• 1 Post By aboyandhisversys
  • 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By unstable_rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Blew a turn

Embarrassed to say that while coming home from a weekend ride last week, I blew a Z shaped turn doing about 30 mph. It was a pretty big open area and I looked forward to where my friends were at the end of the turn instead of where I needed to go. No traffic so no problem, but it provided one hell of a wake up call. Had done hundreds of twisties over the weekend with no problems or "Oh Sh.t's", then did this. Got distracted and went where I was looking.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM

It only takes once. This is why when reloading firearm ammo {gasp!} I have zero distractions. It only takes once and you have a big, fat problem on your hands with something you've done a gazillion times....
unstable_rider likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Garage
Its Happens.. Was out with a few buddies and the guy in front of me and the guy behind me both blew the same corner. Didn't get any footage of the guy behind me but my buddy in front of me handled it like a trooper..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Its Happens.. Was out with a few buddies and the guy in front of me and the guy behind me both blew the same corner. Didn't get any footage of the guy behind me but my buddy in front of me handled it like a trooper..https://youtu.be/OFK9bfTRFTg

I don't blame the fact that it is a Harley. I blame those stupid handlebars! Fine for cruising the boulevard, but have no place in the curves.
weljo2001 and crosshairs like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:06 PM

That wasn't even much of a curve.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave31410 View Post
That wasn't even much of a curve.

True but that spot throws you off because coming up on it it looks like the road goes straight then all of a sudden theres a turn...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Talk about a blown turn, I was riding with an old racing buddy last year. We were going to the central coast for lunch. Took the 198 west out of Coalinga. About a mile from the 101 there is this left turn, which is easy to negotiate at 50 mph (see pic).

Well my buddy was leading on his Kawa-Davidson Vulcan. Ken is a big boy tipping the scales at around 300 pounds, so you are looking at a lot of mass approaching the turn. I am trailing behind about 75 to 100 yards, when I see him go wide on the turn and end up in the dirt. Immediately he disappears in a giant cloud of dust.

Man I start praying, "Jesus please help Ken stay on the rubber." As I approach the turn the cloud of dust now extends about 50 yards down the side of the road and I and waiting to see the outcome. After what seems like an eternity, Ken emerges out the end of the dust cloud, still on the rubber and then back on the road. I began to laugh hysterically as a ton of emotion bursts thru the dam. Wow did he just dodge a giant bullet.

He pulls over about a half a mile down the road. I stop and run up to congratulate and laugh with him. He tells me he was looking at the distant mountain ridge when the turn snuck up on him. Yea sure it did Ken...Lol.

Oh and we did the same ride a year later but this time the smooth shoulder you see in the pic is now adorned with a drainage culvert. Had he gone off on the 2nd ride we would not have been laughing and smiling. Ride safe fellas.

Sorry about the funky pic. I could not save the image off of Google Earth so I just took a picture with my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180605_160113.jpg (72.5 KB, 21 views)
quexpress likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 06-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Great video Joe. Your pal handled it as more of "a last minute required adjustment in surrounding traffic" and made it look like it was planned!

+1
weljo2001 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Great video Joe. Your pal handled it as more of "a last minute required adjustment in surrounding traffic" and made it look like it was planned!

+1

Yes he did. But i would have loved to seen his face without that bandana on...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Its Happens.. Was out with a few buddies and the guy in front of me and the guy behind me both blew the same corner. Didn't get any footage of the guy behind me but my buddy in front of me handled it like a trooper..https://youtu.be/OFK9bfTRFTg
Them are not good cornering lines Joe

Your buddy looks like he could of made it proper but then stands the bike up and rides off into the dirt... maybe his pillion unsettled the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode