Oil filler cap engine temperature gauge - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NightRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Question Oil filler cap engine temperature gauge

So I wanted to put an engine temp gauge in my V for peace of mind but didn't fancy the popular options among the users here.

Option 1 is tapping into the coolant line at the thermostat (Engine Guardian).
Option 2 is tapping into the oil pressure port at the bottom of the clutch case, the problem with that being the sender unit itself (which is NPT threaded) that goes into the female side of the 3/8" to 1/8" adapter (which is NPTF threaded) so it requires sealant or PTFE tape and I don't feel like messing around with that which is not specifically made for the bike and doesn't fit out-of-the-box (because I don't know when the sealant can fail and start leaking).

Furthermore, first option would require finding a spot for the digital temp display and trying to fit it on somehow (I don't think it's waterproof because it wasn't made for motorcycles) and the second option would require cutting the dashboard plastic since the gauges are made specifically for cars (2") and they won't fit into the accessory slot (I hate cutting up stock plastic unless I'm absolutely sure I will be 100% happy with the mod). And of course, both options involve having to drain coolant/oil. So it's all a bit messy and requires workarounds.

Unfortunately, there isn't a third option to get the readout directly from the stock sensor itself or through the ECU (at least I haven't found it).
So I looked around for a fourth option and found this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-...e/142045564522

It's a very simple and elegant solution and it requires no messing around with either the cooling system or even less desirable, the oil pressure port.
According to Puig that makes custom oil filler caps for Versys (both 650 and 1000), the same thread and cap size fits both bikes after 2015.
So this gauge for 2016 V1000 should fit on my 2017 V650 just fine (and there is much less concern about potential oil or coolant leaks).

I only have two questions: has anybody ever used one of these and if yes, how well do they work?
I will probably contact the seller and try to order one (since they don't ship to my country by default), but I just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience with them so I know what to expect. They do have the 30-day refund policy so I'm not too worried, if it doesn't work I'll just send it back.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 06-02-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Analogue Gauge

That is a lot of money for a analogue gauge on a motorcycle, subject to vibration. Your money your bike your choice. Oil takes much longer to come up to temp and also to change, coolant temperature can change in less than 3 minute's, which is why we have a over-temperature idiot light.I am running a Thermo-Bob and have been on my 07 and now my 2015, never looked back.Through experience having a good flow rate through the motor right from the start makes a huge difference, that is all I will say about the T Bob.

Many other means of measuring temperature accurately using a external RTD sensor, the biggest problem is most displays are meant to be mounted where getting wet isn't possible. If some engineer took a tri-colour LED like what is used with the Signal dynamics heads up voltage monitor and coupled it with a processor and 100 ohm RTD, you could then have a indicator as to temperature of the oil, and to go one step further add a adjustment for fine tuning say when it changes to red. You could also use the neat little voltmeter and scale it so the normal running temperature is green, as the temperature climbs above normal operating it would go orange, this is theoretical as the neat little voltmeter is calibrated to read up to 16VDC.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Yes, unfortunately it's not perfect but that's the compromise I'm willing to make as long as the thing works reasonably well. It's sufficiently non-intrusive and simple to use so to me it would be worth the $.
I would certainly test the thing to see if the temp shows anywhere near 215.6 Fº (102 Cº) when the fan kicks in and it should give me an idea how effective it actually is. If it's not, I'll return it.

The water inside the gauge is there to eliminate needle vibrations so it shouldn't be that hard to read despite its location, which can be considered a plus because it wouldn't distract me during riding while still allowing me to check the temp when I make a stop (which is when I need it to see if the fan should be on or not).

As far as the price goes, Thermo-Bob is quite a bit more expensive than this (including the P&P from the US to my country, which would probably be no less than $50), so there's that.
And I don't really need Termo-Bob as it is, since my climate is pretty warm and the bike has no issues warming up or staying warm for that matter (which is why I'm looking to make sure it doesn't overheat if the radiator fan fails for some reason). I've considered TBob as an option and decided I don't need it. I just need an engine temp gauge, that's all.
onewizard likes this.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature

Last edited by NightRider; 06-02-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Wrong Cº to Fº conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode