Lever Protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sean O.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Lever Protection

Looking at putting some lever protection on my bike in case of drops, crashes.

Looking at the Bark Buster Handguards.

Any thoughts or comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean O. View Post
Looking at putting some lever protection on my bike in case of drops, crashes.

Looking at the Bark Buster Handguards.

Any thoughts or comments?
I would first install crash bars. Between crash bars/engine bars and hand guards, the crash bars are MUCH more important as they provide 99% of the protection in a tip over.

Unless you ride off road hand guards are really more of a cosmetic thing. Levers are $15-20 to replace and take less than 5 min with the on board tool kit to install a new one. They also always break in a way that leaves them still usable enough to get you home. So from the lever protection aspect they do not really pay dividendents. Nor do they from the hand warmth aspect. Insulated gloves or heated grips are a lot more effective. They will protect your hands from tree branches if you ride single track in a heavily wooded area, If your brave enough to ride a 450 lb bike like this, other than that though, they are more a cosmetic enhancement IMHO.

I was forced to remove my Barkbusters a few years back when I installed steel braided brake lines. The fix for the brake lines, a longer bolt on the barkbusters holding them further out from the bar, then interfered with the turning radius of the bars due to the windshield. I do not really miss them although I liked the look. I've dropped my bike several times with and without them, enough to determine they don't really do much from the protection standpoint in a tip over, the OEM bar end weights are just as effective in this regard. My SW-Motech crash bars on the other hand have saved the bike from damage too many times to count and have the battle scars to prove it.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-15-2018 at 10:14 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

I have the Zeta handguard-bars that have the extra curve at the end of the bar. I also run stainless front brake lines, and have no clearance issues left/right full turn, and I also totally clear my windscreen.

There were not the cheapest bars- these are nicely robust, they are the more expensive than some (but cheaper than Barkbusters).

I did make one small spacer up to offset it a little on one side but it was easy enough.

I think I got them through Chaparral, but I see Amazon has them too. I also carry a spare clutch lever!

https://www.amazon.com/Zeta-Aluminum.../dp/B001LV4KCG

Last edited by unstable_rider; 05-16-2018 at 01:13 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:05 AM

Bark Busters are the second best mod I have done on the bike. Gear shift indicator is the best.

I love I can put the plastic shields on in the winter for wind blocking and take them off in the summer and get the air flow and still have the protection.

Had my knee slip out of the socket at a stoplight and dumped the bike. Didn't even put a scuff on the busters.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would first install crash bars. Between crash bars/engine bars and hand guards, the crash bars are MUCH more important as they provide 99% of the protection in a tip over.

Unless you ride off road hand guards are really more of a cosmetic thing. Levers are $15-20 to replace and take less than 5 min with the on board tool kit to install a new one. They also always break in a way that leaves them still usable enough to get you home. So from the lever protection aspect they do not really pay dividendents. Nor do they from the hand warmth aspect. Insulated gloves or heated grips are a lot more effective. They will protect your hands from tree branches if you ride single track in a heavily wooded area, If your brave enough to ride a 450 lb bike like this, other than that though, they are more a cosmetic enhancement IMHO.

I was forced to remove my Barkbusters a few years back when I installed steel braided brake lines. The fix for the brake lines, a longer bolt on the barkbusters holding them further out from the bar, then interfered with the turning radius of the bars due to the windshield. I do not really miss them although I liked the look. I've dropped my bike several times with and without them, enough to determine they don't really do much from the protection standpoint in a tip over, the OEM bar end weights are just as effective in this regard. My SW-Motech crash bars on the other hand have saved the bike from damage too many times to count and have the battle scars to prove it.

Your mileage may vary.
I have the Zeta handguard-bars that have the extra curve at the end of the bar. I also run stainless front brake lines, and have no clearance issues left/right full turn, and I also totally clear my windscreen.

There were not the cheapest bars- these are nicely robust, they are the more expensive than some (but cheaper than Barkbusters).

I did make one small spacer up to offset it a little on one side but it was easy enough.

I think I got them through Chaparral, but I see Amazon has them too. I also carry a spare clutch lever!

https://www.amazon.com/Zeta-Aluminum.../dp/B001LV4KCG
It is a factor of what steel braided brake lines you have and what aftermarket windshield you have. I have Gaffer lines that run a separate line to each caliper on the front wheel direct from the brake reservoir. As a result of the two lines attaching there, there is interference with the inside mount of the bark busters. To fix this you need to extend the distance from the bar for this. This in turn interferes with my Givi Touring screen on my MK2 Versys. Using brake lines that have a cross over, over the fender instead of the two separate lines would have prevented this. I'm not saying Bark Busters or similar hand guards are a bad idea, only that they are really a cosmetic thing rather than a fully functional mod from my experience with them, at least if you are primarily a pavement rider like I am.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-16-2018 at 05:33 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
I agree. So far I've dropped my LT once and the SW Motech crash bars protected the handle bars and levers from any damage at all. Not so much as a scratch.

I had to remove the OEM hand guards when I installed a plug-in Garmin Nuvi. The hand guards interfered with the Nuvi plug doing full lock turns. Because I use heated gloves, I haven't missed the hand guards at all even though I ride through the winter.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is a factor of what steel braided brake lines you have and what aftermarket windshield you have. I have Gaffer lines that run a separate line to each caliper on the front wheel direct from the brake reservoir. As a result of the two lines attaching there, there is interference with the inside mount of the bark busters. To fix this you need to extend the distance from the bar for this. This in turn interferes with my Givi Touring screen on my MK2 Versys. Using brake lines that have a cross over, over the fender instead of the two separate lines would have prevented this. I'm not saying Bark Busters or similar hand guards are a bad idea, only that they are really a cosmetic thing rather than a fully functional mod from my experience with them, at least if you are primarily a pavement rider like I am.
I am running the same brand braided brake lines as you - and I rigged mine line you did, running two separate lines of equal length.

No problem, just a matter of getting things adjusted right. I have a MRA Vario screen from Twisted Throttle. I ride lots of gravel and blacktop.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I have the Zeta handguard-bars that have the extra curve at the end of the bar. I also run stainless front brake lines, and have no clearance issues left/right full turn, and I also totally clear my windscreen....
Me TOO (on my '08).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I am pretty sure that was where I got the input from in the first place, Ed....
and I ran with those too...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Installed the Barkbusters. I love them. The look of them, seem sturdy. Relatively easy to install. I haven't even put the guards on yet, just the backbone. I ma keep them like that for the summer.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 AM

Garage
If you need something for winter wind protection fine but would these not do the job for most riders. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Clutc...sjYufh1bVEaevw

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:39 PM

Moose on mine

Product ? Moose Racing

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:15 PM

i have barkbusters storm, not attached at the bar end, but very stable at 80-90mph on I-10 west for long distances. if pushed, they bend back to the bar weight and "grab it", protecting my hands and the levers in a couple of ride all day, end of the day tip overs (ouch!). they touch my givi screen, but i can still go to full lock. i did have to modify the handle bar brackets on installation, but they function great. with winter gloves, oxford heated grips and the storms, my hands are protected and toasty in cold weather. without something stopping the wind, cold seaps through the seams on the fingertips of even premium winter gloves, even with heated grips, and your finger tips freeze all the same. one of my best mods on the bike.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:23 PM

btw, i do have sw motech crash bars as well. the radiator seemed the most protruding and vulnerable point on the bike, and the sw motech bars address this. and though i use a givi topcase, i also use soft saddlebags as well, which has protected the bike in said tip overs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode