How Fast Can She Go Mister? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How Fast Can She Go Mister?

Yesterday on my way to the coast I pinned it.

Out in AG country with nothing but row crops for miles, along a flat strait stretch I wanted to see how fast she would go.

Seemed to hit a wall at round a buck 12. I had my large duffel strapped on the back of the seat which may have caused a bit of extra drag.

Curious how fast ya'll have gone on your V?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I calculated max indicated speed based on rpm in 6th gear. Came up with something like 120. I'm not brave enough to try it out tbh. No qualms doing that speed on deserted roads for extended periods in my Audi when I had it, but not on a bike.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Yesterday on my way to the coast I pinned it.

Out in AG country with nothing but row crops for miles, along a flat strait stretch I wanted to see how fast she would go.

Seemed to hit a wall at round a buck 12. I had my large duffel strapped on the back of the seat which may have caused a bit of extra drag.

Curious how fast ya'll have gone on your V?
Were you in 5th gear? My '11 was faster in 5th gear. I hit 115 with givi saddlebags and camping gear strapped on and all the other stuff I added to the stock bike. This was on backroads in Wyoming. My buddy was on a ZZR600 so I was working hard to keep from falling too far behind.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I calculated max indicated speed based on rpm in 6th gear. Came up with something like 120. I'm not brave enough to try it out tbh. No qualms doing that speed on deserted roads for extended periods in my Audi when I had it, but not on a bike.
You will most likely run out of steam before ever reaching that in 6th.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
114mph on a 09 with 42k miles on it. with a givi sail up front and trunk box on the back

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I have not tried top speed in 5th gear. It's always been 6th. Bike really hits a wall around 110. More air than it can overcome.

Rarely go up there as it's more of an academic exercise cuz the little V is the most fun between 40 and 80 mph.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 PM

105 and seemed to have more than a little something left...............
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2011 650. I got it to 118 MPH on the GPS (think it was 121 indicated) for a sustained period. But that was a bit downhill. 115 seems to the max on open flat interstate.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
107 mph is the fastest I could see on my 2016 LT with 2k miles on the clock.

Disclaimer: kawasaki sidebags (always full of tools, air-compressor and crap...), I ride in full gear and with the 220 lb of force Earth's gravity pulls on me everyday to its center (Yeah! it's not flat).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:02 AM

Garage
I used to be able to “go” 120 with stock gearing. Dropped 2 teeth in the back which trues up the speedo and I’m topping out at 115. That’s with a TBR system and no luggage, 220lb rider with gear.

I think I could squeeze out an additional few mph, but don’t see the point of pinning it for that long.
silviefox likes this.

Ring Rippers Founding Father
[/FONT]
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM

I've seen 124mph indicated on my 2018 LT with 1k miles on it. That was a slight downhill with bags on and me (220lbs) I was keeping up with a sport biker who said he was doing 120.

I've seen 110 uphill, and flat surfaces seen 120 a few times. All with bags, I wear a riding jacket and a helmet and usually have my sport bike friends' stuff in the bags (I need to charge rent lol).

Edited to add - all stock, nothing tuned, added, changed.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I've hit 122 indicated (about 110 actual), bone stock (in Mexico of course).

The bike is completely stable at that speed.

It would just about keep up with a FZ-07.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
All THREE of mine would (or WILL!) do the "speed limit"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Update time.

Just installed a new set of Bridgestone S21 tires. Was out on a long strait stretch. Pinned it in 6'th, tucked in behind the screen and saw 116 on the clock.

Thinking if I had a bit more road she might have made it to a buck 20.

I have to chuckle, a few years ago when I had my Ninja 1000 it would just start breathing good as you passed thru a buck 20.

That's ok cuz at my now advanced age a buck 20 is plenty fast.

My normal operating range is 40 to 80 mph. I mention this so ya'll don't think I am a total hooligan. Partial hooligan is ok but not a total one...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 PM

Retired hooligan myself. Tempted fate waaay too many times in my youth!
hawkerjet likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just once for a few seconds @ 160km....but if its 4 wheels, then its different numbers..
hawkerjet and Craigar like this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Update time.

Just installed a new set of Bridgestone S21 tires. Was out on a long strait stretch. Pinned it in 6'th, tucked in behind the screen and saw 116 on the clock.

Thinking if I had a bit more road she might have made it to a buck 20.

I have to chuckle, a few years ago when I had my Ninja 1000 it would just start breathing good as you passed thru a buck 20.

That's ok cuz at my now advanced age a buck 20 is plenty fast.

My normal operating range is 40 to 80 mph. I mention this so ya'll don't think I am a total hooligan. Partial hooligan is ok but not a total one...Lol.
You should have tried in 5th gear like I mentioned above. I got a little more out of my '11 in 5th than I could in 6th.

The Concours would hit 90 in second gear. Never got past 3rd before having to slow down.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:14 AM

My speedo app on my iphone recorded 106 and change on a trip in Arkansas. I'm not sure when it happened, but my guess is it was a passing run downhill since I don't get too far from the speed limit as a usual rule. I seem to remember a group of Harleys easing along and......As to trying to find top speed, I hit 98 before traffic forced me to shut down. It had more to go than I did though.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You should have tried in 5th gear like I mentioned above. I got a little more out of my '11 in 5th than I could in 6th.

The Concours would hit 90 in second gear. Never got past 3rd before having to slow down.
When I had my Connie 14 I think I hit a buck 30 a couple of times. That bike was rock solid at speed.

5th gear may be faster on the V but I don't like getting that far up in the revs. Think I was just north of 8k in 6th gear at 116.

My days of setting land speed records are in the rear view.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
When I had my Connie 14 I think I hit a buck 30 a couple of times. That bike was rock solid at speed.

5th gear may be faster on the V but I don't like getting that far up in the revs. Think I was just north of 8k in 6th gear at 116.

My days of setting land speed records are in the rear view.
My eyes are what are slowing me down. I have to have the road memorized now before I can increase the speed through the curves. I will fight getting old with all I have.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode