• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By Jmason
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Dodged a Bullet

I would rather be lucky than good. Will probably never be good, so might as well be lucky.

This has been a favorite saying of mine for years and it certainly came to pass day before yesterday.

Have been getting ready for a big ride, big at least to me. Heading out Monday for a 3 day 1000 mile cruise thru the Sierra's. Got the new cell phone holder and charging system in place. Valve adjust, throttle body synque, and new plugs. Little V bee ready to go...or so I thought.

So I am sitting in the garage sipping on a tall cold one looking at the bike when a thought drops into my peanut brain: "Perhaps I should do a load test on the battery." The bike is a 2015 and still has the original battery. Probably still alive because it has always been on a tender when not being ridden.

Low and behold the load test is a great big failure. In fact the bike won't even start. Crapola, actually I think I used the "F" word. Man if that would have happened Monday morning I think I would have resorted to throwing tools. Better duck cuz Tool Time Tim is on a tirade.

Grabbed a new battery yesterday from a buddy that runs a local battery shop and now the universe is in order once again.

Dodged the big one aka, Rather be lucky than good.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

After watching a video that Weljo put up about carrying a small battery jump pack, it has been on my mind to order one.
If not to use on one's own bike, perhaps to assist someone else and offset a guy's Karma in a positive direction.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
Thanks for sharing hawkerjet! Safe travels. Battery is number one overlooked component.
hawkerjet likes this.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:11 PM

Great! I have a 2015 with the original battery and I've always had the battery tender connected if the bike was not being ridden. The fact your battery tender didn't give any warning (as mine are supposed to do if the battery is not ready to use) gives me some concern.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
Great! I have a 2015 with the original battery and I've always had the battery tender connected if the bike was not being ridden. The fact your battery tender didn't give any warning (as mine are supposed to do if the battery is not ready to use) gives me some concern.
The best way to check a battery's health is to do a load test on it. If the voltage drops too much under a load then it is time to replace it.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM

How do you load test it? My '15 battery always cranks just fine, and the tender shows no problems.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
How do you load test it? My '15 battery always cranks just fine, and the tender shows no problems.
You can pick up a load tester fairly cheap. It checks voltage but under a load which is where you get the true health of your battery.

The tester will have a colored scale indicating battery health. Here is an inexpensive example.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT...P1QSCNDCVCN0A4
quexpress and Fly-Sig like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
You can pick up a load tester fairly cheap. It checks voltage but under a load which is where you get the true health of your battery.

The tester will have a colored scale indicating battery health. Here is an inexpensive example.

Mmmmm....another tool. Loves me some tools. Thanks for the link sir.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Battery Load Tester / USA / Canada / On Sale

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html

Canada:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8494031e
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-26-2018 at 07:50 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Kinda have to chuckle. You look at all the different brands of cheap testers and they all pretty much look the same.

Probably because they were all made in the same Chinese facility and then branded with the distributors name.

Gotta luv the Global Village...Lol.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

Thanks for the heads up! Under load, the battery on my 2015 shows "weak".... time for a new battery.
hawkerjet likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
After watching a video that Weljo put up about carrying a small battery jump pack, it has been on my mind to order one.
If not to use on one's own bike, perhaps to assist someone else and offset a guy's Karma in a positive direction.
I am a firm believer in keeping jump packs in my vehicles. I bought this one for the Versys - very small and compact and fits in the tank bag easily, but plenty of power to crank the v-twin over! In fact, I also used it to start a 1984 Honda Accord -4 cylinder- that had been sitting with a dead battery for 4 months - it turned it over with no problem, too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quexpress likes this.

'09 Versys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
Yes i have a battery pack and have used it several times to jump other people off. I also have a set of Powerlet Motorsport Jumper Cables hooked to my bike. It great to jump someone off or to get yourself jumped. But if your in the middle alone in B.F.E. then they are useless. Thats why i bought the jump pack...

Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM

You're scaring me. I still have all good readings on my original '09 battery, and only tend it occasionally. Maybe it's because I put on an auxiliary fuse box so everything isn't tied to the battery. i.e. Oxford heated grips, aux. lights, air horn. My Backoff module, lighted hand guards and the lights for the Givi bags are all directly wired tot he appropriate wires. I'll get a new one soon. What are the suggestions these days, gel vs. standard?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
...What are the suggestions these days, gel vs. standard?
AGM - absorbed glass mat.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode