4Likes
  • 2 Post By motorboy
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Few Questions

Hello to all as a new member of the 650 Versys forum.

Although not yet purchased, I'm much closer to committing to a new 2018 LT. And, I'm beginning to "de-content" my 2002 BMW R1100S to prepare for sale. I've loved the bike for over 55K but it's time for another sport-tourer.

I recently had the opportunity to sit on and become familiar with both a new 2017 and 2018. They, of course, feel identical.

Questions:

1) As far as I know, the two years are mechanically identical and the only difference between them are color changes?

2) I've searched and read about Hepco Becker and SW Motech accessory centerstands for the 650. I read the WebBike World eval of the Motech product for an older Versys featuring clear and descriptive photos.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2015-ka...-stand-review/

The interference between the lift pad of the center stand and the OEM sidestand is clearly shown. And the eval confirms you do not have to trim any of the lower plastic fairings when the stand is deployed.

Is there a general preference of the Motech over the HB and if so, details please.

3) The slight side-to-side travel of the OEM Kawasaki hard bags on the 2018 was obvious. Has this "free play" posed any issues over time for anyone? Is it intended to provide some sort of weight shift compensation for us riders?

I'm sure I'll have more questions so I appreciate your patience.

Thank you in advance.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The slight free play in the factory hard bags is incidental. Ideally it wouldn't happen.

There are several threads on this forum about the hard bags. While I generally like them a lot, there are some significant limitations to be aware of.

The good things first. They mount and dismount very quickly and easy. They are keyed to your ignition key, so you don't need an additional key on your keychain. Note then that you may want to buy the hard top case with the bike so that it, too, is keyed to the ignition key. They seem waterproof enough, at least in light rain. There is no rack, so when you take the bags off the bike it looks naked. They have been strong and durable.

The bad things: Price and shape. For what they are, the price is really steep. Any hard luggage is going to cost in the same ballpark, but, still, for a couple of plastic molded boxes the price is a painful. The real downside is the shape. They don't hold rectangular objects very well. The volume is pretty good, but because of the shape it is really difficult to get things in there. A basic briefcase, for example, doesn't fit. I have a soft shoulder bag the same dimensions as a briefcase but a bit thicker front to back, and it doesn't go in the side luggage without squishing it around. I have to take the tablet out of the bag to get it in there! Also, because the luggage is side opening rather than top opening, it is not easy to really stuff them full when they are mounted on the bike. For touring when you have a lot of stuff to get in them, you have to take them off the bike to pack them. Finally, the max weight you can put in each is 11 pounds. That's not much!

I have had the side luggage pop open on me. It was my error in not making sure it was latched properly, but the point is it is easy to lock them without them being latched. I now wrap a velcro tie around the handle to ensure they stay shut even if I screw up latching them properly.

If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten the factory side luggage. I would have gone with a rack plus aftermarket rectangular boxes that are top opening.

The top box is made by Givi, and you can get the identical unit but without the matching color for less $ than the Kawi branded top box. It won't be keyed to your ignition. I have the non-Kawi branded Givi top box and it is an excellent box. If you haven't had a top box before (I never had one before), it is super convenient. I would opt for the top box rather than the factory side luggage if I could only have one or the other. You can add brake lights to the top box for extra visibility.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
...1) As far as I know, the two years are mechanically identical and the only difference between them are color changes?

3) The slight side-to-side travel of the OEM Kawasaki hard bags on the 2018 was obvious. Has this "free play" posed any issues over time for anyone? Is it intended to provide some sort of weight shift compensation for us riders?...
1)...Yes, except that the '15 650 did NOT have a gear-indicator.

3)...I have over 50,xxx kms on my '15 LT, and - YES - they have free-play, but it's never been a problem for ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...For touring when you have a lot of stuff to get in them, you have to take them off the bike to pack them. Finally, the max weight you can put in each is 11 pounds. That's not much!....
I would BET that the "11 pound" restriction was written by Kawi's lawyers as a CYA (Cover Your A$$) - when I rode to Alaska in '16, then across Canada last summer, my bags were FULL, but I didn't weigh them.

Here's the right bag, grub and cooking stuff

while here's the left bag, clothes in the khaki bag, and 'maintence' (chain lube, etc) stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6064814.JPG (339.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P6064813.JPG (329.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P6064812.JPG (395.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P6064811.JPG (383.3 KB, 34 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
1)I would BET that the "11 pound" restriction was written by Kawi's lawyers as a CYA (Cover Your A$$) - when I rode to Alaska in '16, then across Canada last summer, my bags were FULL, but I didn't weigh them.
I figure engineers usually use a 2x factor in designs, so the boxes should be good to at least 22 pounds. On my back country camping trips I have a gallon of water in one side and a gallon of gas in the other, plus whatever else I fit in. They weighed in at 15-18 pounds plus the empty weight of the box.

Keeping the cg low is good, so putting the liquids in the bottom of the panniers makes sense compared to in the top box or strapped on the seat.

11 pounds does seem like an awfully light limit. It must be derived from something, maybe stability tests with an aft cg. Since I'm a light weight and don't carry a passenger my only worry is the strength of the attachments to the bike. It sure looks sturdy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hold off on the center stand till T Rex releases theirs-should solve all the problems of the others-should be out in a month or so-according to T Rex

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
while here's the left bag, clothes in the khaki bag, and 'maintence' (chain lube, etc) stuff.

What's the crutch for?

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
What's the crutch for?
Eddie's a pensioner.....
otto_versys_blotto likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_versys_blotto View Post
What's the crutch for?

Lubing the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Eddie's a pensioner.....
... but CORRECTOMUNDO as the "Fonz" would say.
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Fly-Sig and Fast Eddie for the luggage insight and observations. Any additional comments from others are more than welcome.

I'll keep a look out on the T-Rex site for their centerstand, Motorboy. Thank you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:

Lubing the chain.
genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
Thank you Fly-Sig and Fast Eddie for the luggage insight and observations. Any additional comments from others are more than welcome.
I'll keep a look out on the T-Rex site for their centerstand, Motorboy. Thank you.
I'll definitely be on the lookout for that center stand as well, either that, or get me a crutch for the fasteddie method

2010 Aprilia Shiver 750 "Ruthy"
2018 Kawasaki Versys 650LT ABS "Lucy"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM

There''s a nifty commercial product called PackJack which does the same thing as Eddie's crutch except it folds up and it can kind of lever the bike up. I've been on the lookout for a cheap crutch at the local DI (Deseret Industries - the local charity thrift shop) to cut into a stand like Eddie. I've been pondering whether it could be fashioned to fold like the PackJack, too.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:36 AM

FWIW, I agree the shape of the side bags isn't perfect, but I seldom pack hard rectangular items in the bags. Most of my packing squishes in without much fanfare. But hauling a hard sided briefcase would be difficult for sure. I traded a Ninja in for the V LT so I could get the OEM hard bags. My choice and not what everyone wants. I simply appreciate the security of hard luggage. I don't necessarily live in a high crime area, but still...I like locking things up when possible. I don't use the side bags most of the time because of where I park my bike and cannot get them and the bike through the door. But the top case remains on the bike. Best thing I invested in for the V.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM

I also have the SW Motech center stand. I knew of it's interference with the side stand prior to purchase, but I have no problems using the two. The guy that installed the stand did not cut any plastic. Seems to work fine aside from the interference thing that can occur if unaware.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GPD. I, too, would probably invest in the top case and use it daily...the side bags reserved for the larger items. The tank bag on my BMW R1100S was used on nearly every ride for convenience and I expect a top case to serve the same purpose with even more capacity and security. Yes, a typical sized rectangular briefcase would be an issue (as Fly-Sig points out) but probably not for me personally.

Quote:
From the "Oh, by the way..." department:

Good 'ole Fonz was, in real life, very unwilling to ride a motorcycle. Henry Winkler was, as I read many years ago, seated on the bike and pushed onto the set for the scene!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Lubing the chain.

Okie...I mean...Canook engineering at it's finest eh?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode