39.5 Highway MPG - 2013 Versys 650 - 43 tooth rear sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
39.5 Highway MPG - 2013 Versys 650 - 43 tooth rear sprocket

Hey Guys,

My commute is mostly highway (25 miles one way) with about 3 miles of city driving at 40mph. I changed my rear sprocket to 43 teeth because I wanted longer gearing and I spend almost all my highway time at 80mph. The revs are fairly high at this speed and my mileage has not been that great - I have been averaging about 39.5 mpg over 6 tanks of fuel.

I see on fuelly.com that the average for this year bike is about 45 mpg, with other near 60mpg. Is just my speed making this terrible mpg?

Side notes: the bike has almost 10k miles, just did new spark plugs, coolant, oil and filter, and cleaned the air filter before these tanks of fuel. I ride with a Givi windscreen and no side or top cases, just myself (185lbs) and a backpack.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Let me hijack this post just to ask a question. Do you still have plenty of torque with the 43 spocket. If you had it to do again, would you go lower (41ish...?). I'm ready to make that mod myself. I ride in a relatively flat climate and I would like to drop the RPMs at highway speed. Thanks!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by znelson10 View Post
Hey Guys,

My commute is mostly highway (25 miles one way) with about 3 miles of city driving at 40mph. I changed my rear sprocket to 43 teeth because I wanted longer gearing and I spend almost all my highway time at 80mph. The revs are fairly high at this speed and my mileage has not been that great - I have been averaging about 39.5 mpg over 6 tanks of fuel.

I see on fuelly.com that the average for this year bike is about 45 mpg, with other near 60mpg. Is just my speed making this terrible mpg?

Side notes: the bike has almost 10k miles, just did new spark plugs, coolant, oil and filter, and cleaned the air filter before these tanks of fuel. I ride with a Givi windscreen and no side or top cases, just myself (185lbs) and a backpack.

Thank you!
i have the same set up (givi front sail, 43t rear sprocket, 160lbs+ backpack) on my 08 and ive noticed about the same mileage (ave around 43mpg best was 51mpg ) and same kind of riding 99% highway going 70+mph....oh and my bike has about 42k miles on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Woods View Post
Let me hijack this post just to ask a question. Do you still have plenty of torque with the 43 spocket. If you had it to do again, would you go lower (41ish...?). I'm ready to make that mod myself. I ride in a relatively flat climate and I would like to drop the RPMs at highway speed. Thanks!!
i have the 43T and love it speedo is about spot on, 70 mph is right about 5k rpm and you can still wheelie 1st and 2nd gear. still loads of torque (i live up in the mountains so lots of up hill riding)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do like the 43 sprocket and I am still happy with the torque. It does still wheelie in 1st and 2nd like mentioned, but I do wish it had an overdrive gear for cruising at high speeds. I think you would have to remove some links if you went to a smaller sprocket and I did not want to do that in case I went back to stock gearing.

I have found that the speedo is 3mph slow compared to my phones gps at 80mph.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by znelson10 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thank you!
I have a 43 tooth tear on mine and average 47. REMEMBER! The stock speedo reads higher than the actual speed gears with a 46 tooth sprocket. Thus your old fuel economy will "appear" to be higher.

The nice thing about having your speedometer correct is that your odometer reading is correct now too. The 46 tooth sprocket puts fake miles on your odometer since it reads faster than you're actually traveling.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
I have a 43 tooth tear on mine and average 47. REMEMBER! The stock speedo reads higher than the actual speed gears with a 46 tooth sprocket. Thus your old fuel economy will "appear" to be higher.

The nice thing about having your speedometer correct is that your odometer reading is correct now too. The 46 tooth sprocket puts fake miles on your odometer since it reads faster than you're actually traveling.
I did forget to mention that i did account for that. I tracked my mileage via a gps app and found that even with the 43 sprocket, it was off slightly. It was consistently about 1.075Xodometer reading. Thank you for brining that up tho. Even with doing that, it was still the 39.5mpg at about 80mph.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stock sprocket on my 2011 bike. Im getting 46mpg (been tracking for 13,000 miles) that is with me running 80ish on the freeway for about 70% of my driving. I weigh around 220 with gear on. Im not too heavy on the throttle. Im always first from the line, but I am not hammering on it or anything. 4000 or less is when I shift. I usually hit 6th gear at 45mph or so.

link to my fuelly
Bike (Kawasaki KLE650 Versys) | Fuelly
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
at 80mph, I might expect 40mpg, yes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
...The nice thing about having your speedometer correct is that your odometer reading is correct now too....
I do NOT "buy" that statement - the odometer is a separate unit which has very little to do w/ the speedo.

On EVERY Versys 650 I've had the odometer was correct (or VERY close) at stock gearing, so by changing to a 43 tooth yours is NOW incorrect by about 9%.

It's just math.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 AM
MS.

Quote:
You should try a 16T front. It works wonders, is much easier to do than a 43T rear, costs less, and is easier on the chain. I did that to all 4 of my Versys, and loved it. 2nd gear wheelies were still a breeze, if that tells you anything about losing any torque. Speedo reads perfect after installing the 16T. Winning, all the way around.
purdytj likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fiddy Foh mpg here on my 2015.

Green color means save $$$ on gas?????

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode