• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Lours_Polaire
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Help!! Givi PL447 Side Case Turn Signal Bracket

Here is the situation; I just ordered the Givi PL447 Side Case racks for my 09 650. I was humming along and about to complete the install when I got to the turn signal relocation bracket. I followed the instructions and low and behold the connection is now about 4" too short. I looked on the Revzilla site and nowhere does it state that I need to lengthen my signal wires to make this product work on my bike. I contacted Revzilla and their customer service rep said that I do indeed need to extend my signal wires, but didn't offer any advice on how to accomplish this. Honestly, I am a little pissed that I got the entire setup installed including top box rack with NO mention of needing extensions. Even the instructions show a relocation bracket that would work wonders as it only sticks out 1-2" instead of the 4-5" on these. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA.

2009 Versys 650
A few odds and ends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM

I seem to recall having to lengthen the wires when I installed my PLX447 racks. I don't recall exactly the gauge of wire I bought, but I ended up just getting some wire at Canadian Tire.

Edit: found my original post on the topic which explains what I did.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/144015-post3.html

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

Last edited by DaveC; 06-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yep... I think I used something like 20 ga wire.
Soldered & heat shrinked, don't do ugly splices they will only bite you later.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I seem to recall having to lengthen the wires when I installed my PLX447 racks. I don't recall exactly the gauge of wire I bought, but I ended up just getting some wire at Canadian Tire.

Edit: found my original post on the topic which explains what I did.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/144015-post3.html
Thank you sir!! You would think Givi, knowing this is an issue, would have provided some sort of guidance or adapter in their kit. This helps me visualize the splicing process, thanks again!
onewizard and DaveC like this.

2009 Versys 650
A few odds and ends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When I did this on a different bike, I had to reroute the turn signals wires. I squeezed them out the bottom of the tail.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
When I did this on a different bike, I had to reroute the turn signals wires. I squeezed them out the bottom of the tail.

If I remember correctly, I believe I did the same on my '08... use a dremel to notch some of the black tail plastic and rerouted the cables. Lengthening should be just as good a fix.
GreenRubi likes this.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I installed the GiVi447 mounts onto BOTH my '08 and '09 Gen 1s, but I have NO recollection of lengthening the wires (which does NOT mean that I didn't lengthen them).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB221073 copy.jpg (31.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03263A copy.JPG (257.5 KB, 0 views)
GreenRubi likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I installed the GiVi447 mounts onto BOTH my '08 and '09 Gen 1s, but I have NO recollection of lengthening the wires (which does NOT mean that I didn't lengthen them).

Thanks!! I have to say that Revzilla took care of me after all was said and done! At this point I will be extending the wires this weekend after some guidance form Revzilla. They suggested using 20 gauge wire, does that sound right? I just want to make sure I don't introduce a "single point of failure" on my bike before I even get it registered (that is a whole other story )

2009 Versys 650
A few odds and ends

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
For me, I remeber that

- No drilling
- No dremel
- No drama
- Yes, had too leghten ONE SIDE, because the wiring harness is on one side under the seat, so I had to add some lenght on one side. A bit of welding, shrink wrap NOT heated/shrink (to prevent chaffing the wire), left loose, happy since

Went easy and fast

LOP
GreenRubi likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

OK, after a lot of humming and hawing I decided to cut the wires. I think it came out pretty good for my first time!

It was enough to get me out on the road riding with my son and some buddies!!

2009 Versys 650
A few odds and ends

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRubi View Post
OK, after a lot of humming and hawing I decided to cut the wires. I think it came out pretty good for my first time!

It was enough to get me out on the road riding with my son and some buddies!!

-

GreenRubi likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode