Steady at slow speed - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Cool Steady at slow speed

Hello,
finally got mine, I'm excited about riding it, now I have more than 600km (about 400miles) on it. Everythig seems just great, anyway have only question.
How do you get steady speed/drive at really slow speeds? Throttle is so sensitive so at 1st and 2nd gear I can normally accelerate or let engine run at idle speed. Otherwise as soon as I touch throttle in the blink of the eye bike is jumping forward, If I release throttle it starts to brake at almost same pace, so I struggle to get it slow and steady. If road gets bumpy things is getting even worse as it is not possible to handle throttle so precisely when all the bike is shaking.
As this is kind of offroad or at least bike with offroad capabilities, I suppose it has to be able to go at slow speeds.
And yes, I'm not talking about real offroad tracks, just a "baby track"

I have drove several bikes but never had issue like this, but on other hand I never tried offroad with such a powerful bike. Street - yes, but never offroad.

Maybe any comments? Driving technique?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
Hello,
finally got mine, I'm excited about riding it, now I have more than 600km (about 400miles) on it. Everythig seems just great, anyway have only question.
How do you get steady speed/drive at really slow speeds? Throttle is so sensitive so at 1st and 2nd gear I can normally accelerate or let engine run at idle speed. Otherwise as soon as I touch throttle in the blink of the eye bike is jumping forward, If I release throttle it starts to brake at almost same pace, so I struggle to get it slow and steady. If road gets bumpy things is getting even worse as it is not possible to handle throttle so precisely when all the bike is shaking.
As this is kind of offroad or at least bike with offroad capabilities, I suppose it has to be able to go at slow speeds.
And yes, I'm not talking about real offroad tracks, just a "baby track"

I have drove several bikes but never had issue like this, but on other hand I never tried offroad with such a powerful bike. Street - yes, but never offroad.

Maybe any comments? Driving technique?

Cheers!
You may want to work on your clutch and rear brake feathering control in sloooooow riding maneuvering.

Find an area to practice in off the road and you can use it in stopping in congested traffic or timing red lights on the road.

Have fun with it, then practice standing up on your pegs while doing figure eights.

Enjoy!

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch View Post
You may want to work on your clutch and rear brake feathering control in sloooooow riding maneuvering.
I suppose it is not a good Idea to slide clutch for longer period of time. I always tried to work with clutch in on/off way, ok, it can be slow (I mean clutch applying) but anyway on/off/on.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 AM

I practice all the time with the clutch and rear break to make it smoother in low speed maneuvering with the Versys 650. I also upshift to 2nd in slow speeds to make is smoother. Just pull in the clutch a little if you feel the bike vibrating a bit. It just takes time getting used to it and in no time, you will be very good at it.
MarvinDMartian42 likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Whenever I go very slow, especially when doing a 180 on a deserted road or in a tight parking lot, I will get the bike rolling then pull in the clutch lever and just coast. If I find my self running out of speed I let the clutch out and give it a blip of gas to keep things rolling then pull the clutch lever back in again.

Having the clutch in eliminates all the abruptness of trying to finesse the throttle. Another technique is if rolling fairly slow just leave the bike in 2nd gear and slip the clutch when it's time to get going again. This assumes you are not coming to a complete stop.

Find an empty parking lot and spend some time practicing these techniques, then when needed you will have the confidence to better enjoy your ride.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
I suppose it is not a good Idea to slide clutch for longer period of time.
It won't hurt the clutch to use it a lot if that's what you mean. I'm a pretty new rider too and dealt with the same issues at slow speed. Clutch and rear brake are your friend. I'm still debating about putting on a 43T or 44T on the rear to smooth it out. May be worth looking into for you.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 AM

agree and use front brake also...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:44 AM

If yours is a Gen3 (2015-) bike, many of them have abrupt throttle response at low RPMs and when rolling off the throttle due to the fuel injection mapping. There are various ideas on this forum to smooth that out: TPS settings, Booster Plug, Throttle Tamer, and just "getting used to it." There seems to be some variation due to differing ECUs for a few different countries. Not sure if that effects Latvia or not.
Turk and StormRider like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
If yours is a Gen3 (2015-) bike, many of them have abrupt throttle response at low RPMs and when rolling off the throttle due to the fuel injection mapping. There are various ideas on this forum to smooth that out: TPS settings, Booster Plug, Throttle Tamer, and just "getting used to it." There seems to be some variation due to differing ECUs for a few different countries. Not sure if that effects Latvia or not.
Yes, I suppose it's Gen3, this years make.
After some more reading I'm considering Throttle Tamer, but for now I couldn't find any seller in Europe where I can buy compatible one.
Can find in USA but as it is not very cheap, import taxes will rise it's price too much.
Maybe someone can point me to some EU store? where it is not sold out.

I know it's on other threads, but anyway, any comments on PCV? (power commander V)
Perhaps it's installation is not as easy as for throttle tamer and it's much more expensive. What would dealer say about it, how about warranty?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 AM

speed up
sternman318 likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

If you get tired of the low speed notchiness, consider trying a 16T front sprocket sometime when your due for sprockets/chain anyway. Doesn't cost much, lowers your RPM's by 500 at highway speed (feels like a 7th gear... ), and takes that on/off feeling out of things at the low end. Just a thought or option. You can get it with the rubber rubber-core like the stock one.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-06-2018 at 08:40 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
If you get tired of the low speed notchiness, consider trying a 16T front sprocket sometime when your due for sprockets/chain anyway. Doesn't cost much, lowers your RPM's by 500 at highway speed (feels like a 7th gear... ), and takes that on/off feeling out of things at the low end. Just a thought or option. You can get it with the rubber rubber-core like the stock one.
Could you point us to a good brand / website? I don't see any with rubber insert on sprocket center.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
I suppose it is not a good Idea to slide clutch for longer period of time. I always tried to work with clutch in on/off way, ok, it can be slow (I mean clutch applying) but anyway on/off/on.
its a wet clutch you can "slide" it quite a bit without causing damage. mine has 41k miles and still going strong and i slip it all the time (live on gravel road)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM

I had a bit of an issue getting used to low speed throttle on the Versys, what I finally did was set up a practice course in a parking lot that I made it a point to practice for half an hour (that's long enough believe me!) 2 or 3x week.

I set up start and stop points in a straight line, the goal being to stop as close to a line as possible.

I also practiced slow speeds in a straight line (chalk works well to lay out a line,) and panic stopping using both brakes (ease into that, it's easy to tip over.)

I then added stopping on gravel (not sure if your bike has ABS which can both help and hinder,) stopping uphill and downhill and on a slant (off camber.)

Be prepared with crash bars as you're likely gonna fall over somewhere in your training.)

Good luck.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

StormRider,

Yes, that is the part number, I believe it's actually a Ninja sprocket. I think there is at least one on ebay too, that's where I snagged the picture...

13144-0038

Looks like this: (some like it WITH rubber, some don't, some don't think it makes a diff.)

16T

More reading and opinions here.... (much like oil and tires...)

LINK:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-sprocket.html
StormRider likes this.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Garage
Thanks unstable_rider! Yeah, I've read a lot about whether to do front or rear sprocket back and forth forever. I do like that the front 16T is cheaper than a rear 43 or 44T.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Funny, I find my Gen3 Versys in a whole other universe of smoothness compared to my old Aprilia. I guess I'm lucky to have been conditioned by one of the worst fueling maps around
Doug Just Doug likes this.

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Garage
44T rear sprocket helped at low speed and allow you to make it through an intersection without shifting.

Just installed, but it appears a new exhaust(TBR) made the bike less jumpy/lug less at low speeds.

Agree with everybody else though that practice is the key.. I don't recommend, but riding in rush hour Chicago traffic a few times a week greatly improves these skills

Ring Rippers Founding Father
[/FONT]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
Funny, I find my Gen3 Versys in a whole other universe of smoothness compared to my old Aprilia. I guess I'm lucky to have been conditioned by one of the worst fueling maps around
Yeah, I think a lot of the perception is based upon what your last bike was. When I got my Versys, I was coming off at least 25 years of carb'd inline 4s, so a parallel twin with EFI and not much go below 5K felt very foreign.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode