• 1 Post By Turk
  • 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Joined the 21st Century

All my riding buddies have a cell phone handlebar mount and associated charging capabilities. So they get to enjoy listening to music and keep from getting lost with the aid of navigation on their phone.

Well today I went from being a low tech Fred Flintstone to high tech George Jetson. I joined the cell phone on the bars crowd.

Since I had the tank and body work off to do the valve adjust I figured it would be a good time to install the charging hardware. Picked up that unit from Cycle Gear. Unfortunately I installed it in the factory port on the instrument panel...but the caveut is the hand guard mounting hardware collides with the phone charging unit when plugged in.

So it was off with the tank and body work again, cut about a dozen tie wraps and start over. You will see in the pics that I found the perfect spot for the 12v cigarette port. It is totally out of the way of everything. It doubles as a phone charge unit and receptacle for my battery tender. Gotta luv that double duty.

Gonna take a long trip next week and will be ready now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175404.jpg (74.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175352_1.jpg (58.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175335.jpg (60.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175427.jpg (81.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175224.jpg (41.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180521_175143.jpg (48.4 KB, 76 views)
Fastoman, unstable_rider and Turk like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep double duty sux. But look at the silver lining on that dark cloud. Your doing double duty and telling us why means we learn from your mistake and only have to do single duty. THANKS
Oh! And welcome to the 21st century.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a Garmin GPS for most navigation, but I do sometimes need the smart phone to find .gpx track files people share with me to find routes and such.

Below, I am the triangle shaped icon on the left- and the markers to the right of me are a trail or trails I am trying to get to, some or all of it gravel. I am just finished with exploring one trail, both ends of the trail are marked with icons. I can see that the big collection of the next trail(s) of interest are just out of the 10 mile ring around me.

I call it "sinking submarines", as it's like watching a radar screen. I have maps for three states around me with trails marked to go chase down. It's mostly a solo-hobby, couple of my chums have fancy bikes they don't want to get dirty.

The program is called LOCUS MAP PRO... it's free. A bit of a learning curve, but I have stumbled through it the last two riding years and had fun with it.

My normal deal though is, once I am done hunting trails and sinking submarines, I pack up my phone and get it off my bars. I don't want the distraction of a call or text coming in, nor do I want to be accused of dinking with my phone at highway speeds. Then I just fly the Garmin.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Well I screwed that up. I took double duty to mean doing it twice. Tried to edit but there is no longer an edit button. where did it go. I think old age is catching up to me. Oh crap maybe I'm in the 20th century and my last name is really Flintstone.
unstable_rider and hawkerjet like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Well I screwed that up. I took double duty to mean doing it twice. Tried to edit but there is no longer an edit button. where did it go. I think old age is catching up to me. Oh crap maybe I'm in the 20th century and my last name is really Flintstone.
No you are correct. I not only installed twice but it also does both charge my phone and then while in the garage I plug in the battery tender.

So I guess you could call it double double duty...Lol.

Yea and I am with ya on losing our edit ability.

Hay where is the o'l fast super moderator when you need him??? Lol. Pretty sure he could splain it all to us.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ram Mount also makes a ball mount that simply replaces one of the four bolts on the Versys handlebar clamp. I use this with the same RAM X Mount. Cost is about $10US/$14CDN for the ball mount.

https://fortnine.ca/en/ram-mounts-ha...ase-ram-b-367u
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
No GPS, no tunes, no data on phone (emergency use only,) paper maps.
I don't mind getting lost, it's part of my riding adventure. I'll crawl back in my cave now and let the discussion continue.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
No GPS, no tunes, no data on phone (emergency use only,) paper maps.
I don't mind getting lost, it's part of my riding adventure. I'll crawl back in my cave now and let the discussion continue.
You must be Fred's neighbor...how ya doing Barney? Just kidding.

I did it your way for years. Guess I am just getting lazy in my old age.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I prefer paper maps and looking at the lay of the land. But I am old fashioned. A few years back I learned how to navigate by sextant just because.

With a GPS I tend to be too heads-down, and I get engrossed in the numbers to the nearest decimal place. It is a lot more enjoyable to forget all that stuff and keep it simple. The anticipation and uncertainty of precisely what is ahead is part of the fun.
Smiley likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM

When I first added my Garmin to my bike ten years ago I would painstakingly plot out routes for my trip on my computer and transfer them to my gps unit. And then I would follow those routes, almost to the letter. Now I use the gps as a riding aid. Do a bit of research on interesting places to visit and only use the gps when looking for specific destinations.

Iím adding a phone mount to my second bike soon. I would ditch the gps but itís weather proof, vibration proof and useful when crossing the Canadian border so I donít have to use international rates for data.

I like your location solution for the outlet, hawker.
hawkerjet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM

If I use a city as a waypoint to get the route I want my GPS isn't happy until it's guided me to the exact geographical center of said city. Rode down the coast of Oregon and it kept telling me to do a u-turn for about 20 minutes past Astoria. Eventually it will give up and continue the route.

Gotta love technology! I still like an old fashioned map to plan my trip.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'll be damn if i give up my flip phone...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'll be damn if i give up my flip phone...

Should be Damned.....What happened to the edit button ??????

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
When I first added my Garmin to my bike ten years ago I would painstakingly plot out routes for my trip on my computer and transfer them to my gps unit. And then I would follow those routes, almost to the letter. Now I use the gps as a riding aid. Do a bit of research on interesting places to visit and only use the gps when looking for specific destinations.

Iím adding a phone mount to my second bike soon. I would ditch the gps but itís weather proof, vibration proof and useful when crossing the Canadian border so I donít have to use international rates for data.

I like your location solution for the outlet, hawker.
If using Google maps pre download map data when you are on WIFI and have free high speed data. It does not use data this way except to look up addresses and will work without data if it is not available. Another option is one of the many other GPS apps that are ported GPS apps designed to run on dedicated GPS units and have been ported to Android. Example HERE, Co Pilot, Tom Tom, etc..

You can also usually get an add on for your phone's plan that you purchase ahead of time from your cell provider for no additional charge roaming out of country for usually $10, usually paid just for the month of travel. I live in Canada but live near the border so frequently cross to the US side. Cell phone providers rip you off with roaming fees unless you simply turn off roaming on the phone or subscribe to a cross border roaming plan ahead of time. I have a friend who was charged $100 for using their phones GPS (with roaming data) for a two day weekend in Boston.
Turk likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
Since I can no longer edit posts I will have to add this afterthought here...

List of Best Apps for Motorcyclists from Bike Bandit
unstable_rider and Turk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode