• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By GreenRubi
  • 1 Post By snowman
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Oil light during test ride of 2009 versys

Hello
I’m interested in purchasing a 2009 versys as my first motorcycle. I found one at a local dealer for a good price, 3400 before taxes and fees. When I pulled into the dealership after my test ride the oil light came on and I informed the employee at the store. He had me stand the bike upright so he could look at the oil level and said that there was, “too much oil.” Now, I don’t know anything about motorcycles so I just assumed he was telling the truth in the moment but now I’m not so sure. So I wrote this post to ask more experienced and knowledgeable people if that’s something I should be concerned about before purchasing the bike. Everything else seemed fine to me but it’s hard to be confident when you have no prior experience.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Welcome.

$3,400 seems a little pricey for an 09 model. How many miles on it? In my neck of the woods low mileage 2013 go for about $3.500.

I've never heard of an oil light coming on because of too much oil. Oil lights come on because the oil pressure is too low (not enough oil in engine, bad oil pump, etc.). However too much oil could cause engine damage.

You are making a sizable investment in this bike, and as you stated it is your first bike. A Versys can make you a very happy person. A lemon can deal misery. It's not the only Versys for sale. If you let the forum members know your local, I'm sure they will chime in and let you know what is for sale in your area. We are not here to make money, We are here to help. That's what we do.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

the bike had 11,500 miles on it. It sounds like having the oil pressure light go off is not a good first impression. I live in the Seattle, WA area and have been using craigslist and cycle trader to mostly find bikes, I didn't think of using this forum but that is definitely good advice.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underagroove View Post
Thanks for the reply.

the bike had 11,500 miles on it. It sounds like having the oil pressure light go off is not a good first impression. I live in the Seattle, WA area and have been using craigslist and cycle trader to mostly find bikes, I didn't think of using this forum but that is definitely good advice.
There are plenty of bikes out there, and I believe the market is pretty soft for sellers (at least it is in my area)... I would keep looking.
unstable_rider likes this.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Forgot to ask. How far are you willing to travel to pick up a versys?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
3400.00 before taxes and fees....Don't walk....Run away from that deal.....
DaveC, Fastoman and Skypilot 69 like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

First Rule of Buying a BIKE ; BE VERY PATIENT.
Second Rule ; LOOK AROUND AND DON'T FALL IN LOVE THE FIRST TIME YOU SEE A BIKE.
Third Rule ; look for the best deal $$$$.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
3400.00 before taxes and fees....Don't walk....Run away from that deal.....

Some local examples... I know two dealers right now within 100 miles where I can pick up brand new 2014 Vstrom 1000's for around $7500 OTD... one with factory sidebags.

I know a dealer within 10 miles who just dropped the price on a fully farkled 2007 Vstrom from $3300 down to $1695 (been sitting on his floor probably 6 months)

I've seen several '08 Versys' on CL for $2800 that were there at least 3 months.. don't know if they sold.

Also... Cash talks, most folks who want to sell a bike will fold if you show them a wad of cash. (I've folded a time or two...lol)

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...When I pulled into the dealership after my test ride the oil light came on and I informed the employee at the store....
I can't say for sure, but the ONLY time I had a 'low-oil-pressure' light on any of my Vs, was just before my cross-Canada ride last July.

On the advice of a friend I removed the wire for that light, cleaned the end, re-installed it and all was good.

As to that particular '09 - I'd KEEP LOOKING...!
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 PM

Garage
don't listen to anything the dealer tells you about that bike--walk away

Deep in Cajun Country
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I can't say for sure, but the ONLY time I had a 'low-oil-pressure' light on any of my Vs, was just before my cross-Canada ride last July.

On the advice of a friend I removed the wire for that light, cleaned the end, re-installed it and all was good.

As to that particular '09 - I'd KEEP LOOKING...!
Just looked at my records for what I did:

"...put dielectric grease into electrical connector into 'oil pressure sender' - FIXED!...."

The sender is just on the LOWER RIGHT-SIDE of your engine, a slight bit to the REAR of the filter's mounting surface.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Just to chime in (wished I lived closer, I'm in North Idaho) - This is indeed a high price. Seattle prices these days on just about everything is awful... *8).

Craigslist is a good place to research bikes and prices. Look in: Yakima, Monroe, Tacoma, Bellingham, Spokane, Tri Cities. Don't just look in Seattle. You're missing out. Be prepared to travel, but more importantly be prepared to come back empty handed.

Dealerships (sometimes called Stealerships) can be a good friend, or your worst nightmare. WAY back when, I usually walked the floor and looked to see what the dealer had. I then compared prices to other dealers in the area on similar models, or checked Craigslist.

Remember that the dealer has to eat too, and sometimes I'll willingly pay a hundred or two extra just to have the dealer on my side. His shop is a LOT better equipped than mine if there's something odd going on with my ride, assuming that the shop isn't a bunch of hacks. Given the goofy legal system these days, most dealers that I know today are a pretty good bunch to avoid legal problems.

That said, LOOK BIKES OVER CAREFULLY whether Craigslist or dealer. Bring a knowledgeable friend if you have one.

As said earlier: do NOT fall in love with the first bike you see unless you just can't live without it.

First off: mileage really doesn't matter. I've seen 100,000 mile bikes I'd ride to Tierra Del Fuego. I've seen 4,000 mile bikes I'd run from.

Look for obvious signs of abuse (they're hard to hide): broken pieces, sh!tty aftermarket exhaust, broken or missing plastic/fairing pieces, worn out tires, crappy/noisy chain, worn out sprockets.

Check the steering head by somehow (curse that center stands don't come on bikes as standard any more) lifting the front wheel of the ground, and wiggle it back and forth. Notchiness or clicking: bad. loose back and forth movement: bad. try and twist the handlebars and the wheel in opposite directions. any movement: bad. Ask if the bike has a maintenance log (I ALWAYS keep one.)

Ask: (you'll probably get a wrong answer): has the bike ever been laid down? wrecked? pieces replaced? Sometimes a 'yes' answer is no big deal.

Look inside the gas tank for rust. look up under the rear fender/wheel and see how bad things look up there. rust, road crap, corrosion etc.

Look under the seat for wiring surprises. I'm automatically fearful of any 'wiring jobs'. 8 out of 10 times they're gonna cause problems, guaranteed.

Spin the rear wheel and listen to the chain. If it's bad news you can tell. Check the chain for tight/loose spots. Try YouTube if you're not sure what I mean.

Bounce up and down on the bike. Bad noises? no shock absorption? stiff as a board? It may be suspension adjustment, or bad news. Be aware.

As somebody earlier remarked, cash talks. Man up and offer a lower price. Be reasonable, the owner and/or dealer has to eat as I mentioned.

Good luck.
abramsgunner likes this.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 05-25-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
Just to chime in (wished I lived closer, I'm in North Idaho) - This is indeed a high price. Seattle prices these days on just about everything is awful... *8).

Craigslist is a good place to research bikes and prices. Look in: Yakima, Monroe, Tacoma, Bellingham, Spokane, Tri Cities. Don't just look in Seattle. You're missing out. Be prepared to travel, but more importantly be prepared to come back empty handed.

Dealerships (sometimes called Stealerships) can be a good friend, or your worst nightmare. WAY back when, I usually walked the floor and looked to see what the dealer had. I then compared prices to other dealers in the area on similar models, or checked Craigslist.

Remember that the dealer has to eat too, and sometimes I'll willingly pay a hundred or two extra just to have the dealer on my side. His shop is a LOT better equipped than mine if there's something odd going on with my ride, assuming that the shop isn't a bunch of hacks. Given the goofy legal system these days, most dealers that I know today are a pretty good bunch to avoid legal problems.

That said, LOOK BIKES OVER CAREFULLY whether Craigslist or dealer. Bring a knowledgeable friend if you have one.

As said earlier: do NOT fall in love with the first bike you see unless you just can't live without it.

First off: mileage really doesn't matter. I've seen 100,000 mile bikes I'd ride to Tierra Del Fuego. I've seen 4,000 mile bikes I'd run from.

Look for obvious signs of abuse (they're hard to hide): broken pieces, sh!tty aftermarket exhaust, broken or missing plastic/fairing pieces, worn out tires, crappy/noisy chain, worn out sprockets.

Check the steering head by somehow (curse that center stands don't come on bikes as standard any more) lifting the front wheel of the ground, and wiggle it back and forth. Notchiness or clicking: bad. loose back and forth movement: bad. try and twist the handlebars and the wheel in opposite directions. any movement: bad. Ask if the bike has a maintenance log (I ALWAYS keep one.)

Ask: (you'll probably get a wrong answer): has the bike ever been laid down? wrecked? pieces replaced? Sometimes a 'yes' answer is no big deal.

Look inside the gas tank for rust. look up under the rear fender/wheel and see how bad things look up there. rust, road crap, corrosion etc.

Look under the seat for wiring surprises. I'm automatically fearful of any 'wiring jobs'. 8 out of 10 times they're gonna cause problems, guaranteed.

Spin the rear wheel and listen to the chain. If it's bad news you can tell. Check the chain for tight/loose spots. Try YouTube if you're not sure what I mean.

Bounce up and down on the bike. Bad noises? no shock absorption? stiff as a board? It may be suspension adjustment, or bad news. Be aware.

As somebody earlier remarked, cash talks. Man up and offer a lower price. Be reasonable, the owner and/or dealer has to eat as I mentioned.

Good luck.
Hey man,

Thanks for all the info, buying in Seattle seems like I’m gona be paying an inflated price. Amazon has made just about everything expensive. The original bike I looked at was priced at 4K and I was only able to get it as low as the 3400. Checking out Craigslist these last few days has proven that most people’s asking price is in the 4K area. Thanks for all the tips on what to look out for on used bikes, sounds like the lack of center stand on Versy’s makes general maintenance/checking damage inconvenient.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:32 PM

Garage
Fly in ...Ride Home...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ny-extras.html or Drive there and tow it back...
aboyandhisversys likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 PM

Garage
Was in Your Shoes

I just pulled the trigger on an 09 with just over 4400 miles. I paid well below what you are being quoted and got tons of extras from an older gentleman up in Maryland. I did have to drive a few hours each way, but it was well worth it. I got a rear stand, 2 Jackets, 2 pairs of pants, and the service manual to go along with it. Probably another few hundred bucks worth of stuff. Like other's have said, be patient and the right bike will come. Good Luck!!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Hey man,

Thanks for all the info, buying in Seattle seems like I’m gona be paying an inflated price. Amazon has made just about everything expensive. The original bike I looked at was priced at 4K and I was only able to get it as low as the 3400. Checking out Craigslist these last few days has proven that most people’s asking price is in the 4K area. Thanks for all the tips on what to look out for on used bikes, sounds like the lack of center stand on Versy’s makes general maintenance/checking damage inconvenient.
It's actually ANY motorcycle. I bought a ZX14 and had to shell out an additional $250(?) on the centerstand for the bike.

There's a SPECIAL place in hell for the cost cutters that do this to us...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:57 PM

How about this little jewel?

This just surfaced on our happy little forum...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...condition.html

fly to Colorado and ride home. You can stop by here on the way back...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

There's a '15 V650LT in Utah asking $5,000, WELL farkled!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ny-extras.html

MAYBE do a "fly-and-ride"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM

Ask for maintenance records on anything you consider. If it wasn't documented, it wasn't done.

You know, for double that chunk of change you could get a new one....
I have 67,000 km on my 2013...
weljo2001 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 AM

Garage
Be aware you can rent a motorcycle trailer from UHaul for ~$15/day to go pick up a motorcycle you purchase which might increase your shopping range.

Don't forget to budget for a Snell or ECE approved helmet, gloves and jacket. I would suggest avoiding helmets with ONLY a DOT approval sticker as the DOT safety standard is several decades out of date and in light of more up to date helmet stands like Snell, ECE and Sharp. The DOT standard is no longer relevant from a safety standpoint. For instance the maximum impact forces the DOT standard allows to be transmitted to the brain are in fact fatal when compared to more recent medical studies on head injuries.

One trick is to look at the drive chain, if it is relatively free of grit and has a greasy coating it means the bike is well looked after. If it is caked with years of road grim, dry because it has no lube, or has so much slack it can slap the swing arm, it means the bike has not been mechanically maintained.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...aki-versys-650
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-31-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode