5Likes
  • 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Warranty question

Just bought a used 2014 Versys 650 with 3400 miles, I can get the Kawasaki warranty for $640. for 3 years. Would you pay it or leave it? Reg price is over $1000. Also is this engine a little noisy naturally? The dealer had taken it on trade and of course checked it before they bought it. I have till Tues to decide, thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:35 PM

Garage
I had an 09 V-650 that i had for 4 years and sold it with over 22,000 miles on it never had any issues. Still had the original chain on it when i sold it. My 2016 Versys 1000LT came with a 2 year warranty which ends in the next few months. I just got a notice that i could get the extended warranty for up to 4 more years. I doubt that i will get it. These bikes are built pretty bullet proof. The only reason i would consider one would just be for piece of mind.....If i owned anything but a Japanese bike i would buy any warranty available for it...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

The engine noise you may be hearing is "happy valves".

Once the valves tighten up, the noise goes away. That's when you have to worry.... (time for valve check service)

But you will be fine for a very long time, as your bike has basically no miles on it!

I think you will be fine. These are really solid bikes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:36 AM

I never buy warranties. The seller is gambling they won't have to pay out. If it weren't profitable for them, they wouldn't sell the warranties!

Of course there is risk if your engine blows up next week without warranty. But the cost of the warranty is pretty high compared to the value of the bike and the dollar risk you take without warranty.

If it were me I wouldn't buy the warranty.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

At $600+ for 3 years what does it cover? Think it over and if you feel it gives you a peace of mind then you invest.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isom2575 View Post
Just bought a used 2014 Versys 650 with 3400 miles, I can get the Kawasaki warranty for $640. for 3 years. Would you pay it or leave it? Reg price is over $1000. Also is this engine a little noisy naturally? The dealer had taken it on trade and of course checked it before they bought it. I have till Tues to decide, thanks for any info.
Remember that the folks who MAKE your bike are betting it WON'T break, while IF you get the extended warranty - you are betting $640 that it WILL....

My '08 has 79,042 miles w/ NO problems; my '15 has 54,xxx kms (fork seals were replaced under warranty); and the '09 I had lasted till a low-side crash on the Dempster Hwy near Inuvik, NWT, but was THEN ridden for THREE LONG-G-G days back to Kelowna where it was 'written-off' by the insurance co.

I would personally spend that $ on tools (if you don't have many), and/or BEER (for WHEN you finish a job!)....

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies, if it were not for the slightly noisy engine, I wouldn't normally even think about it. Plus $200 per year is not bad. Anyone know why I dont have a like button to hit on the posts?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Very expensive premium for what will be covered, which is only the items that are not very likely to fail. Better off setting aside the cash or paying as you go. You could pay an independent m/c tech to inspect the bike before you buy it, too, which would probably be money much better spent. As mentioned above, it’s basically a gamble which may in a few rare cases pay off for the warranty buyer, but overall the “house” never loses. But if you do buy the warranty, by all means do not finance it.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Garage
I bought the extended warranty for my Vulcan Voyager because I got it for $250 for 3 additional years and because it was all new in 2009. I'm so glad I did. The Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release mechanism that is mounted to the top camp chain sprocket flew apart and sent pieces of metal all throughout the engine. Complete rebuild at 50,000 miles. Would have cost me over $2000.
unstable_rider likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Well played!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode