itself, putting the weight of the bike on them and having the welds there just to hold things in place. Second, since I couldn't use the lever the way it was made in the original design, I put the guide for the lever on the side and also a stopping point for the lever (so it doesn't slide down through it as I'm lifting the bike). And lastly, I shortened the height of the stand obviously to account for the first modification and to allow the bike to be lifted in the first place (too high and the angle of the stand before lifting would be so sharp not even a Hulk could lift it ). I shortened the main supporting steel sections for about 20mm (from 665 to roughly 645; see original design schematic).

And that was it. I drilled the holes for the safety pin (minor modification to make it simple, instead of 2 pinch bolts on the beam guides; again see original design schematic), painted the thing in matte black, put standard plastic caps into the feet and lower ends of main sections and voila - job done! I also cut a piece of wooden beam into a block (238mm long) to lift the front of the bike so that the front and rear wheel are pretty much leveled, making this a great setup to also change my oil (and of course, for winter storage). Perfect!

I would like to say thanks to that guy from Israel who made this originally, without him I probably wouldn't even think of making this myself. So if you're reading this my friend, I owe you a beer.
Pictures below, along with original pictures from the Israeli guy as attachments.

I am not sure when the original was made, and reference to the guy in Israel is also mentioned, but the second post in 2008 here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...r-methods.html

I will add your post to that thread, I have made something similar however I haven't posted it as again several things are needed, a full size van bumper jack, a piece of 3/4 rigid conduit with a threaded end, a 3/4 coupling, a old discarded steel bed frame or similar angle, someone to weld it together.
NightRider likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-25-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I'll invest some time later today or tomorrow (Soccer World Cup going on ) to take all the measurements and make a schematic for you.
Thank you so much! My best friend, who lives in Toronto now, was born in Banja Luka (last name Banjac). Who are you cheering for WC?
NightRider likes this.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I am not sure when the original was made, and reference to the guy in Israel is also mentioned, but the second post in 2008 here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...r-methods.html

I will add your post to that thread, I have made something similar however I haven't posted it as again several things are needed, a full size van bumper jack, a piece of 3/4 rigid conduit with a threaded end, a 3/4 coupling, a old discarded steel bed frame or similar angle, someone to weld it together.
Yes! You found it! I must register on that forum now, I have to thank him personally! I just hope he's still around to read it.

This is his post:
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?o...5&topic=3665.0

Add a custom signature
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Garage
Would the Versys 1000 stand work for the 650?

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
Thank you so much! My best friend, who lives in Toronto now, was born in Banja Luka (last name Banjac). Who are you cheering for WC?
Cool! That's quite the coincidence! Yeah, Banjac is a Serbian last name alright. hehe

I'm cheering for Serbia mainly, but they're not doing very well. On top of that, German referees didn't call a pretty obvious penalty kick in their previous match against Switzerland, an action for which various analysts and retired professional players said it was a clear rip-off. Still, performance of the team itself leaves much to be desired unfortunately, so I'm not getting my hopes up especially since their last group match is against Brazil.

And I'm also cheering for Senegal. I have fond memories of Senegal on 2002 World Cup when they played spectacular football, and I liked them ever since. Despite them making a couple of bad mistakes in their last match, I'm still hoping they will get out of the groups. Go Senegal!
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

Add a custom signature
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
Would the Versys 1000 stand work for the 650?
Honestly I have no idea. And I wasn't willing to find out the hard way.
Considering that I now have a stand, it's unlikely I'll ever try to find out.

Add a custom signature
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
I just scored a T-Rex triple-tree stand for 50 bucks. Man, it really works nice. The front tire has plenty of ground clearance. I sure wish I had had it when I changed out my tires and brakes a couple of months ago. I highly recommend it.

Randy
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 PM

Garage
So there is no optional center-stand for the Versys 650?????

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Of course there is, if you've got the money for it.

Add a custom signature
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Of course there is, if you've got the money for it.
I' am thinking that building that nice looking stand would cost more than the center-stand. And some one who does not weld or has access to the welding equipment and steal stock, it might be more cost effective to just bite the bullet and get the center-stand. Not to mention the space required to store the stand. With all that said, it is a nice stand and a great fabrication job.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I' am thinking that building that nice looking stand would cost more than the center-stand. And some one who does not weld or has access to the welding equipment and steal stock, it might be more cost effective to just bite the bullet and get the center-stand. Not to mention the space required to store the stand. With all that said, it is a nice stand and a great fabrication job.
Well, the stand isn't really that demanding in terms of space but I suppose you have a point about the fabrication process. Materials are cheap enough, however you do have to borrow the welding equipment from someone like I did. I have an uncle that has a welder so I guess I got lucky there. In the end, it all depends on how far you're willing to go to save a nice chunk of cash. Personally, I'm willing to go as far as I can.

Add a custom signature
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Posts Moved / How To Forum

Just a FYI the How To Forum was never meant to be a forum to discuss pros and cons or views of what works or doesn't, it was meant as a resource to find a step by step way of doing something or a source/ knowledge to help in outfitting or repairing. So the last 5 posts where moved to this thread. I temporarily closed that thread as it is very easy to reply to something without noticing that it is one of the regular discussion threads, once the post works it's way to the bottom after 7 days I will open it.

This thread is also stuck
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
As of right now there are two stands available-both have problems-both sell in the $300 range--the new T Rex center stand should be out soon and will fix all the problems of the other two-and be cheaper

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode