• 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Dual Horns

Sitting around nursing a wonderful summer head cold. Out in the garage rubbing on the bike when I remember a 12 volt horn I bought a while back.

Did a quick install on the bike and presto... louder and way more obnoxious sounding horns over just the stocker.

The frequencies are different on the two horns so it really gets your attention.

Easy to install. Wired it up in parallel with the stock horn and the two share the same bolt and mounting location.

Good return on a measly $12 investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_152220.jpg (55.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_152227.jpg (64.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180620_152240.jpg (62.4 KB, 39 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Garage
Looks like my setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180525_172041_1529536368322.jpg (38.9 KB, 32 views)
quexpress and hawkerjet like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Loud horns save lives.....or at least get their attention long enough to flip them the bird.
hawkerjet likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

ANYTHING to make you more noticeable to cage-drivers gets MY vote!
quexpress and hawkerjet like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Garage
I passed a friend on the highway yesterday during my morning commute. I beeped my horn twice and waved. He didn't wave back and was frantically looking around. He didn't seem to notice me. I was rather puzzled and somewhat concerned by this. Why hadn't my horn gotten his attention?

I spoke with him later and he had most certainly seen me. But my Denali SoundBomb horn had him looking for the transport truck honking at him, which he couldn't find anywhere nearby. He was worried he was about to become an accident statistic...
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM

can you give us a link to it and the installation instructions?
thanks.

2016 Versys 650, Carbon Gray/Black
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
can you give us a link to it and the installation instructions?
thanks.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Sitting around nursing a wonderful summer head cold. Out in the garage rubbing on the bike when I remember a 12 volt horn I bought a while back.

Did a quick install on the bike and presto... louder and way more obnoxious sounding horns over just the stocker.

The frequencies are different on the two horns so it really gets your attention.

Easy to install. Wired it up in parallel with the stock horn and the two share the same bolt and mounting location.

Good return on a measly $12 investment.
You are drawing more amps now so you want to make sure that the wire to the horn button is up for the task. When adding more horn power I wire the horn button to a relay and then power the horns directly from the battery. I have read about guys melting their horn buttons from blasting the horn to long.

I have stopped the practice of increasing horn power on my bikes because I found that in a situation where the horn is going to do more than just express my frustration with a driver that I am too busy avoiding and maneuvering to actually hit the horn.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You are drawing more amps now so you want to make sure that the wire to the horn button is up for the task. When adding more horn power I wire the horn button to a relay and then power the horns directly from the battery. I have read about guys melting their horn buttons from blasting the horn to long.
I put an extra horn of a couple of bikes now without any problems.

You are correct as it does up the amp draw. I never lay on the horn, just a couple of quick beep beep's, which is not enough to over heat anything.

Stuff like aux lighting I always run separate wires to the battery along with a relay.

Cheers mate.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have stopped the practice of increasing horn power on my bikes because I found that in a situation where the horn is going to do more than just express my frustration with a driver that I am too busy avoiding and maneuvering to actually hit the horn.
I have made it a parking lot practice to always cover the horn and clutch at the same time while maneuvering so as to try and be comfortable in doing that motion at any time, together. Thankfully I've been blessed with monkey-like long-ass fingers hahaha

'round these parts, people are NEVER looking for us 2 wheelers. I'm sure all of us feel that way, but I'm willing to bet my kingdom that my city is in the worst percentile for it.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
I have made it a parking lot practice to always cover the horn and clutch at the same time while maneuvering so as to try and be comfortable in doing that motion at any time, together. Thankfully I've been blessed with monkey-like long-ass fingers hahaha

'round these parts, people are NEVER looking for us 2 wheelers. I'm sure all of us feel that way, but I'm willing to bet my kingdom that my city is in the worst percentile for it.
I don't live in a city, thankfully. My current bikes came with louder than the typical scooter horns on the japanese bikes.

But yes, if I am travelling in a multi-lane road that is crowded to where I can't ride without someone in the lane beside me I cover the horn button and if the car is just weaving towards the dividing line I will tap the horn to let them know I am there.

I guess I need to practice laying on the horn while simultaneously moving to the outer edge of my lane and either accelerating or braking. Of course I have heard people complain about motorcycles coming out of nowhere and passing them and I tell them that the bike was probably in their blind spot and had to accelerate because you were coming into their lane. That gets them thinking.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I put an extra horn of a couple of bikes now without any problems.

You are correct as it does up the amp draw. I never lay on the horn, just a couple of quick beep beep's, which is not enough to over heat anything.

Stuff like aux lighting I always run separate wires to the battery along with a relay.

Cheers mate.
For those that are considering this, you should look at the horn circuit and check the amp draw by adding up all the components on the circuit and seeing what the fuse rating is to make sure you are not exceeding the circuit. If you are not sure what the draw of the components are, you should put your amp meter in line and measure the draw.

NEVER, NEVER put a higher rated fuse in the circuit.

Several decades ago, I had stupidly wrapped a glass fuse with an aluminum gum wrapper to have the light on to get home because i didn't have a spare fuse with me. Thankfully that didn't start an electrical fire.
hawkerjet likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode