California Superbike School on the V - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
California Superbike School on the V

Has anyone done the Keith Code school? I am going to use my V next weekend at the Barber Speedway in AL. Too old to want to go fast, just want to be a better rider with more confidence. Not sure what to expect, a little concerned as the rental bikes (none were available when I booked) are all fast liter BMWs and I donít want to get run over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 AM

I did a Reg Pridmore school a few years ago, and have done a couple of track days. For the school I was on a Suzuki GS500. One of the track days was on a Honda Hawk. Usually there are rules such as no passing on the inside. The main thing is to keep a consistent line so anyone passing will know what to expect. Don't brake or turn in too early.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Has anyone done the Keith Code school? I am going to use my V next weekend at the Barber Speedway in AL. Too old to want to go fast, just want to be a better rider with more confidence. Not sure what to expect, a little concerned as the rental bikes (none were available when I booked) are all fast liter BMWs and I donít want to get run over.
I did the school years ago when they were using the kawasaki gpz550's at Pocono raceway. Than a couple years later at Watkins glen on the schools ninja 600. There is nothing to concerned about they run a very well controlled school. You will have a good time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

The California Superbike School was great! I did level one and can honestly say I am a better rider as a result. Training is based on the physics and mechanics of why a Motorcycle handles the way it does. Classroom session followed by track, each session builds on the previous with a coach review after each session. Their rental bikes are newish BMW RRs. 403 lbs, 200 HP! I was late to register and the rentals were all spoken for so I rode my 650V.

My objective was not speed but simply to become a better rider with more confidence. While I would have loved to ride the BMW, I am glad I rode my V. She handled beautifully and the chicken strips on the rear tire are all but gone. I now have more confidence in myself and the V.

I highly recommend this training, go as fast as you are comfortable to go on a race track, 50 foot wide track no oncoming traffic. Parking lot training classes are great for what they teach, but this training is totally different. You can read books and watch videos but actually practicing at speed on a track makes all the difference.
quexpress, Mulley, timster and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:31 PM

I had some buddies that took the the CSS level 1 at Barber Monday. It made me wonder how my Versys 650 LT would do on the track. I've ridden track days in the past on previous bikes (Tuono 1000R Factory and BMW K1200RS). My main concern with this Versys is the overly soft forks. I'm 270LBS and running stock springs, so it's nowhere near sprung properly for me. Even in novice groups for a standard trackday (STT at Barber or Talladega GP) the average speeds are pretty quick so I was concerned about being in the way. Now after hearing from my friends that took the level 1 and reading this thread I feel like that won't be an issue at CSS.

Mulley
15 Versys 650 LT, 16 Beta 300RR, 15 KTM 500 EXC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulley View Post
I had some buddies that took the the CSS level 1 at Barber Monday. It made me wonder how my Versys 650 LT would do on the track. I've ridden track days in the past on previous bikes (Tuono 1000R Factory and BMW K1200RS). My main concern with this Versys is the overly soft forks. I'm 270LBS and running stock springs, so it's nowhere near sprung properly for me. Even in novice groups for a standard trackday (STT at Barber or Talladega GP) the average speeds are pretty quick so I was concerned about being in the way. Now after hearing from my friends that took the level 1 and reading this thread I feel like that won't be an issue at CSS.
Just crank up that preload. I am about 260lbs myself and haven't found the front end to be too soft once adjusted. I run 5 turns out on preload up front which is perfect for canyon riding and would probably go to 2 or 3 turns on a smooth track. I think they usually have separate groups for novice/slower bikes (i.e. 300s, 650s, newer riders on 600s) and one for the fast bikes (i.e. literbikes and fast riders on 600s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode